Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Sup Goons going back to college and I need to buy a car before the 28th since my school schedule either conflicted with my work schedule, or my wife's work schedule no matter what. We currently share a 2004 F150 5.4L Lariat so we want something pretty drat economical on gas. I was really hoping we could get some rear end in a top hat cheap hybrid. Don't want a Cruz eco we already had one (wife loved it but I'm not buying another). Not within budget even if we did but that kind of gas mileage is what we want.

Proposed Budget: ~$5,000-$6,000
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Doesn't really matter but a 4 door would probably be cheapest on insurance.
How will you be using the car?: No hauling we have a truck for that. This car will get pretty much exclusively city miles with a little light highway. Will be our roadtrip car but even the truck isn't terrible for that.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Yes but it won't affect our decision heavily either way.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style): Just overall cost is most important. I want reliable, low maintenance, and good MPG at a low price (I know it's asking a lot but we can't really up our budget anymore.)

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For your money you're looking for Focus/Protege/Civic/Corolla/Sentra etc etc. If you can tolerate a little cosmetic damage that can go a long way towards getting something cheap.

Thanks I was looking at a dealership earlier there's some cars in that range. There's a Camry with low miles and a newer Civic also with low miles.

What do you think about getting an older Camaro/Charger or something and throwing a crate motor in there? I've got some friends who could help with putting a new engine in there. If I keep the displacement low I can probably get semi-decent gas mileage, right? Also if I got a brand new crate motor from Summit it would be well within budget I think.

Something like this: http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/3497400070.html or older of course...

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
My wife and I need a 2nd car because I started a new job, and our schedules don't match up well enough for us to keep sharing. Purchase will be probably in August or September. We're just looking for something reliable and good on gas. It will mostly be her car, and our road trip car when we can.

Currently we drive a 2004 4x4 5.4L F150 that I want to keep, because it's really nice having a truck in the mountain desert climate we currently live in: we get a poo poo ton of snow during the winter. Also being able to haul stuff in the bed is really nice

Proposed Budget: $10-20,000
New or Used: Unsure
Body Style: 4-door midsize probably
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver. She might be getting a job in Berkeley/Redwood City though, so there might be a long commute in the near future. Currently she has a short commute.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, MPG, cost of ownership.

She can drive a manual transmission (and even prefers it I think) so that isn't really something to take into consideration.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 7, 2013