Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.

Butthole Prince posted:

Follow up question regarding PenFed...

I found a car that I like and I'll probably move on it. The dealer asked what I was going to do as far as financing and I said I can get a 3.99% loan through PenFed. He said, "Well what if we can meet or beat that?".

I haven't actually applied to PenFed yet for the loan, but my credit score is 798 and I don't see why they'd reject me.

Is there any harm to me letting the dealer try to match it? The flip side to that is, what if they can't? I haven't applied for the PenFed loan so I can't take their check in there. Should I apply for the loan and have it just in case? But what happens if I don't need to use it?

EDIT:

Dealer says they will beat the 3.99% so I may as well just go with that.

That's a very low interest rate for a used car. While some vehicles, generally if not entirely restricted to certified used, are eligible for manufacturer-subsidized interest rates, interest rates on used car loans are generally higher than on new cars. I would think that the dealer is expecting to make up for the lower interest rate with a higher price. Then the dealer could sell that $10,000 @ 3.5% note for the same price he could a $5,000 @ 7%. If you already have the price set in stone, before talking about financing, maybe the dealer really does have a lender desperate for prime loans, or maybe the dealer is willing to take a loss to get this car off the lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU