Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
How do you guys feel about...

1 - Pre-owned Certified Cars, I'm looking at 2009+ Audi A4s, A3s or maybe even a A4 Avant - it's the Wagon of the A4. Or hell maybe even a BMW 3 Series.

2 - Electric Cars - Personally, I find the Lexus CT200h to be quite appealing. Same goes for the Honda Insight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Here my situation,

I'm 27 Years old in Fargo, ND. I'm currently driving a 1997 Nissan Maxima with 140k - it's surprisingly well taken-care of and even mostly rust free. A month ago a I decided to see what would happen if I switched from All-State to another insurance company. I'm currently paying $50 for liability only but Progressive and State Farm will only cost me $60 for Comp, Collision, Uninsured.

I quoted them at some wild ideas, why not a ~$15k 2007 BMW or Honda? $5 more a month, or $65.

Which makes me think - what's the point of so much insuring the Nissan which is only worth $3k? I know I have good credit and I could probably get an auto-loan at 5%? $15k at 5% for four years only $1.5k in interest - although I'd probably pay it off a lot sooner.

The only catch is I've got about $17k in Student Loans which if I am careful I could pay-off next summer completely or with-in two years. I make a bit over $45k.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 24, 2013

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Proposed Budget: $20k
Body Style: Small Coupe or Sedan
Use: Commuting and almost daily to go on customer sites that may be a few hundred miles out of town and North Dakota roads aren't known for being the best
Desires: Balance between comfort and fun. Manual preferred. Leaning towards AWD.

Here's what I've thought about...

Impreza / Lancer - The new 2012 model can be had for $17,000 with a manual transmission which sounds like a great deal but the more read about it the more bored I get.

Impreza WRX / Lancer Evo X - Really exciting but things get out my budget. Not sure how insurance would feel about this.

Audi A4 - A few grand over, cost to insure is surprisingly more affordable than I thought.

BMW 328xi - Same as above, but it's hard to find one in stick.

BMW 128i - Affordable fun but I'm afraid I'd get stuck one day?

Am I missing any particular brands/models?

Update - Looks like Subaru had a Impreza 2.5GT for a while but it's incredibly difficult to find.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 18, 2013

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

nm posted:

Audis aren't known for reliability and getting it fixed anywhere but Fargo or maybe Minot will be next to impossible.
I'd say the latter part for the BMWs too.

A WRX should be easily achievable within your price range. Don't rule out a legacy GT either. Bigger, nicer inside, basically the same motor.

There's an actual VW dealership in Fargo and plenty of independent shops that'll work on BMWs.

The legacy is quite affordable but I just don't like big cars but the Legacy GT is certainly affordable.

What sites would I use to find cars? I've got carsoup.com, autotrader.com, cars.com.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Has anyone driven the Acura ILX with the 2.4l first-hand?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Throatwarbler posted:

Well here's a pretty detailed comparison betweek it and the Buick Verano turbo.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/12/2013-buick-verano-turbo-vs-2013-acura-ilx-2-4-comparison-review/

Yea,

It seems that overall opinion is that the ILX is nice but not nice enough and that the headroom is headroom lacking or isn't?

Granted, I'm not going to buy one new however used ones start around $23k which is really appealing.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
What's everyone take on the Acura ILX and Audi A3?

I'd be looking at 2014 certified or used models.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

IRQ posted:

Buying a used Audi is a bad idea.

I'd sort agree but 20-40k isn't that many miles.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Throatwarbler posted:

It will still be under warranty for a couple of years too.

There's a bunch of other cars within that range I would check out first before either of those, starting with the Civic Si and the Jetta GLI naturally, but also the Buick Verano.

Those are the same size and great suggestions but just aren't my style.

On another note...

1) Is there expected to be big market shift once Telsa release the Model-3 and Lexus a upgraded ct200h?

2) What about self-driving cars in 2020?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 6, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't know about any new Tesla models, isn't the S the one that's out right now? Why would a new CT200h change anything? It's a hybrid Corolla, no one is buying them right now, I can't imagine what they could do with a new model that will cause any big market shifts.

Cars will become more autonomous sure, but full autonomy is pretty far in the future IMO, for one thing the curret crop of sensor based cars still can't do things like drive in the rain.

That was a mistake on part I put the Model-S instead of Model-3. I was under the impression the ct200h is a nicer Prius?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
What's the general goon consensus on convertibles?

I've never owned one but think it'd be interesting I can't think any drawbacks that'd be big deal aside from less trunk space which isn't that important to me.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Guinness posted:

It depends on which convertible we're talking about.

Convertibles are fuckin' awesome on the right car if you enjoy driving and don't mind some of the trade offs. :words:

Thanks for the reply, that's awesome. If I did pick up a convertible I'd be in climate that rarely goes below 40. The only thing that concerns me is the soft top bit - are they really that sensitive? If I keep it under a car port will that suffice?

As for the car, I'm strong looking towards a 128i and I don't think I'd mind the drawbacks. I don't want or need a sports car I just want a sporty car and occasionally I do need to hall things so 4 seater or 2+2 is necessarily.

On the same subject, what's the with the mesh grill that often covers up the rear seats? I get the feeling it reduces wind but is this easily stored in the car? Lastly, I've heard car insurance is typically more expensive for convertibles?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Wind deflector, most of them are retractable on bigger cars.

I would stay away from the 1 if you need anything approaching practicality as the back seats are good for amputees or possibly small children only. Much better to go with a 3 or A4 sized convertible.

I'm perfectly comfortable with that as it's not like I'm sitting in the back but if I do need to pick someone up is there a place for the Wind Deflector?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Is there any relation between the 2016 ILX and 2016 Civic or has Honda decided to make two separate platforms?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

nm posted:

The chassis is basically the same and made in the same factory. The engine is from the civic si. The dual clutch transmission is ILX only for now.

Hilariously, the 2016 Civic gets Apple CarPlay but the 2016 ILX does not?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Anyone drive the 2012-2015 Acura ILX?

I just want small commuter without the cheapness or sticker-shock of German Cars.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Alright folks,

I'm 30 and I've been able to remain steadily employed for the past decade with a successful IT Career. My college loans are nearly paid off and I've got more than my 6-months savings. I've given myself soft-budget of $35k/y and I've been eyeing the new Audi 3 2.0T Convertible or Audi TT Convertible. Granted, I want to wait until my loans are completely paid off but this is my tentative target.

I'm well aware this would super totally cool but tell me goons why this a bad idea.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Both of those cars are poo poo.

Phone posted:

Both of those cars are poo poo. If you ever want to deplete your 6 months savings, I highly recommending buying a VAG product and keeping it for 5 years. Something made out of plastic will break and it will cost you 5k to fix it because Hans thought that Step 1: Remove Engine is an acceptable thing to put into a repair manual.

It seems the general consensus is that general maintenance is expensive and if anything breaks - which it will - it's even more expensive to repair.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
General question,

I had a convertible for work as a rental a few weeks back and thoroughly enjoyed it - a Mazda Miata. I'm kind of thinking maybe this summer I'd purchase a convertible but I'm curious is there anything I am going to hate after owning it for a few months? I won't be in a state with much rain and little to no snow. The only thing that did bother me was the road noise occasionally making it difficult to talk a passenger, slightly higher auto insurance (I'm 33) and it seems that I'd lose badly against any other car especially if it's a roadster.

Thoughts?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
On a side note, I probably wouldn't go with the Miata but maybe 2-Series or something just a bit bigger. It's a snug fit at 6'2 and my concern was a collision with a say an SUV. The height difference is crazy.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

mariooncrack posted:

New or used?

Daily driver or second fun car?

Used. Budget is $16-22k or basically whenever I find something interesting in decent shape that's a good deal. I'm a little impartial to the BMW Z4 since I've seen it describe as a more comfortable and slightly larger Miata with the added benefit of finding one in a manual transmission seems to be much more likely.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

zapplez posted:

4 stars in a modern car is actually pretty bad.

That being said, enjoy your life and have fun with a convertible. Its much better as a 2nd car than a daily driver though.

And get a mustang instead.

How's that?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

What is the saddest convertible ever made? A car that should never have been?

PT Cruiser?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
What are everyone's thoughts here on the $35k (Plus Tax Credit) for the Tesla Model 3? Personally, it doesn't seem like that bad of deal and you don't really miss out on much if anything at all.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cascadia Pirate posted:

If you're looking at EVs go look at the Bolt, the new Kia, and the Leaf extended range. You also should be aware that the tax credit is ending on some of these at various times over the next year.

I thought it in was in for good and they weren't going to remove it? On the other the hand, I was impressed with the Nissan Leaf. It's just a Prius but EV and nicer. I just wish they'd throw the same engine in a normal car or fastback.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
What's everyone using to find a car? I've been searching through cars.com, autotrader and Craiglist. Am I missing anything?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The Tesla Model Y looks attractive and practical.

Tell me why this is a bad idea?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Nitrox posted:

It's looking that way.

First a semiconductor production needs to scale up to meet demand. Then automakers need to make enough cars. Then deliver and distributor across the network of dealerships. And then everyone who is waiting for a car has to buy one. And the last, and very important step, new cars need to start piling up at the distributor lots in order for prices to get flexible again.

Anyone who thinks all this is going to happen in six months is delusional at best.

Once this does occur, I assume we should expect used car values to drop like a rock similar to how wood exploded in value over the summer? :ohdear:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Gotcha, so basically what you are telling me that high used car prices are going to last for a while and we shouldn't expect a sudden price drop. :smith:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
This isn't directly a car buying question but more of a market one but looking at this graph - what is going to occur when the chip shortage does end and new cars begin flooding back into showrooms and dealers lots? Am I correct in my suspicion that we're going to see a ton of deprecation? If so, doesn't it just make more sense to buy new at this time or something pre-owned or certified? If do need a vehicle but want something that at least holds most of it's value but does is the generic recommendation still just a Toyota Camry or whatever Ford/GM 4-door Sedan?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So... it sounds like the traditional advice still applies, buy something reasonable not a 7-Series BMW.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I would love the market to reflect this!

Used car prices could crash - will they?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

davecrazy posted:

Is it true Ford has parking lots full of 2020 models waiting for chips?

I've heard they've been delivering vehicles to lots without the electronics then ship them to the dealership once installed. And in other news I found this gem,

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1481748763714670596?s=20

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
What are the hot takes on the BZ4X? Assuming it's priced around ~$45k.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yes, my hot take is why? everything else at that price point is more compelling unless you most have a toyota

My only thought is that it's normal compact crossover SUV but electric but this is a good point... And the more reading I do more hesitant I am now buying an EV vehicle but I can't justify spending $45k+ on a Model 3.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm seriously liking the Kia EV6 but availability is an issue...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Throatwarbler posted:

So are they going to start building new cars or where are we on that

I posted a bit about this earlier, the current analysis shows this is probably the peak of the peak of used car market with the current projections starting to show significant improvement in the beginning of next year.

Edit - And I hope they are right. Badly. Because I also need to buy a car.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 24, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So...

Should anyone really factor in replacement parts for an older car when buying something used? Assuming it's something normal not an exotic or something like Saab.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
While we're discussing cars,

I'm going to wait until things settle down a bit with the chip shortage but could I go wrong with either a Lexus UX250h or NX300h? I want something nice, comfortable, maintainable, reliable but still relatively efficient. The only negative perspective I am able to think of is that they are slightly nicer rebadged Toyotas but that's kind of what I want without the costs of European vehicles.

I'm fine with a hybrid and could care less about going fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
That's fine with me, I just want a slightly larger car with the convince, ride height and storage of a hatchback. I was also thinking about a CX-30 but there's no hybrid option.

I didn't even realize the Venza even existed. That's an interesting option. Now my only remaining concern is what happens the supply shortage ends - I'm thinking that when it does if I buy a $25k car that going to be a $5k loss or more but I think I could live with that.