Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm helping my significant other shop for a new car. Her current car is a ~2004 Civic Hybrid and it's beginning to have some pretty serious transmission issues so she's ready to unload it before it dies completely.

I'm not car-dumb but I also haven't kept up on what the most recommended newer models are. I drive an '05 Saabaru 9-2x aero.

Proposed Budget: ~$25-40k
New or Used: Either, preferably newer, thinking less than 30k miles
Body Style: 4 Door, Wagon or smaller SUV preferred
How will you be using the car?: primarily commuting in the city but also roadtrips and driving to the mountain for camping/snowboarding. We live in Portland so Subaru's are incredibly popular here for good reason.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, Good gas mileage, 25-30mpg ideal but not a deal breaker, she'd really like to have some nice gadgets since her old car has none. thinking really usable in-dash navigation, iPod interface stereo, and back-up camera would be great for her.

I'm suggesting she takes a look at a Subaru Impreza and Legacy, a Volkswagen Touareg, Honda CRV... maybe even BMW 328i Sport Wagon for the higher-end, not sure what else is in a similar class?

Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

nm posted:

Does she care how it drives?
Because if she wants reliability, fuel economy, gadgets galore, in-dash nav, ipod integration, and a backup camera, and doesn't care about how it drives:
Prius. No seriously, this is exactly what the prius does. It has more drat gadgets in the loaded models than anything short of an s-class.

Better driving:
Mazda 3 Skyactiv
2013 Impreza non-turbo

Don't rule out Hyundai and Kia. They are amazing, basically all of them, for the price. The fuel economy is perhaps a bit more optimized for the EPA tests than others (somewhat lower real word numbers), but the cars are drat good.

Oh and don't recommend a Toureg unless you want to be reminded every month that you recommended the car that is back in the shop, again.

I had confused the Touareg w/ the Tiguan (not sure if that makes a difference)

she doesn't care how it drives I don't think, I mean she's been driving a first generation civic hybrid which doesn't (in my opinion) drive so great.

the funny thing is we just borrowed her sister's Kia Sorento for a week and we were both really pleasantly surprised by how nice the car felt for being a Kia. Reliability-wise are they really on the up? She really doesn't care that much about brand status so if they're building reliable/fuel-efficient cars then she would definitely consider it.

how about the Mazda CX-5? It looks like the grand touring edition would have all of the gadgets she'd want and be in budget w/ decent fuel economy... any reports of how it handles and how reliable it is?

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 14, 2012

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So in talking to my girlfriend more about her ideal car it's sounding more like she wants a crossover. She likes the ride height of an SUV a lot better as well as having more space for moving things around and throwing her bike/snowboard/etc. in the back.

I'm making a short list of SUV crossovers for her to check out and based on your guys recommendations the Hyundai Tucson (potentially Santa Fe) and the Kia Sorento (possibly Sportage) are on that list...

I'm also putting the new Honda CRV, VW Tiguan, and Mazda CX-5 on that list but I'm hoping some crossover wizard can tell me if there's a compelling reason to leave any of them off of that list and/or elevate one way above the others?

Any major reliability concerns or anything else to be cognizant of going into this?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Thwomp posted:

I'd shy away from the Mazda 6 (it's a weird clone/semi-clone of the Fusion) since I've already heard bad things about it. The rest of your midsize sedans are all good options for reliable driving applicances and can be had in your price range used. I also always heard good things about the 2008+ Chevy Malibu.

Someone previously mentioned the Tiguan as being perpetually in the shop. I'd agree with that.

Really, the crossover segment is getting more specialized players, each doing something a bit better than its competitors.
2013 Ford Escape - Technology dodads and fuel economy.
2013 Mazda CX-5 - Fuel economy and driving feel.
Hyundai Tuscon/Kia Sportage - Value and warranty.
Chevrolet Equinox - Interior room.
2013 Honda CRV - One of only a couple of real general players. It's does everything well enough.
Dodge Journey - See CRV. General player.

as far as the 2013 ford escape... what kinds of tech dodads are they offering that others don't have already? any real breakthroughs? It looks like their mileage is 21/30 which is about in line with the other compact crossovers, seems to be about the same as the CRV and CX-5

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Are there any comparison breakdowns/reviews/feature-lists to help me figure out how Subaru differentiates the new Impreza's from the Outback's? It looks like the Outback is intended to fall between the Forester and Impreza in their lineup but as the Forester has gotten lower and the Impreza has gotten bigger I'm finding it hard to tell the difference between them.