Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

NOTinuyasha posted:

The O2 sensor is one part in a vast quantity of ever-changing electrical components that may or may not trip a relevant code, or any code at all, upon failure, relays are a good example, the car may not have a way to discern if a relay is functioning or not. That happened to my fuel pump relay - I fixed it myself but it took hours of diagnosis, since it didn't trip any codes.

That's not to say an OBDII scanner isn't a good investment, but don't slam people for not wanting to deal with repairs even if you you find one specific example (out of thousands) to be easy.

To add onto the VW Jetta hate, my 03 Jetta has had the check engine light on for the past 14 or so months. I've taken it to several different mechanics on numerous occasions but they can't quite seem to ever fix the issue. They'll do something, the car will run great for a week or two, and it'll eventually start doing the same thing all over again (lots of engine shake, cold starts, difficulty accelerating in the morning).

The codes from Autozone always indicate that the car is running rich and is having multiple cylinder misfires. I've had spark plugs changed, coil packs replaced, hoses replaced, MAF sensor cleaned and eventually replaced, and a few other things done to it. My issue is that whatever I pay to have done is generally something that was needed (due to age and/or regular upkeep) and so it seems the problem is bigger and more difficult to assess.

The car has a little over 170k miles (woohoo to road trips). I'm debating whether to continue spending money on this never-ending problem or to just put the money towards a down payment on a new (to me) car. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Looking for a bit of advice on the following situation:

I recently accepted a job in Washington DC and as a result I will no longer need my 2010 Toyota Prius.

I am financing it through Toyota and have approximately $15,000 left to pay on it.

It's well maintained and I have had absolutely no issues/problems with it. I currently have about 36 months of payments left on it at 0.00% interest.

The issue is that my fiancee will be joining me in DC in March 2013. She will need a vehicle to get to/from work in the surrounding suburbs.

She currently has a 2007 Toyota Corolla. It's completely paid off and has no issues/problems. Approximately 100,000 miles on it.

We both much prefer driving the Prius, but realize it'd be an added expense to keep up with. Prius gets approximately 50 mpg and the Corolla 35 mpg so both are relatively economical. As she'll be driving the most our top concerns are comfort and safety.

At the moment we're considering getting rid of the Prius and keeping the Corolla. Does anyone have any disagreement with this idea?

As far as getting rid of the Prius, what's generally the easiest approach? Going to a dealership and letting them take it over? What's that process like and what should I expect? I owe less on the car than its current estimated value.

Co-workers suggested making a tiny profit by trying to sell it privately on eBay or Craigslist. How do I go about doing that if I don't outright own the car and am financing it?

Thanks in advance!