Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I just got a used 01 grand prix gt from a dealership and have a few questions about the financing.

I am trying to build my credit. I have had one credit card in the past, for $500 through my credit union but I never really used it. I just got this car, and it is financed at $5,232.37 at 12.99% with a finance charge of $1,567.51 (ouch) I have the money to pay off the car in the first month. My question is, does it have any negative impact on credit to pay a loan off right away? I have been told that I shouldn't do that because it looks better when you show that you are able to make monthly payments plus some extra. I would rather pay it off and save on the interest. Is this a good idea? If more info is needed, let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Don Lapre posted:

jesus christ, you shoulda tried to get a credit card instead of that auto loan. Pay that poo poo off as fast as possible.

Yes I know that now. My last car took a poo poo, I missed two days of work, missing another day and I would have been out of a job, so I went to the dealership and got this. I didn't really know what I was getting into I guess. No mass transit here or really even taxi's, and with my shift being 3-11 I couldn't really find a ride.

Like I said though, I do have the money to pay it off the first month. Now I just need to see if wachovia has a fee for paying it off early.

Live and learn I guess.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

hobbesmaster posted:

It would have been cheaper to rent a car for a few days so you could approach this without a major sense of urgency. Just remember that when your N-body takes a poo poo in the near future.

n body is grand am, not grand prix isn't it? grand prix is w-body

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Proposed Budget: $15,000
New or Used:Used
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) 4 door
How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle? 30 min drive to work as well as taking kids to school each morning.

So I currently have an 01 grand prix and it's getting to the point where fixing it is costing more than it is worth. The transmission is starting to go now so I figured I should just sell it and get a new car.

I've been speaking with a local Honda dealer in regards to a couple of Civics and am trying to decide to go with one of these.

2014 Silver Civic LX 32,510 miles $12,923 certified pre-owned
2014 SIlver Civic EX 54,442 Miles $13,954 certified pre-owned

I looked at the carfax for the LX and it was leased from this same dealer, with all maintenance done there on schedule. Will be going back this week and can take a look at the EX.

My question is, is it worth getting the ex for the addition $1k even though it has the extra miles on it? Most of the add ons would be nice to have but are not needed (moonroof, push start, etc) Though the upgraded audio with the EX would be nice to have as I do have a nice amp/sub now that I wouldn't mind bringing over. Is there any other reason to go with the EX over the LX?

Also, do dealers not really haggle anymore? When I got the grand prix I spent a good amount of time negotiating the price, but the Honda dealer wouldn't budge. It's within my budget and kbb prices though so I'm fine with these prices.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Do you mean the lx should be cheaper?

And yeah Toyota seems to be about the same.

2014 Corolla le plus 40k miles $13870

Any reason to go with one over the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah I just got a 2016 Corolla cvt and it's pretty different at first. Makes a really weird winding noise when speeding up and the overall movement of the car is pretty different.

Buying the car couldn't have been simpler though. Probably took less than an hour over two days. Went to bank and got approved. Went to dealer, test drove and looked over car and said I'd take it. They faxed over paperwork to the bank and provided me with vin. I added the car to my insurance, went to dealer and showed proof and drove the car home. Next day I went to the bank and finished paperwork with them and then went back to dealer and handed them the check and left.

Great dealer too, didn't try and scam me with an extended warranty or gap insurance or any extras at all.

He actually sent the wrong amount to the bank (added new plates on there when I was transferring) so he wrote me a check for the difference.

Now I just need to find a good head unit for it as entune basic is pretty terrible. Any recommendations?