Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geckoagua
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

Lady totaled my reliable Accord '01 from behind, now I need a car by Monday!

Proposed Budget: 25-30K
New or Used: New, or at least certified pre-owned.
Body Style: 2DR Coupe or 4DR Sedan
How will you be using the car?: Driving to work 15-20 minutes weekdays, usual weekend driving.

What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability/Warranty, Fun to drive (Accord felt week with 4 cylinders). I like luxury items like sunroofs and gadgets, but there's only so much I'm willing to pay for leather. The closer to 25K the better, but since I intend to drive this car until its demise, I'm willing to pay more for a long-term payoff.

I had been looking at Nissan Altimas, Kia Optimas, but people I've talked to seem down on either brand. I know nearly nothing about cars, so any and all advice is very appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geckoagua
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

Leperflesh posted:

When shopping for cars (and especially used cars), it is very bad to be under this kind of time pressure. By all means spend the weekend looking, but you should line up a rental car for Monday and feel free to rent a car for a few days or a week, rather than be forced to buy a car after test driving maybe two or three, and having to buy something that's on the lot, and not being able to do much comparison shopping.

This is a very big purchase: give it the time and attention it deserves.

Also: check your insurance coverage, because some will give you a few days of a rental car for free under various circumstances.

I agree, it's a pretty crap situation. The other insurance company is covering the rental until monday, but I really dislike having to pay out of pocket for something with zero return. In my brilliance I never took the rental clause on my insurance so I can't really use that option. I'm thinking I will check out several places over the weekend, if I simply don't find anything I'm satisfied with I'll extend, but I'd rather not.

Does anybody have an opinion on Nissan's? I really like what I see but nobody seems familiar with the brand.