Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subraji
Mar 28, 2006

He's got an 'ead like a fuckin' orange. Baldy, Mancy 'eaded twat.
I was hoping to get some advice because I've never purchased a used vehicle before and I'd love your opinion(s).

I currently driving a 2000 Toyota Sienna CE minivan with ~200,000km on it. It was given to me by my father when I moved away for grad school.
The minivan is fantastic in most ways; it's immensely reliable, maintenance is very cheap, and I'm told it is in great shape (by mechanics) and that it will run forever. However, I feel a) really lame being a young single male driving a minivan, and b) it's sort of steep on gas.

Here's where my question comes in: I've been tossing around the idea of buying a used car. Specifically, this car:
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2005-Subaru-Impreza-2-5RS-Wagon-MINT-CONDITION-AWD-W0QQAdIdZ466570871

The seller would accept my minivan at a trade in value of approx $2600-2700, bringing the Subaru he's got for sale down to around $3300 with tax.

The catch: the Subaru is a 'rebuild' -- here are three pictures of the damage it sustained: http://imgur.com/Wn2QY1e,uqKLAAc,JV5c1sB

The seller (actually the mechanic who bought and fixed the car) claims the damage was restricted to the front end and more importantly to the headlights, bumper and hood but not the engine.

I like the look of the car, and he's offering a decent amount for my minivan. I took the Subaru for a test drive and it rode really well.
What do you guys think? Be as honest as possible and if your gut feeling is to tell me I'm a moron, please do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subraji
Mar 28, 2006

He's got an 'ead like a fuckin' orange. Baldy, Mancy 'eaded twat.

Bovril Delight posted:

All this. Also, a common tactic is to repair a lot of the damage, take pics, claim this as all the damage. I highly doubt the pics you are seeing is the original damage. I've had claims where we total a car, sell the salvage and then see it for sale later, with the original damage half fixed as the "before" pics. Often with a load of bullshit like, "I don't know why insurance totaled it! Barely any damage! Their loss is your gain."

In short run away.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input and I'll stay away from that car.