Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I have a question about purchasing a car that is obviously upside down right now for its owner.

I will first post parts of his email for your enjoyment/education:

Upside Down Man posted:

I'll show you all the paperwork. And I'm selling it below KBB...they're rare,they sale good and they LAST longer. I've never had any problems with mine whatsoever. I've always done preventive maintenance so I won't have to deal with problems.I still owe 16K on it and I will have 3000K to cover up myself with the bank.

So first, he's trying to sell a car for well over the KBB value. With the mileage he has on the car, he really should be selling this car at around 10k. (he's trying to sell for 13999) So, he's about 6000 under this loan, and as a result, doesn't even hold the title to the car.

That being said, here is the other kicker:

quote:

The only reason I'm selling it is that my wife can't drive manual and we're fighting non-stop :-) I have a 14 months daughter and a one month old baby. I need and SUV. I HATE selling it after I put all this money into it,water pump,rotors,FULL colling system,belts,brakes..but I don't have a choice. I need an bigger car more room...something like a Q7.

I have no idea how negotiable this guy will be on the price of his car. Is this just a situation I should immediately walk away from regardless of the financials and price involved or is even attempting to negotiate a lower deal worth it for me? I have no real experience purchasing a car off a guy who's upside down, so any advice would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

He's upside-down on the car, and wants to sell it to get a GIANT HONKIN SUV because his two kids won't fit into whatever he has now?

What kind of car is he trying to sell?

He's trying to sell a 330i ZHP.

Leperflesh posted:

Why not find the same car owned outright by someone, so when you make a lower offer, they are actually free to consider it?

I'm more than likely going to do this. I was just wondering how the entire process worked - would I need to go to the Bank with him in order to make actually get the title? Are there additional fees associated with this process?