Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

Proposed Budget: Under $1000, cheaper the better
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Truck or small old 4x4
How will you be using the car?: Just a second vehicle to go camping in, or toss my kayak and bike in and drive down to my usual portage point, approx 100 miles round trip
What aspects are most important to you?Reliability would be nice, but since it is a second vehicle, not as important as being easy to work on. I've never really tooled around in a car before, so something easy to work on would be a plus.

I ran across a 89 Ford Ranger 5sp with the 2.0 I4, 2WD only, as well as a 92 Toyota (hilux I think) 5speed. Both of these are under $800, which would be great. Is there anything I should be looking out for? I'm guessing clutch, frame rust, and timing belt/chain?

Also, I live in WI.

Better set your standards way low at that budget. Especially a 4x4. In fact, you should just forget about 4x4 because a 2WD truck with good snow tires and a few bags of sand in the bed will be fine and a hell of a lot cheaper than a 4x4. less parts to break/maintain as well. I would take the Ranger if it has less rust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mazda offers the CX-5 with their new SkyActiv engine that gets 35mpg hwy with a manual transmission and 2wd.

http://images.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehicleCode=CX5#/performance/gas_savings

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Commit to the Prius and keep it, you're not going to get a better car for your needs than what you already have. Keep it and run it until it dies which will probably be after you die.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

teardrop posted:

Proposed Budget: 8000
New or Used: Used, likely off Craigslist
Body Style: Compact, 2-door preferred somewhat
How will you be using the car?: Only vehicle, 800 miles a month, half highway
What aspects are most important to you? Reliable, Low cost of ownership

Aiming for 2005 and not too far past 100k miles I guess.

a) Any coupes that are known for reliability and low cost of ownership, aside from Civics?

b) In my price range, am I going to be able to get a much better car for the money if I go with a 4-door?

c) If so, suggest me some good cars after civics and corollas.

Thank you very much!

As far as coupes go, you could probably get a nice Mustang in your budget. Personally I would just get a Corolla or Camry which are probably the king of low cost and reliable ownership.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Titan Coeus posted:

Proposed Budget: 10k +/-2k
Body Style: Hatchback, 2/4 door is fine
How will you be using the car?: Driving 10 minutes to class in the snow, making daily 30 minute commutes in a year or so.
What aspects are most important to you?:
A low total cost of ownership, I won't have a steady income when I go back to school in a month. Handling reasonably in the snow is important. Automatic is ideal.

I've got an '06 Chevy HHR (more wagon than hatch) and the only parts I've had replaced are end links and the front brakes (pads and rotors) which are normal wear parts. other than that just routine maintenance. It did great in the snow with a set of Blizzacks and never let me down once. Great economy (30mpg hwy) and utility at the same time which is kinda rare, I fit a whole bedroom set from Ikea in it once. Some people hate them because of the styling and/or interior.

And just so you don't think I'm too biased, it is pretty gutless especially with an automatic, but most economy cars are anyway.

Also consider the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe(rebadged Matrix) and Mazda3.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 6, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dameius posted:

My brother managed to get a 1986 Porsche 944 that was going to be a father/son race team's project car until the son deployed for about 4k. The engine and transmission was all fixed and track ready but there was a lot of small cosmetic poo poo to do, like relining the interior, fix the dash electrics, etc... Probably another 2-3k in work.

Haha, this is a horrible suggestion. RELIABLE is the key word here, I don't think the guy wants a project. A Miata is his best option, for 5k he could find a nice one that would need literally nothing and would probably last another 50k with nothing but basic maintenance. And 5k Mustangs are lovely and not fun to drive.

Just for an example I got this for 3k:

Needs a little work but runs perfect and was very clean. For 5k you can do even better.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The problem with Mustangs is it's hard to get a nice GT for a reasonable price that hasn't been ragged on or hosed with. You'll be hard pressed finding a nice Mustang that isn't a V6 for 5k. And they are a different kind of fun in terms of brute force and kicking the tail end out. Handling not so much.

Old Porsches in the 5k range are fun but just a bad idea overall for someone that wants a reliable and cheap to maintain car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would look into a Toyota Prius, fits your criteria pretty well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've seen decent Prius' (Prii?) in the 8k to 9k range. Higher miles, but for a Prius not really a big deal as long as the car was taken care of.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sure, but point is that mileage really isn't the indicator it used to be. 100k on a Prius is barely getting broken in.

Yeah that was the point I was trying to get across to Zorak, if he wants to spend less he can get a Prius with higher miles and still have a very nice car that will be just as reliable as a Prius with lower mileage.

I'll take a high mileage Prius over a low mileage Avenger all day long.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You can easily afford a used Prius in that price range.

Can a mod please change the thread title to AI meets BFC: Get a Prius

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Deus Rex Machina posted:

Is a Prius really a good value? It seems like the initial cost is pretty significant vs. what they save you.

What age/mileage should I be looking for for a good value?

They are a great used value IMO, new is a different story although I don't know what they're going for new these days. Just look for one that was well taken care of, records/receipts clean carfax yadda yadda. You should be able to find a one owner Prius pretty easily.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ you poor man. My niece wanted a Bug and even though we tried to persuade her she got one anyway, and after putting more into it than what it's worth over the span of less than two years, it now needs a new motor. I worked for a shop owner that swore up and down Beetles were the biggest piles of poo poo ever made, just don't do it, it's not worth the novelty trust me.

Buy her a Corolla or Camry, and then tell her to be thankful for having a nice dependable car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I'm heavily pushing the Focus idea since every Civic and Corolla locally are being sold by delusional people. $10K for a 1994 Civic with 150,000 miles? No thank you.

Proteges tend to go cheaper and are better IMO. Look into the Protege5 which is a four door hatch and is a much better car than a Focus.

Throatwarbler posted:

If the old lady wants a Beetle, I don't see how buying a Focus is going to solve your problems. Just get her the Beetle, you only live once.

No don't do this if you're the one that's going to be working on her car. I drew the line with my wife a long time ago, If I'm going to be working on the cars, here's a list you can choose from. If it was up to her we'd have a Land Rover Disco in the driveway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus, where do you live? Might wanna think about going out of state or just waiting. Just have cash in hand and be ready to jump on a good deal because they go quick.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Fort Wayne Indiana. We're really close to the site of the Auburn auto show and you can tell, there's a higher concentration of car dealers in this part of the state than most other similarly sized cities. We have two "auto-malls" and easily 100 small lot dealers. There's two within walking distance of my house.
So that said, they gobble up a good number of the sought after cars. The selection on CL is horrible junk or massively over priced. When I was looking for her Jeep I ended up buying out of state because there wasn't a good deal to be found. I've decided to try and sell the Jeep myself as I think I can get more out of it in cash than I could get in trade but I still won't have much more to put into this new car for her.

One way plane tickets are cheap. It may sound extreme, but flying to Florida to pick up a completely rust free car is not a bad idea. I can tell you right now, you'd easily find a very nice Civic/Corolla/Protege in your price range in the area I live in (Tampa Bay). Fly down, take a little vacation on the beach then drive back up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

jonathan posted:

Proposed Budget: 15,000 - 20,000
Body Style: 4 door w/ trunk/saloon
How will you be using the car?: For the girlfriend to commute to and from work, and frequent highway roadtrips on less than perfect highways
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos: Yes
What aspects are most important to you:

Looking for a once expensive, now not so expensive big comfy highway car. Important to have lots of horsepower, and able to cruise easily at 80mph or so. HID lights are preferred. It will be driven 3x a week to commute to work, and the rest of the time used to travel from Buttass Alberta to Vancouver BC every few weeks.

So far I've been looking at the Chrysler 300c and SRT8, I think 2006 has the HID lamps ? These range from 13,500 to $20,000

Also the 2008 Cadillac STS with 320 horsepower v6 can be had for under $20,000. The CTS is slightly small.

Is there a comparable Lincoln ? I would assume the Mercedes and BMW variants would be 10 or 15,000 more expensive for the same options...

You can get practically new 2011 Crown Vics in that price range with really low miles. IIRC all the newer ones can run on E85 too. Giant trunk, perfect highway car, dependable as hell and cheap to own.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd be looking at G35 sedans and the Acura TSX/TL.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Glorks! posted:

I have also thought about something like a Chevy HHR. They're ugly as sin, but I had one as a rental for about two weeks a couple years ago and I was impressed. However, fitting my cello in it required taking up half the rear seating AND half the rear cargo area. I would prefer something that would leave me either an entire back/trunk or an entire rear seat after the instrument is in there.

Good luck with that, even with most SUV's that would probably be difficult, maybe it would work with with a minivan. That being said, I own an HHR and it's been a great car, I can fit just as much stuff in it than most SUV's with the economy of a smaller car. I think with the 60/40 split in the rear seat you should have been able to at least have part of the rear seat still available in the HHR.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

hotgreenpeas posted:

I have a quick, possibly dumb, question. I think this is the right thread for it. My boyfriend has a family member that he claims can get good deals on used cars that your average person cannot because he has some kind of fancy dealer license or certification or something. This isn't really a thing, is it?

That probably means he has an auction license, it's generally a good idea to stay away from auction cars unless you know what you're doing when it comes to inspecting cars with a fine tooth comb. If you can't do that stick to known reliable cars with known histories. It's usually impossible to get any kind of history from auction cars so you have to know your poo poo before you even think about buying one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Get a brand new one then at least you'll have a warranty and you'll know it's history. The current gen are much better too, build quality wise IIRC. Might wanna research it, but if you can get a good percentage rate buying a new Beetle over a used one is a very smart move.

[edit] either that or buy a used one and keep extra money on the side for inevitable repairs, like at least a few grand. And make friends wit the local VW repair shop.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 30, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

remeez posted:

Proposed Budget:10-12k
New or Used: used
Body Style: SUV/Crossover/ if it handles snow I don't care
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver for 8 mile drive
What aspects are most important to you? Just needs to be a beast in the snow and other awful conditions, I live in New England on a giant rear end hill and I have to get to my job regardless of the weather outside.

Any Subaru in your price range. The Outback and Forester have the most ground clearance if that's important.

Or if the snow gets REALLY deep I'd say a Jeep Wrangler/Cherokee/Grand Cherokee.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 30, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Do not buy a current (2012) Beetle.

They're not, I promise.

Huh, with all the raving about how VW finally got the GTi right you would think they could make a decent Beetle, guess not. Isn't the current Beetle based on the GTi platform?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

She can't drive stick. Seriously, I've attempted to teach her numerous times, my father tried to teach her, my sister tried. She just can't do it.

Might want to invest in a car that has an auto trans with a good track record then, especially if it's coming out of your pocket.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Mazda3 or Protege, Chevy Cobalt, Ford Focus.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Raxmus posted:

Well it looks like the Ranger XLT 4WD has been vetoed as "too small". For a quick comparison:

I would be looking at base model 4WD F150's with the EcoBoost.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone considering an FRS/BRZ might wanna read this first.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15577

Looks like they have some bugs to work out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Just looking at the Blue/Black Book values, which he's undercut by $1,100- $2000, as well as the fact that he is driving without hubcaps, makes me suspicious.

What the hell do hubcaps have to do with anything? Looks like a good deal to me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

Missing hubcaps could mean nothing or could mean the OEM wheels/hubcaps were damaged in an accident.

I highly doubt that, if they went through the trouble of trying to hide an accident, you don't think they'd just buy new hub caps for it? Also how the hell would all four of them get damaged at once? It's just a look really, lots of people like the way black steelies look better than the lovely hub caps, I for one agree.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

God drat it.

Good luck bro.

At least when poo poo breaks you can say "I told you so" and then do this :smug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The only thing that didn't work on the car was the driver side power lock switch.

:ohdear: electrical gremlins

Haha, you should be fine, maybe you're lucky and got one of the good ones.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would stay away from any Powerstroke, not worth the risk IMO.

Get a Dodge or Chevy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I'm looking to replace my '98 Lexus GS400 (because it was written off). I've already been researching and driving and know what I'm looking for, but need some help.

I'd just get another Lexus if I were you.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I do still love the GS-series and other performance sedans, but really wanted to downgrade to something smaller. I do an increasing amount of downtown driving from court to court and having a larger car is just a hassle. I don't even use most of the space in the car besides acting as a friend taxi. On the other hand, I'm a big guy and like for [i]me[i] to be comfortable. Maybe a luxury coupe is really the best option...

G35 or BMW 3 series. Also I know it's not a coupe but the Lexus CT looks awesome and would be the perfect "downgrade" if you like Lexus.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oxford Comma posted:

Proposed Budget: $5000 but would prefer to be less.
Body Style: Wagon
How will you be using the car?: Car-camping and driving the kids to Tahoe a few times in the winter
What aspects are most important to you? Reliablity

I need some advice: I want a wagon to take my family (car) camping, and the occasional trips to Eastern California to play in the snow during the winter time. This car won't be used as a daily driver. I'm strongly considering either a Volvo V70 or a Subaru Outback. I'm open to other cars or even something like a VW Camper van, too.

What should I be looking for in these cars? The ones in my price range have between 120k-150k miles, so their current condition and reliability can really vary.

Dodge Caravan. The only weak point is the trans, but that's only if you don't take good care of it. I owned one for two years, and my mother in law had it for seven years before that, it was rock solid and wear parts like brakes and suspension are dirt cheap. Super easy to get in and out of, holds a TON of poo poo with the third row out, can strap poo poo to the roof, drives like a car and is comfy on road trips. Ours was in Western NY and had no problems in snow with winter tires. You can get a very nice Caravan for 5k, I know this because I'm thinking about getting another one and that's right around my budget also.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 2, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oxford Comma posted:

Was the AWD a specific model because I'm not getting any hits on Craigslist for "AWD" and "Caravan".

Looking at Wiki, only the 2nd gen Caravans had AWD and you don't want one of those. You should be looking at 4th gen (01-07) with your budget.

If you gotta have AWD I'd go for a Forester/Outback but then there's the whole head gasket issue with those. Try to find one that's already had the head gaskets replaced, or budget for it to be done eventually. The father in law had a Forester with a manual and that thing was perfect for western NY winters, he got lucky and never had a gasket issue.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Just a heads-up, PA is salt country.

No, PA uses ash. When I lived in NY everyone would buy their cars in PA because of it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

In PA they use salt with a side of sand. One of my close friends subcontracts with PennDOT to spread it most years (and I get to hear about it), and in addition to having lived there half my life, I go back for holidays regularly. It's definitely translucent rock salt.

Well maybe they use salt in different parts of the state, because the parts I drove through used ash which was grey in color and made everything filthy. Or maybe they switched since I was there which was around '08. What I do know is lots of people went to PA to buy cars because they weren't rusted nearly as bad as the NY cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

The grey is what salt crust looks like mixed with oil and exhaust. Been that way since at least the '80s.

I'm well aware of that, I said I have lived in western NY and I grew up in WI so I know what salt does. I'm talking about coal ash strewn across the road right after it snows. I've seen trucks using ash and salt and there is a big difference.

Google PA coal ash, it is a thing, although it seems to be an environmental issue now and it looks like they could be phasing it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Something else to consider... A Ford Escape. They can be had in 4WD, the fuel mileage on our 2009 wasn't bad. About 20 city/28 highway with a solid 22mpg mixed on the 4cyl. The V6 seems to get 17/24. The 2013 changed body styles so the previous gen may be taking a hit in the resale department. We had one, and it was a pretty decent little SUV and we only got rid of it because we wanted something bigger (bought a 2012 Ford Explorer). Looking at the local autotrader you should be able to find a 2009 4WD XLT in your price range.

The Escape/Tribute have horrible automatic transmissions and should be avoided at all costs unless you can get a manual version which are difficult to find.