Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Proposed Budget: Around $15,000 - can go slightly (+$3,000) higher if absolutely necessary.

New or Used: Used seems to be the best option at this price point, but if there's something new that meets all the other criteria I'm not against the concept.

Body Style: Four door preferred, any size sedan / crossover / SUV is fine. Not critical but a higher riding / taller vehicle would probably be good for the visibility. Pretty much anything but trucks or vans.

How will you be using the car?: Daily commute (25 mile round trip) and general purpose vehicle for groceries, errands, whatever. No kids or pets to worry about, regularly (at least 1 / month) go camping / backpacking so the ability to haul a reasonable amount of cargo and not be super anemic going up hills is ideal. Will pretty much never see snow. No towing or anything else special. Needs to be an automatic.

What aspects are most important to you? Safety and reliability are very important, and barring it simply not breaking it would be nice if it were easy / cheap to work on. Fuel efficiency is also a bit of a concern as California gas prices can be a mess a lot of the time. Other factors are less important - don't really care who makes it or if it's got a good aesthetic or anything.

This is a replacement car for the wife - she's currently driving a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee that was a hand-me-down from her dad. The thing has 185,000 miles on it and is pretty much coming apart everywhere (radiator just failed, a bunch of codes from the evaporative emissions system keep it from being smogged, and when it got brought in for the radiator the mechanic found a ton of other poo poo that I half believe and half think he's trying to gouge us on and anyway it's time for a new car). We have a budget of $15,000 and might be able to stretch it just a little bit if it's the difference between a super solid car and a dumpster fire, but ideally we stick to or under that figure. She's pretty ambivalent about whatever kind of car she ends up with, but I do know she would prefer higher fuel economy, and a higher ride height for visibility. Doesn't need to have much in the way of fancy features, so long as there's AC and an automatic transmission she's fine, fancy trip computers, Bluetooth and integrated navigation are kind of wasted on her. We do go backpacking semi-regularly and often end up dragging 1-2 other people along, so the ability to comfortably seat that many people and their packs is ideal.

I'm sorry if this is vague, she's had a steady diet of "dad's last car" so her knowledge of cars and what features are actually out there / what she wants is pretty poo poo. Thanks in advance thread.

Stanley Goodspeed fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

H110Hawk posted:

Taffeta White Honda Civic? It won't be super peppy going up hills, but it won't be anemic either. Gets 35mpg on the freeway if you baby it.

Thanks for the recommendation! Is there a particular reason for the color? Is it like ~aesthetically worse~ so cheaper in the used market or is it just a joke going over my head?