Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

sandoz posted:

Well nobody has responded to this yet, but I've upped my budget to around $15k and I'm considering a 4-door Civic Si. Anyone have any thoughts on them?

I have a 2008 Honda Civic (not Si) that I bought new. It just eclipsed 50k miles on it and I've had the normal maintenance done including tires at 40k and recently the pads. I will probably get a new battery before this winter.

In short, I love the car. By myself, it has enough power that I don't notice a lack of it, but with 4 people it really dogs in an uphill situation. I am sure the Si is much better in that respect.

I also replaced the all weather goodyears with a more aggressive tread all weathers. The gas mileage went down a bit. Of course I did it before last winter and it happened to be super warm and I drove in the snow all of 3 times. The stock tires suck on the snow (but the Si might be different, I don't remember)

The only other complaint I have with the car is that the paint or clear coat scratches really easily. Don't ever go through an automatic car wash. Putting any bag on the car and moving it across the surface will leave marks. Even if its groceries.

The interior of the car is a bit smaller than others at the Civic's price point. I don't mind, and my 6'1" 175lb frame fits fine to drive.

If you buy it used, make sure to get the radio reset code with the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

IOwnCalculus posted:

My brother has an 06 Si coupe and he loves it. I've driven it a bit and it felt like a solid, fun car... But my Mazdaspeed3 simply spanks it in every category other than perhaps fuel economy.

I check out the 3 when I bought my civic. I chose the civic because the 3 was about 4-5k more and had 2 less stars in most of the crash tests.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

When I bought my car I negotiated a rate with my credit union before hand. It was easy, they had an IM service and secured the loan without leaving the house. When I was finishing up with the dealership we talked about financing. It was a 30 second conversation, he just said there would be no way to match the rate.

I got 1.5k for a 1999 Mazda 626 5 years ago so good luck with your Saturn.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

BeastOfExmoor posted:

In a way, I suppose. It's somewhere between a hatchback and a sedan since it doesn't have the full space extending all the way to the rear door. I haven't really played around with a Prius to see how much that slanted rear door inhibits space so maybe it's not bad.

I unfortunately discovered the existence of the Ford C-Max which is a little sportier and a full-on hatch. Pretty much out of my budget since it's only available new at the moment, unfortunately.

You gotta specify which Prius these days, the c and v are definitely hatchbacks.

http://www.autoinsane.com/2012/03/02/reviews/first-drive/toyota-prius-c/

http://www.motorward.com/2011/01/toyota-prius-v/

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Claverjoe posted:

Proposed Budget under 30k
Type of car: Sedan->compact range (used or new)
To be used for: Daily driver, occasional road trips
Primary goals: Mileage, comfort

Anybody have experience/recommendations with non-Prius Hybrids? I've tried out a Prius, and they just don't feel right in terms of visibility. I'm 6'1 and pretty wide/fat at 240, so comfort would also be up there for me.

This is in an "eventually" stage for me, as a post doc, I don't get paid much, but if I do go into industrial r&D it pays well enough for 30k or less cars, and I have a preference for used cars, as I can do some basic work on them (up to installing a clutch, or needing a winch in general).

I've driven a lot of HEV, or PEV and most of them don't feel as good as a Prius. I dunno if the reason is that they are originally designed for a different power train or what but they aren't fun to drive. I haven't driven EVERY hybrid so don't take this as an absolute.

If you are looking to accommodate a large frame then have you checked out the small hybrid SUV/crossovers? Also, what about non-hybrids?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Weinertron posted:

The Hyundais and Kias I've seen with automatic transmissions claim that the ATF is a "lifetime fluid" and the service interval on the engine coolant is 10 years / 120k miles for the factory fluid and then every 2 years after.

I'm pretty impressed that they're doing these insanely long powertrain warranties in combination with unbelievably low maintenance schedules. The manual for the Kia Soul said it needs nothing more than oil changes and new air filters, and a coolant change after 10 years for the first 150k miles. The manual even explicitly says not to check your ATF. How long does a conventional auto last with no fluid changes ever?

Edit: Don't these 6+ speed automatic trannys also make more heat because they are constantly shifting? Lifetime fluids freak me out, but given that both luxury and economy manufacturers are doing it I suppose they must know much more than I do. I just think its crazy that my Miata suggests replacing the whole goddamn waterpump every 60k miles while I'm in there doing the timing belt, and modern cars have coolant that lasts a decade.

They design parts from the ground up with a certain lifetime fluid in mind. They'll send that fluid out to our really far the gently caress out research projects and get really angry if we don't use it for concepts that are 20 years out. The amount of reliability testing they do with those fluids is jawdropping.

Every time I hear someone replacing their ATF with some performance goop I die a little inside, just because of all the work that goes into characterizing the factory fluid.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

nm posted:

It depends. VW/Audi said that the fill on the ATs on the B5 Passat and A4 was "lifetime." ZF disagreed and recommended 60k mi. The fluid manufacturer said not over 75k mi. Now we have VWs making GBS threads transmissions at 150k or so (admittedly VW and Audi probably didn't expect the cars to last past 100k mi).

Yeah, not sure about that, as my experience isn't with VW/Audi. Everyone has their own fluid they use, and some are closer to their fluid than others. It is a weird industry.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Geckoagua posted:

I agree, it's a pretty crap situation. The other insurance company is covering the rental until monday, but I really dislike having to pay out of pocket for something with zero return. In my brilliance I never took the rental clause on my insurance so I can't really use that option. I'm thinking I will check out several places over the weekend, if I simply don't find anything I'm satisfied with I'll extend, but I'd rather not.

Does anybody have an opinion on Nissan's? I really like what I see but nobody seems familiar with the brand.

Have you thought about Scion FRS? There is no telling what the reliability would be like, but the manual is at $25k and the automatic is at $26k. The people I know who have driven it love it, but I've heard its hard to find on lots right now. That might suck with the time pressure.

quote:

The new Camry is quite nice as well. Worth trying out, especially if you're gonna drive it til it dies.

The new Camry V6 is really nice. Last week I had a Camry V6 as a rental from Mon to Wed, then on Friday I got a rental upgrade to a Mustang V6 and I got all excited and it was kind of disappointing driving it because it wasn't really anything amazing after driving the Camry.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 7, 2012

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Based on him cross shopping the Optima and Altima, what makes you think he wants something like the FRS/BRZ?

I actually found the 4-cyl Camry to be more than adequate, power wise.

Last time I was buying I tried to drive as many different things as I could, because its a good excuse to drive a lot of cars, and you might surprise yourself. Each to his own I guess.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

lumbergill posted:

I should be able to afford it (income of ~150K, no dependents), but it seems... frivolous, I guess. My last car was my most expensive purchase to date, at ~4K.

I guess I need to start test driving cars, figure out whether I really value a challenger or a FR-S more than a Focus and money in the bank.

The FR-S has a real nice sound for the motor its got. I'm really thinking hard about one but having a 5 month winter really blows

Since you're in Texas just try it out!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Saltin posted:

It's got to be because it only has 4k miles on it. Even when I put it in sport mode and shift myself it feels heavy. You are right about the steering too, there is a massive dead spot in the middle of it and I feel disconnected from the road. Maybe I am spoiled by my G37, I dunno.

I drove one last year and I felt the same way about it. I was geeked for my first Mustang drive and I was pretty disappointed. It felt like any other sedan in its class except for the fact that due to the sporty styling it had poo poo visibility.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

spoof posted:

Coworker brought the Fit over tonight (an '08), and wow, lots of stuff fits in the back with the seats down. Definitely meets my storage needs, and can almost get 2 for the price of 1 TSX wagon.

Given the residuals, does it make sense to buy a Fit used? Honda is offering to finance @ 0.99% for 36 months (total cost of borrowing: $342.51 assuming MSRP). On the other hand, not much has changed since 2011 and the last refresh was in 2007.

Wait, looks like a new generation for 2014? Launching in Japan in September but Canada closer to the new year? That's... inconvenient seeing as how I was hoping to close within a few weeks. First year of a new generation, and first to be built in Mexico. Red flags, if I can wait?

I know this is some ways off but if you are going to be driving in the winter a lot, I'd try to drive the Fit in the snow a bit. Its very light and Honda loves using low tread tires (at least last time I drove the bunch of them). They are kind of a pain in the rear end in bad conditions.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

How much is bonus taxed in Canada and can you pre-tax draw from bonuses?

I'm in a similar situation going to lease, and that way I can sell my current car and use that money to pay off my student loans. The big risk I suppose in doing a company supported lease is that it goes away if the job goes away, but then again repeatedly taking in a huge mileage truck is pretty awful.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Reggie Died posted:

Someone can correct me as I'm not an accountant, but pretty sure bonus's in Canada are counted as any other income, so the with holdings will vary based on tax bracket. For instance, my last bonus of $4200 came to ~ $2,300 after taxes. The lease payment would be deducted before the bonus was assigned. For instance; there was a 3 month window between my last two bonsues, so under this plan, my pre-tax bonus would have been $3,300.

- 600/month lease split 50/50 = $300/month
- 300 x 3 months = $900

I somewhat see your *risk* as a benefit, to be honest. If the job were to go away, I would be free and clear of any obligations, compared to financing a vehicle personally. I could then asses my financial situation and see how much vehicle I could afford at that point in my life. I would, of course, be out of pocket whatever lease payments I made.

I think I need to figure out how much $300 pre-tax is worth post-tax, and asses the situation from there.

This is a bit different to how bonuses are taxed in the US, but it seems like you got it figured out pretty well. The only other thing I would check is the upfront payment (if there is any even) and the mileage cap compared against the mileage you usually do. You probably already have but you didn't mention it yet.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Internet Explorer posted:

Cross posting this from the Subaru thread to get some more unbiased opinions.

So I test drove the WRX and the Focus ST today. Definitely prefer the WRX. I think Ford has made some advances but it just felt so much more cheaply made. I know everyone was raving about how nice the inside of the Focus ST is, but I didn't see it. Clutch and break felt much more "economy" as well. Looking at the WRX Limited with a bunch of options included for 28.2, before tax and tag. Going to drive the Mazdaspeed 3 tomorrow. If anyone feels like tossing anymore WRX wisdom my way, I'd appreciate it!

There seems to be a trend with the domestics to try and blow people away with bells and whistles interior, but they do this by sourcing the sub systems from cheap places. I really wonder what these cars are going to be like in 5-10 years. Unfortunately its getting to all the other makes now and it looks like its going to turn into a race to the bottom. :/

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

My coworker drives an xB, and anytime he starts stopping he just starts doing the manual downshift thing, like immediately. It beeps at him each time he moves the lever because it would over rev, but he keeps pushing it back over and over until it finally goes. He says it saves the brakes and it drives me totally loving insane.

AFAIK the xB is on the chopping block, I don't think it'll be around much longer.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Throatwarbler posted:

The Nissan Pathfinder/Infiniti JX will do it, if that's the only thing you care about.

These don't have a sliding door though, its amazing what a sliding door can do for you when it comes to hooking children in, especially 3 at a time which I couldn't even begin to possibly imagine.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Really any super popular car from 10-15 years ago that you can go pull parts from the junk yard is an option too. Just make sure nothing big is a common failure for a particular car you look at beforehand.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Throatwarbler posted:

poo poo, for $20-25k you can get a very nice 2012 Grand Cherokee that is objectively better than any of those in every category, including interior quality, will go pretty much anywhere in any weather, handle on-road like it was based on a Mercedes M-class platform, and without any of the pretentious baggage of a MB or Audi. For the first time in in your adult life you can be proud of your country.

Is he Italian?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

I have to agree with the lightly used experiences as well. I tried negotiating a year old sti with 10k on it and the guy wouldn't go under $1000 from msrp. The whole thing about the car losing a ton of value when it comes off the lot isn't really true anymore.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

I'm always surprised how often Dodge cars are recommended in this thread but to each their own I suppose.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Throatwarbler posted:

The Challenger is a fine car? What's wrong with it?

Just the general build quality of all their cars is not on the same level as others. They cut a lot of corners in how things go together to reduce cost.

skipdogg posted:

Ehhh there is a few reasons for this.

One Throatwarbler is a prolific poster in this thread and favors Dodge vehicles, much like I personally favor Ford, so that tends to be our default recommendation.

Another is they're selling for cheap right now and represent a good value for the dollar. They're not going to be the best vehicle in the class, but if you are on a budget and comparing midsized sedans, a 200/Avenger can be had ridiculously cheap. I personally don't have a problem with Dodge vehicles, there just tends to be better choices out for the money.

Oh I have absolutely no problem with Ford recommendations, I think they're quite nice cars. Probably the best domestic but Chevy has been doing a good job lately too.

Dodges sell for cheap but there is a reason for that. Margins are very small on passenger cars. There are just so many vehicle choices I don't know why you'd settle.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

kmcormick9 posted:

Is it possible to get a non us option by doing one of those programs?

I doubt it, even factory direct ordering outside of normal customer channels (in my experience) still limits you based on location. Even state to state what is standard, option, or even available options can vary. However, I have never done an order through BMW so I could be wrong, but the regions are very well defined from that perspective.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Also buying under time pressure is always a negative. I mean you have quite a while.

That said in getting a winter package will be easier/cheaper in a northern state, especially higher end stuff which SUVs generally are. A lot of times some of the minor winter things (like headlight defrost) isn't even mentioned unless you dig deeper, which none of the cars in Texas are going to have.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

nwin posted:

My wife had one a while back, but it was an 04 or 05 model. The dogs need some space. Two boston terriers that are 20 pounds a piece and a 10 pound mutt. They're good with going in the back seat though, so I agree with lateral space for em. We usually stash extra poo poo on the bottom area of the backseat.

Towing a big sedan through the Appalachians with a V6 Highlander is going to be way more inconvenient and bad than doing something like stashing all 3 dogs in the front passenger seat. Just ship the car.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

200k is fine if you're willing to put a bit of preventative service into it. Just keep in mind that preventative service is a bit more involved north of 100k, but nothing near impossible these days.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's not that bad. I lived in the Boston area and drove a 1-series with snow tires and did just fine. I now drive a Focus ST and honestly it's marginally better in the snow but not much.

Pretty much any heavy rwd car will be fine, but a miata in even a slightly hilly area is going to be in trouble. At the start of winter the miatas collected at the bottom of the biggest hills are sort of a tradition around here.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Saturn was actually a weird GM experiment in doing literally everything differently about cars, from the showrooms to the sales experience to the part distribution network to the vehicles themselves. A ton of cool poo poo came out of Saturn which GM eventually ruined.

Some people loved the hell out of it too. My sister would only buy Saturns and went to these Saturn owner meets and everything. They captured the sort of buzz that Prius did, way earlier, and proceeded to do poo poo all with it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Is a hatch that much more important to you that you'd get a Fit instead of a Civic? Fits are super small and your budget could land you a 08-10 Civic.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Light cars are OK in snow when your driving without any traffic, but the moment you're surrounded by soccer moms who have never driven anything less than 4000 pounds it sucks. Everyone gets really impatient with you at the lights especially in hilly areas.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

The light truck market died a long time ago, I think its a combination in the way CAFE is laid out and market space.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I went and test drove a 2010 Prius with ~50k miles on it. Everything looked in good order as far as exterior/interior go. I don't know a lot about cars so I didn't bother opening up the hood or what have you. It's selling for 14.5ish. It was a rental car for about 40k it looks like.

My folks are trying to convince me to spend the extra money and get a Prius C or a Yaris or some other small car because they are concerned about the lack of warranty on the used Prius.

Advice? There's another 2010 Prius at another dealer with similar mileage with a sticker of 17.9k.

This thread recommends Priuses but also recommends avoiding former rentals. Help!

Don't buy a used rental car no matter what it is.

Imagine buying a car from a guy who just let hundreds of random people drive it for a few days at a time.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Ciaphas posted:

Even though I'm probably going to buy new anyway, I looked around for local CPO Priuses. Found a 2012 top trim (the "Five") with 35k miles on it... for $26k, or only about $5k less than a new 2014 of the same trim.

Is that normal for Priuses or Toyotas or something? What the hell.

The whole losing half the value when rolling off the lot is pretty much a myth these days, especially for small/cheaper cars from good makes. Cars last longer and people now realize this, plus the fact that the last 5 years the new car injection rate to the market was about 75% of normal.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Proposed Budget: This part is my biggest problem. I don't really know how much car I can afford. I'm a fresh college grad, single, no student loans or any debt except my current car note (275/mo). I'll be making about 80k a year in the Florida panhandle. I'm looking to buy a nicer car, so on the upper end of whatever budget makes sense under that situation.

New or Used: New, although I'm open to used if it is highly recommended

Body Style: I'd like to keep it in the range of 2 dr coupe to small SUV. No real preference on which end of the spectrum, though.

How will you be using the car?: Daily driver. 15ish minute commute to work and driving around town. Handling/performance is important, but comes second to the gizmos and doo-dads. I listen to a lot of music on my drives, so a decent sound system is a must. Definitely looking for a backup camera as my current car (2012 Nissan Juke) has me hooked on them. Really looking for a car with a nice array of features.

What aspects are most important to you?

1. Features. Maybe not the most responsible thing to list first but whatever. Apple CarPlay looks cool!

2. Reliability. The less time/money I invest between scheduled maintenance visits the better.

3. Handling/Performance. I'd definitely like something that's a blast to drive on top of all that other stuff, but I can make sacrifices here if need be.

I haven't done a lot of research, but the Audi Q5 has caught my eye as a possibility. I'm not very knowledgeable of car brands, though, so I'm not sure if that's a good one or not.

How much money are you going to put down on it? An Audi Q5 is getting up there for $80k/year. Don't forget to estimate like $200/mo for insurance as well. Edit: That's my Michigan mind, I dunno what insurance is like in Florida.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How does this make any sense to anyone at all?

Different trim packages maybe?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

That Acura is going to be another 40k car, if you only trade in your payment is going to be $600 a month for 4 years. You can do it but you're going to be giving a lot up to drive a particular car for 30 minutes everyday. Think of what you could do with that much money per month.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Throatwarbler posted:

Don't know if you are referring to the TSX but even a Sportwagon with every single option is nowhere near $40k.

Considering it's the final year of that model and they are going to be discounting them to make room for the new TLX.

Don't buy either. Buy something that actually depreciates?

The TLX is replacing the TL as far as I know, which starts at 37 and def goes up. I don't think he's going g for the base model either.

I agree the tsx is a more reasonable car to top out in considering the salary.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Throatwarbler posted:

The TLX is going to be replacing both the TSX and the TL - The base TLX will be a 2.4l 4 cylinder, same as the TSX, while the TL came with a V6 standard and AWD available.

That being said I was curious and looked up the TL on Truecar.

Sheeeit that's not much more than an Accord V6.

Whelp rip all wagons then.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Ciaphas posted:

Should I be watching for a trap if a dealer offers to make the remaining three payments on my lease? Just finished testing the Mazda 3, really like it, dealer mentioned that along the way when we were taking about my current car.

(edit phone posting is hard)

There might be some cash back incentive that you won't be getting instead, check on that.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

WorldTravelerX posted:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I see there are a handful of RLs in Dallas, I'll go check one out.
And I've test driven a Buick Lacross. Seemed nice enough, but I'm only 50. Maybe I'll get one when I'm 60.
And I should test drive a MKZ.

You can also get Lexus IS in that price range used with cooled seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

anne frank fanfic posted:

Thats never happened ever

There's a guy that rolls coal around here with a bunch of vinyl letters stuck on, like 'FORGET GLOBAL WARMING' 'SCREW YOUR PRIUS' and '5 MPG!!!!!'

Everytime I see him he is towing skidoos for whatever reason.

edit: Man for sure I thought there'd be a pic of him on the internet somewhere, I found this instead.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 3, 2014