Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Proposed Budget: $50,000
New or Used: New
Body Style: 2 door
How will you be using the car? Daily driver, relatively long commute, some driving around town, no more than 1 passenger 99.9% of the time. No cargo, no kids, no towing.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Not really interested in getting extra gizmos beyond what's standard at the price point.
What aspects are most important to you?

1) All wheel drive is mandatory. I went from AWD in my previous two cars to RWD in my current car and I want my AWD back. There is just enough bad weather where I drive to make the RWD piss me off 1-2 times a year, and I'm tired of that poo poo.

2) After that my priorities are about 50/50 performance vs. comfort. My current car is a 2007 350Z, and I'm willing to give up some performance compared to that, but I don't want something that feels like a total dog by comparison.

3) I can live with a relatively high cost of ownership and don't care that much about gas mileage, but reliability is important.

So far the main candidates seem to be, in rough order of guessed at suitability:

BMW 335i xDrive
Infiniti G37x
Mercedes-Benz C350 4Motion

The Audi A5 and TTS look like they're too slow and the S5 and TTRS break the budget. Acura and Lexus don't offer anything like what I'm looking for. I've heard the Cadillac CTS is a good car and they do offer AWD but the looks really put me off.

Does that pretty much do it? Are there any pros or cons that aren't obvious from the spec sheets before I start test driving? Are there any major differences in the real-world usefulness of the different manufacturers' AWD systems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

The C-class coupe isn't available with AWD, the only AWD version is the C300 sedan with 248hp.

Go to mbusa.com and one of the options for the C350 coupe now is 4Matic.

Unless Car & Driver reviewed a non-existent thing? http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-mercedes-benz-c350-4matic-coupe-instrumented-test-review

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Oh. I did check on mbusa to be sure but I didn't go into the options. :downsmile:

Yeah, it's weird how they don't list it as a separate model like some of the other 4Matic cars.

:iiam: