Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The one thing missing from all the maintenance talk here is fluids. They at least need to be checked for correct level. In many cases, changing the fluid at a different interval than recommended will have a huge impact on the life of the car. For example, anyone with an '01 and newer automatic Volvo who doesn't change their transmission oil can expect it to take a poo poo around 100k miles. People who change it at a 30k interval have been able to squeeze 200k or more out of the original tranny. Coolant is another one that will sneak up on you. It may seem to be working fine, but you won't know that you should have changed it more often until it's way too late. It's relatively easy to change, and cheap enough that it's dumb not to do it.

NJ Deac posted:

My car has a timing chain instead of a timing belt. I've done a bit of research and the manufacturer indicates it should last "for the lifetime of the engine." More like, the engine will last for the lifetime of the chain because if I lose the chain, there's a good chance I lose the engine. Does this mean I can safely keep the original chain forever as long as there are no problems? Are there wear indicators my mechanic can check for, or is there a danger that one day the chain will just give out and take my engine with it without warning?

I've started to worry a bit about this as I'm at around 130k miles and this is where I'd normally consider having the belt replaced. Is there a general rule on chains vs. belts, or does it vary from manufacturer to manufacturer? (Talking about a 2003 4.6 V8 Mustang GT in this specific case, if it's relevant)

Chains are lubed by engine oil and definitely are supposed to last the life of the motor, but in some cases they have tensioners or guides that wear out and need replacing, or it can skip a tooth. In your case it's a standard V8 motor, which should be super easy for you to research in google as to whether or not there are any timing chain issues.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU