Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Hello goons, I've just moved to Connecticut from Australia for 2 years and need to buy a car in the next week or two.

Proposed Budget: $6000-7000 out the door. Can stretch this but don't want to. No finance.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4-door. Mid-size or compact if its a hatch/wagon or has fold down rear seats.
How will you be using the car?: 20-mile each way commuted 3-4 days week. Occasional 100-150 mile round trip to bike races etc.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability. Relatively easy for a scrub to drive in snow when needed. Enough room to get a road bike in the back (with the front wheel off).

There is a lot of brands/models here that I'm not familiar with, so I'm leaning towards Subaru/Mazda/Toyota/Honda. I'm drawn to the Subaru's a bit, but not for any concrete reason.
From what I can see in ads, cars around here have a lot of miles for their age, so it'd be good to know what other people see as "too much", and if the winters are harsh enough that buying a 9-10 year old car is becoming a bit of a gamble.

Also, it seems like trying to buy a car from a private seller in this state is a real shitshow, so probably from a dealer.

simmyb fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

tater_salad posted:

Sometimes people on Craigslist are 1. Nuts, 2. Pad the price so people think they are getting a deal.
I plan on putting my civic up for 300-400 more than I'm willing to take becsuse even priced with it's issues in mind people will try and negotiate me down.

Which to be fair almost every buyer and seller expects.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Can I get some advice to for pricing my old car to sell quick:

2009 Impreza 2.5i, located Connecticut

191,000 miles

Runs well, heat and A/C all good. Has had Takata airbag recall service done.

Issues:
Valve cover oil leak, possible other oil leak
Control arm bushings dry rotted
Battery service required
Muffler flanges rusted out
Heat shield rattle
Recommended fluid change in diffs
Hole in carpet near left foot rest driver side
Dent on passenger side front quarter as shown in pics
Has recently installed used tires, approx 7/32" depth. Needs alignment

Emissions due 26 Jan 2019

Pics: https://ibb.co/album/jRZCtv

Moving back to Australia in 10 days (heck), so need to move quickly. Is $2k reasonable or optimistic? My backstop is $600 to sell to a junk car place

Thanks!