Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I suppose this is an awfully generic question, but can anyone tell me what I should be thinking about when deciding whether or not I want a hybrid-electric car over an equivalent fully-gasoline one? Specifically, I'm looking at the Ford Fusion for my next car, though I'm still curious in a general sense even if the Fusion is particularly bad or good as a hybrid. Not sure what I need to know to, well, know if the $5000 extra for the hybrid is worth it in the long run or not, besides guesstimating on my annual mileage and the MPG ratings on the site (which are never accurate anyway in my experience).

What little guidance I can gleam (read: google and hearsay) says 'not until gas is $6/gal or so and probably not even then' so I'm kind of leery in any event.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sorry, I knew I was forgetting some details. I drive about 9.5k annually, about fifty/fifty city and highway (most of the city being from the four-times-weekly work to-and-fro). Only answer I can give you for how long I want to keep it is 'at least five years'; beyond that I'd need a crystal ball :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

nm posted:

At 9.5k mi/yr and 50/50 is assuming current fuel prices that vs
2.5 - $750/yr
2.0 - $750/yr
1.6 - $700/yr

If the price premium is $5k, it probably isn't worth it. You just don't drive enough. If you drove 20,000 it probably would. Similarly with less miles and more city (hybrids do better in the city). I suspect this bears out to about $5/gal gas.

Also note that ford hybrids seem to be suffering in the real world MPGs more than other cars, including normal fords, so the savings might be less.

Note however, that a hybrid might have better resale value at the end though, particularly if prices go up.

Well if anything it's going to be even LESS city driving in the months to come, now that I think about it, since a major reconstruction project wrapping up this fall on the local highway is going to make that a lot less horrible to try to use. Good to know it won't add up without more driving or less premium.

Are hybrids necessarily more expensive/costly/annoying to maintain, or perhaps (somehow) less so?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

nm posted:

Depends on the car. The prius is arguably the most reliable car Toyota makes. They Honda hybrids have had many more issues.
Ford is probably in the middle. They are more like Toyota than honda (though the system is not a copy of Toyota, both companies just co-license each others hybrid patents to avoid suits), but I'm not sure the new Ford systems have enough track record.

That said, unless you want to save the environment (which is fine), get a non-hybrid for your commute.\

Great info, thanks a lot. Looks like I'll be sticking with a more ordinary engine when I get out there and buy.

(On that last statement though, I thought I'd seen arguments that they're overall not much better for the environment than your average family sedan, when you take in to account the manufacturing processes for the electronics and batteries. Maybe just in terms of gasses emitted, but not overall in so far as that can actually be measured... I should look into that, satify my curiosity :v:)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 14, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Funny, I thought to myself 'wait a minute... now that I write that down, that sounds really stupid' almost as soon as I posted up there in the first place. I should write things down more often :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Proposed Budget: $25k, as high as $30k if that puts me in range of a spectacular deal
New or Used: New or certified pre-owned
Body Style: Not picky, but needs to be comfy for a big guy. But not truck, SUV, etc. I guess a hatchback would be nice
How will you be using the car? Mainly daily commute and in-town travel, very infrequent inter-city/inter-state travel (once per year)
What aspects are most important to you? In order: comfort for driver and one passenger, reliability, practicality, mileage, bluetooth phone connectivity, iPod connectivity, being able to get up a highway onramp and reach highway speeds in time (read: not my old 4 cylinder civic)

I'm posting this wondering where I should be looking in my budget for the proverbial 'couch on wheels' that'd be comfortable for a tall fat guy. I don't have any interest in larger vehicles like SUVs or trucks, though--in fact I rather like smaller vehicles, except for the comfort thing. I don't care much about performance, save that it's got enough grunt to get up a ten degree 800ft onramp and make it to 65MPH by the end of it (this was the irritating part of my daily commute when I drove an '05 civic).

So I guess I'm looking for smaller sedans or coupes with larger seats, really. Not sure what makes to even look at, let alone models, so any thoughts?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 27, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fair enough. I know precisely dick all about cars, so I was rather hoping some makes or models might be better known for being more comfortable for bigger guys (okay, fatasses) like me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

its kinda personal preference. I remember there was a goon who was like 6ft plus 250-ish pounds who drove a Mini and loved it. I am skinny and tall but find the driving position in my giant SUV kind of uncomfortable because to fit my long legs, I have to reach a little with my arms to hold the wheel or I can make my arms comfortable and cramp up my legs, it gets uncomfortable on long drives.

Actually that's nice to know, because I like the look of the Toyota (scion here I guess?) iQ but dismissed it on account of it being small and me being big. Guess I can undismiss it, at least until I sit in it :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I made the cardinal mistake two and a half years ago of A) leasing a car, and B) getting a car above my financial situation (which has since improved, but still). Was a 2011 BMW 328i, if it matters. Anyway, end of lease is coming soonish, next October, so I was wondering: is there ever a situation where it's better, in terms of minimizing losses, to get rid of the lease early in any fashion, given that I'm not especially burdened by the lease payment? (at least, not anymore :v:)

I ask because I've had family suggest that I'd be better off taking the car to another dealership in a couple months, and dodging the inevitable fees the BMW dealership will charge at end of lease. I've never given the idea any thought before now.

(edit) If it matters, I don't intend to go with BMW next go-around.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 26, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Proposed Budget: $35k at the absolute most
New or Used: New
Body Style: Sedan or Coupe, any size, doesn't matter long as it isn't a leviathan
How will you be using the car?: 99% work/errand commute, less than 8,000 miles a year
What aspects are most important to you? 1) Gizmos like Bluetooth phone and either iPod or phone music connectivity (GPS a plus but not needed). 2) Reliability (assuming it's treated and maintained well, I don't trash my cars). 3) Good quality A/C, because I live in Las Vegas and it get loving hot. 4) Reasonable trunk space (read: not my 328i, which has a fair size trunk but the actual opening is loving rubbish). LED lamps'd be a nice side bonus because I think they look nice :shobon:

I'm specifically beginning to wonder about all-electric cars, partly because I'm a nerd, and partly because I drive so little (and never distances more than, at most, 200mi; that's what airports are for). From website trawling the Nissan Leaf caught my attention, at least (though I'm not doing any test driving until September, when my current lease comes close to ending). I've had friends turn me off of the Chevy(?) Volt, but I haven't done any research myself besides vaguely hearing that it's a plug-in hybrid or something (:confused:) so vOv

(edit) Minor sidenote: I have a slight bias toward looking at Nissan or Infiniti, because of familial connections at a local dealership, though I'm still willing to look elsewhere.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 22, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

...wow, I have asked that before at least twice. I genuinely, honestly don't remember that. That's a bit disconcerting :ohdear:

Oh well, thanks anyway, sorry to be a bother. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Quick question before I poke around too much, do sites like carsdirect.com do much more than point you in the direction of a salesman at a dealership? A friend said it was a good way to dodge the negotiation part of buying, but I don't really buy (:v:) that.

(Even so, nifty for actually finding the car you're looking for, I suppose.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I swear I'm not repeat posting this time :v:

Posting this for my mother, who is 55, has a semipermanently injured back, and is tired of her ten-years-owned 2002 Corolla (with only 80k on it).

Proposed Budget: I'm guessing $28k thereabouts$25k--she doesn't like thinking about sticker, but month-to-month instead :(
New or Used: New or certified used
Body Style: Not picky, long as it's not a truck or SUV or similar
How will you be using the car?: Daily commute mostly, about 30mi/day total
What aspects are most important to you? She wants to be able to get in and out comfortably and easily on her back, so something that sits higher (which sort of runs against "not truck or SUV" a little bit, I know). Road comfort is otherwise #1, reliability is #2, and mileage is #3. A nav system would be OK, but a computerized audio system would probably be a minus, she gets frustrated fast with tech-y stuff.

She says she wants to look at the "VW Tiguan and Honda Crosstour" tomorrow. Can't really look em up right now from work so I know dick all about them.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 15, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks, all. Gotta revise my guessed budget, though, she wants to stay at $25k now that I've had a chance to ask her. She likes the Venza but that pushes it :(

(edit) She also rather likes the Buick Encore, wants to try it too tomorrow. Thanks :)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 15, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

We've been looking around, and she's driven the Encore. Didn't like it, felt too restricted view both rear and front, she says. She really likes the Tiguron, though--we're looking at a 2014 CPO, one up from the base trim level, 9k miles, leased 7 months, 22991 on the sticker.

I'm a rubbish negotiator though, so talking numbers is gonna be kind of tough. I figure most I can ask for is them to cover registration.

(edit) She decided to go forward on it, so we agreed on 22,500 plus registration paid for. I'm gonna assume that's not that great, but she doesn't like negotiations either and she was extremely impressed with the car, so hey yo.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 15, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The first service for that was used already, so she's getting one freebie under Carefree in the next couple years. Other than that it's an extra 24k miles CPO coverage for $50 deductible on major work, so she's pretty well covered all the way to 60k, it seems.

She's very happy, and she wanted me to say thank you to all of you for the other recommendations, even though she didn't settle on them it was a big help to know the score :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I want to start looking for deals from local dealerships (or Toyota of course) on new Priuses, before my current lease ends in September. Short of monitoring toyota.com, local dealership sites, or (God forbid) giving my email to a salesman, are there any other websites or lists I can clap eyes on for coupons, financing offers or whatever else?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Edmunds usually tracks offerings but seriously buyatoyota.com is going to be your best resource

or like GST's equivalent or SET's equivalent if you live in one of the states covered by the importers.

Thanks for this. Right now in my area they've got 0% APR financing for 60 months + $500 "retail cash" (whatever that means, probably Toyota funbux), or $2000 cash back. Those seem pretty good, but how good are they relatively speaking? Am I likely to see better in the next few months?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Towards mid/late summer, you may see more incentives as dealers burn off 2014 inventory.

Thanks, I'll keep my eyes peeled. My lease doesn't end until September 27 I think, but I guess if I can cop an especially good deal, no reason I couldn't get the car early, I would think.

REALLY don't want to go through another summer in a black car in las vegas. god, what was I thinking

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The only things that are driving me away from just getting a Prius myself are A) that stupid bar across the rear window (seriously, what), and B) the horrible drone of the engine at 70+mph (which is pretty much bog standard on local freeways, anyway). I know I'm not supposed to expect power out of the thing but drat, my old Civic sure didn't make that much noise under acceleration.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Even though I'm probably going to buy new anyway, I looked around for local CPO Priuses. Found a 2012 top trim (the "Five") with 35k miles on it... for $26k, or only about $5k less than a new 2014 of the same trim. :stare:

Is that normal for Priuses or Toyotas or something? What the hell.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Makes sense, I guess. It was just a bit of a shock. I feel like I'd still rather buy new, though, if the savings is that slim, just for peace of mind.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was starting to wonder the same myself, about a Prius. I'd been told, and started to believe, that my leasing my current car was a terrible idea, but I've never been able to get past the fact that, well, I like new and shiny things. Probably irresponsible as hell, compared to getting a car and beating the hell out of itusing it responsibly for 5+ years, but I am what I am, I suppose. v:shobon:v

I've been trying so hard to learn about purchasing, different terms and traps, etc. that I have no idea what to look for in a lease anymore, though, except knowing(?) that I really hosed up from the word go by putting in $3000 at the start in cap cost reduction, thinking it was a down payment. :saddowns:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 20, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

HolyDukeNukem posted:

In all honesty, I don't think it's that Honda or Toyota have gone downhill, in so much as Mazda has gotten pretty drat good. Ford's are probably a step down, but the parts to fix them are dirt cheap, so the maintenance isn't too bad either. I own a new Mazda3 Hatch and it has been absolutely amazing to drive, the interior is well made (with the exception or the media system which kind of looks like a decent third party heads up unit), it gets amazing gas mileage, and is fun to drive. There is a reason why the Mazda3 and Mazda6 have been getting car of the year awards, they are legitimately good cars.

I had completely forgotten Mazda exists, personally :v:. I may give one of those 3 hatchbacks a try this weekend, I like what I see on the internet. Still leaning towards a Prius at the moment, though, pending a test drive.

Question about leasing, is it financially more sound to lease a car that keeps more of its value over the three years (higher residual), or less? I would have thought the former, but I got some indication yesterday that that's not the case?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That actually made sense to me, somehow. I'll be damned. :v:

I asked earlier about why cap cost reduction ("down") payments were supposedly a bad idea, and reading your post I feel like I've almost got my finger on the answer, but it keeps slipping from me. Money is hard :saddowns:

(edit) Aw, the 2L Mazda 3 doesn't offer the xenon headlights. I like those, but I don't want to pay for the 2.5L just for prettier bloody lights :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 22, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there a technical/financial reason they go for money factors instead of interest rates? Is there more to it than APR / 2400, or do they just do it to confuse poor bastards like me? :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Should I be watching for a trap if a dealer offers to make the remaining three payments on my lease? Just finished testing the Mazda 3, really like it, dealer mentioned that along the way when we were taking about my current car.

(edit phone posting is hard)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 23, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Uncle Jam posted:

There might be some cash back incentive that you won't be getting instead, check on that.

Checked, there don't seem to be any I'm not already getting. Need to check on my disposition fee for the end of the current lease though.

Edit yeah he'll get the disposition too. About a 1750 incentive, grand total cap cost 26250, .00064 factor, 60% residual at 10k miles/year (more than I need) for 3 years. Mazda 3 hatchback, I grand touring, new, 2014.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 23, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

New question since it'll affect that cap cost. Are window VIN etching or desert paint protectant worth getting, or no? (I suspect no)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Window VIN etching is totally unnecessary. A lot of times the dealer's already done it and if you insist on not wanting it they'll just give it to you for free. But it's a totally, utterly worthless thing to do.

"Desert paint protectant" is like 95% likely to be a scam, and even if it's actually something you'd want, you can probably get it from a 3rd party for less than what the dealer wants to charge you for it.

It's basically the desert-region equivalent to dealer-applied "undercoating."

Thought as much on both accounts. Thanks, I will go back and see how that changes the cap. :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well now I just feel a bit of a doofus for even having to ask about it :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My lease on my '14 Mazda3 hatch (great car btw) isn't up for a couple years, but I'm bored and curious about fully electric vehicles. Context: I'm a person who doesn't care much about driving; does not drive out of the city, that's what airports are for; and I probably do 7k miles a year normally. Live in Las Vegas, NV.

- Generally speaking are any of them okay value for money yet for the A->B work commuter, or do you still end up losing out financially, in trade for having a nerd toy/being an environmental smuglord? (Note: I am considering one next for the 'nerd toy' factor so logic isn't fully in play for me if I'm honest)
- If so, are any of them particularly standout in the <$45k range (so basically not the Tesla Model S)? The only one I can think of offhand is the Nissan Leaf, though I'm sure there's lots more, I just haven't kept up
- Any guesses how much full-blast air conditioning, which is basically required in the throes of a Las Vegas summer, would reduce the advertised range of an EV?
- Again discounting the Tesla Model S, do they generally pass the highway on-ramp test? (Anyone else who lives in Las Vegas would recognize this as "Can you get to 65mph by the end of the 215W onramp at Eastern" :v:)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks for the info!

nm posted:

Pretty much every car is if people weren't so chicken about pressing the skinny pedal to the floor.
Tell that to my '07 Civic back in the day. That loving car's the reason I made up the 215W from Eastern onramp test, because that car failed on it, making it to about 55 before being forced to merge into busy 65 traffic. Not fun. :mad:

That's as far as my concerns about car power go, though :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there such a thing as a "typical" APR for a vehicle loan (motorcycle in this case)? I have excellent credit, at 770 or so, but the best loan I've seen so far on $11,000 was 5.25% at 60 months with $300 down, which seems rather a high percentage; I seem to recall low-mid 4s being more typical.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That would explain why my memory is playing me false, been a long time since I've financed and that time I had some 25% down (still at 60 months if I recall right). Thanks for the reminder, I legit forgot how much more money down affects APR.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Motronic posted:

The basic concept here is that the loan is secured by the asset you are buying. If you don't put enough down so that you've paid them more than it's worth through the life of the loan the interest rate goes up to cover their risk.

On a motorcycle and over 5 years..........you need to put almost half of it down to get a good rate.

You're better off getting a personal loan secured by something more stable (like a house, or an investment portfolio).

Thanks. I'm like a salesman's wet dream, easily confused by even basic financing, so getting things cleared up like this helps. (I do tend to do things slowly for that reason :v:)

If it were a shorter term like 36 months would that significantly affect the APR, generally speaking? It didn't seem to on the trial online application I made at Wells--they said between 6.3 and 6.5 depending on duration with that small down. (I know I'd be paying less interest overall, I just wonder if the APR would be affected.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool, thanks for the advice. Sucks to do so--driving that Zero was great fun, and I had intended to use it for my day to day commute--but I'll wait until I've got most of the cash, since used Zeros (or electric bikes in general) might as well not exist.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I actually hate the ones on my '13 Focus because they lag and don't deal well with ambiguous lighting situations especially in light rain.

This was my experience when I was leasing an '11 328i, it didn't have a fuckin' clue what to do when it was deeply overcast but otherwise clear (to the point of flicking on and off repeatedly during a drive once)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks for that fantastic post, IOwnCalculus. How much of that still applies to leasing? I know the OP pooh-poohs on leasing but I plan for my next car (June 2017 is when my current lease ends) to be an electric, and as I understand it the purchase value on those things sinks like a loving stone even compared to your average domestic, making leasing better value.

That and I have a hopeless thing for new toys don't judge me :C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Here's the thing with new cars: purchased or leased, they're all at least somewhat indulgent. Name nearly any new car on the market, there's going to be either a lightly used version of that exact car, or a lightly used version of a competing car / prior generation car, that will be available for at least somewhat of a discount and will do nearly everything the new one does in the same manner. But there is a value in knowing nobody else has hosed with the car first, in having the full duration of the factory warranty, and in your case, having a latest-tech car with a zero-effort way to get out of the car after your lease term ends.

There are people who are far better versed in leasing than I am, but suffice it to say you can negotiate leases just like you can purchases. Some of the numbers are a bit more obfuscated, but when I was looking at leasing a Leaf a few years ago I just told everyone to give me the out-the-door monthly price on a three year term with zero down. Worked well, and the only reason I'm not getting ready to turn in a Leaf today is because of the fact that my office will not install any means for even 120V EV charging. Combine the well-known Leaf battery degradation issues, Arizona weather, and a 50-mile round trip commute, and there was way too much doubt in my mind that I would actually be able to get from home to work and back on a single charge in year 3 of the lease.

EVs get a special kick towards leasing as well - the tax credit comes off the front-end so your monthly cost takes that into account, whereas purchasing means you only get that $7500 back after you file your taxes for the year in which you bought the car. At the time I was looking at lease payments that were within $30-50/mo of what I was spending in gasoline alone for my shitbox Ranger, so it was a very tempting deal.

Thanks for the reply. It's indulgent, but as I said I've got New Toy Syndrome real bad, and besides which I like the pseudo-guarantee of reliability that a new car brings compared to even a lightly used one. Having a sudden unforeseen car problem on the road is one of my deep irrational fears :ohdear:

I live in southern Nevada so your Arizona weather concerns re: EVs apply to me too. I have a shorter commute at 10 miles one way, though, and 240V in the garage (it abuts my laundry room), so I'm hopeful that degradation and reduced range won't be a problem by the time end-of-lease hits. Anyone else here have an EV in poo poo-tier weather locations like summer Arizona and have any input?

Folks better versed in leasing, do you even look at the stickers for cars or do you just ask for the monthly out the door like IOwnCalculus did?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 28, 2016