Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

thank god for us posted:

I've been hatchback shopping as well. Test drove the Mazda 3, Golf, Accent, and Impreza. I actually found the Golf to be the lightest and fastest.

The Impreza was a bit of a slug but awd is always nice in the winter. The Mazda 3 is somewhere in between the Impreza and the Golf, but it's nothing spectacular and the interior leaves a lot to be desired.
The Accent is an Accent....

Deciding between the Golf and the Impreza is going to be tough.

Which trim level of 3 was it? I sat in a couple at the last auto show I went to and the lower trim level seemed pretty dismal but the upper trim level - Touring? - felt pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Just to be sure - have you confirmed the lien is still valid? Last time I got a title re-issued, they assured me that all I needed to sell the car was the old title + the release of lien letter the bank sent. It seems possible your GF might have kept the title but tossed the letter.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

You'd be surprised how easy it is to fall into that trap. Even with power brakes, you really need to be on the pedal hard to induce lockup and/or ABS.

Not to mention the fear factor when the ABS makes the pedal vibrate. People who haven't felt it almost always decide it means the car just broke down. IMO the most valuable part of the Teen Defensive Driving class I took with my daughter at Mid-Ohio was the ABS stop and steer drill. All the kids were amazed at how hard a car could brake and how controllable it was once they got past their fear of such an abrupt and vigorous force.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

KillHour posted:

There are a few things in the US where the highway patrol shuts down a straight-ish stretch of highway and you can legally go well over posted speed limits as long as you pay the entrance fee and have the appropriate safety gear. There should be more of that.

As an aside, that's why 0-60 times are becoming a big driver for car sales. You can actually legally/safely do that on an empty onramp.

West of Ann Arbor, Huron River Driver follows the course of the river, which means it naturally has some nice curves. It's also used by people out for a scenic drive, a scenic bicycle ride, etc, so the 35mph speed limit makes sense. I've thought for years that the city ought to close it for one day each year and charge people $100 a shot to drive a long stretch of it without restraint. Split the money 50/50 between the city and the poor (edit: meaning misfortunate; they are certainly not economically poor on the stretch I mean) people who live there and get stuck at home for a day, and I think everyone might come out ahead in the end.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 28, 2022

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all cars easily accelerate on to the highway now, it's not 1970s Europe

The power gap between 50 and 65 in Honda's e-CVT power train makes accelerating to highway speeds a little nerve-wracking sometimes.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you wanna know if sales are dropping why don't you look at sales data and days of inventory data rather than reading a single specific post on these dead gay comedy forums and making some poo poo up from it

Because that is not how post is made.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What's AI opinion on the Acura ILX or Honda Insight? These are in my budget and seems cheaper than I expected?

My wife likes her Insight. I mostly like it when I drive it, though it's not exactly fun to drive. My only real gripe is that the "e-CVT" enters a power trough somewhere around 50mph. Merging onto the highway can be a little stressful.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Chrysler doesn't make a bad car, do they? They have the Pacifica, which is a fine minivan that is competitive and not much less reliable than the rest of the field, and the Pacifica Hybrid, which is a decent PHEV.

Is this one of those trick questions where we say their cars are bad but then it turns out nothing they still make is legally a car?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

taycan cross turismo with K02s

I want this, but with air suspension, so I can have it at anything from track height to "Michigan is too poor to plow this week".

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't feel like Panameras have depreciated at the same rate, and hooh boy have you ever seen one from the outside

That's the best thing about driving one - it's one less you might have to look at from the outside.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Motronic posted:

I get that, but also you need to understand the difference between repairs and maintenance.

Brakes are not repairs. Tires are not repairs. Timing belts are not repairs. If you've recently done some or all of these things they don't need to be done again for a long time. So it's exactly the wrong time to be saying "this car is too expensive to maintain!" and hand it off to someone else who is gonna drive it for 5+ years without needing to do a drat thing to it.

This is a really important point that I had not seen worded so well.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I'm the exact opposite I treat the car as a boat, get it to speed then use cruise control to maintain speed. My neighborhood is 25mph and I'm on cruise control before I get to the end of the block. Then at the end of the street it's a left turn and 35mph for two miles to the grocery store. Also on cruise control. I might as well be in a leather upholstered bus.

I do this around town because otherwise I will speed.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Captain Log posted:

gently caress me, the CR-Z sold a couple hours ago while I was at a dentist appointment.

It was probably too close to the ground for me to comfortably get in and out, but I was excited about that one.

One of my best friends alternates between crutches and a wheelchair for getting around, and he loves his CR-Z. Bummer that you missed it, but if another one shows up in your area, test drive that sucka.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I say buy one in plausible but far-from-collectable condition, then find a good shop to swap in a current LS crate motor. It will be fun for a least thirty minutes and hey, it's not my car. :>

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

davecrazy posted:

Done. Picked her up today.

How did you get home?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Is that Greg from Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles on YouTube?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Subaru used to make some pretty good cars. It takes time for people to revise their impressions. The bad news for Subaru is that it takes them even longer to revise then upward than it does to revise them downward.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

ethanol posted:

this car is so loving stupid

It's an exotic I could drive on any road in Michigan. If I had stupid money, that would be a fun stupid way to spend it.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I already have "not a GM" in my mental list of rental car preferences. It's about to become an absolutely rigid rule.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

black.lion posted:

So my initial questions: Are Audis even vaguely reliable? Is there any compelling reason to get, or NOT to get, either the A6 Allroad or A4 Allroad? Is maintenance on an Audi ridiculously expensive? If I go to an Audi dealership with a PDF printout of what I want them to order for me, should I expect to pay a premium over MSRP shown from audi.com?

I'm on my second Audi. Four years in, this one has only needed unscheduled service once, and that was because I'd been parking it outside and a critter started nesting in the engine bay. My first Audi went seven years with one unscheduled maint, to fix a bad brake sensor. I'm happy with their reliability.

Service costs are not cheap. The prepaid Audi Care plan will save you money at a dealer, but it's still expensive. Once you're out of that window, dealer work is triple digits for everything. I don't know if this is just my dealer or all of them, but it also seems to take longer to get work done. Acura and Subaru could always complete a routine oil & filter type service in under an hour. If I wait for that at Audi, they take two, and they make pained faces at me. I try to get rides from my wife and drop it off instead.

Overall, I'd happily buy another if their current interiors didn't make me look enviously at Mazdas that cost 2/3 as much.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

black.lion posted:

Any thoughts on what I really lose going to the A4 Allroad instead of the A6 Allroad? Assume top trim levels for either (think I have to go top trim level to get ventilated seats in either anyway)

Both mine have been S4s, so I can't speak from authority about the *6-series. My experience has been that I can carry 4 adults in comfort but adding a fifth is uncomfortable. If you need Sorrento-size room for your family, I think you might get pushed to the A6. I've always wished I could get the night vision thing the A6 has, but I also suspect that if I had it, I might think it was an annoying gimmick. That is the only feature I've ever wanted but not had.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

zedprime posted:

Not having a touch screen is the correct UIX but you're going to have your own personal taste. No contest, you can't use a touchscreen without putting yourself in danger while a knob and hard buttons are usable with your eyes on the road to do routine UI stuff.

I've been in a few different rentals since infotainment screens became standard and Mazda's is my favorite because of the no-touchscreen and the relative size of screen to dash and physical controls.

They've added capacitive touch back in to some of the later Mazda models but it behooves you to use the dial and buttons which were forged in the UIX fires of not having a touchscreen fallback and work well.

I agree with this as a matter of design and safety but on my car, I sometimes find Android Auto apps that just don't do well with the scroll wheel. Waze, for example, seems to move the cursor for me, for reasons I don't understand. I think that if I used AA a lot, I'd want a touchscreen, even though I hate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

black.lion posted:

Awesome thanks, rn our family is 2x adults, a 2yo, and two small dogs... another kid is prob in the cards in the lifetime of this car, but we will be max'd at 4 humans 2 dogs, so I think space-wise this will work (esp with a Thule thingie on top for luggage, dogs can go in the rear area in the Allroad)

The night vision on A6 doesn't excite me but I do sort of want the HUD feature (projection on the windshield) - have some memory that isn't on the A4 even at top trim level, but otherwise aside from size I don't really see a need for the A6 (my dad keeps telling me A6 only option bc better engine lol)

A4 Allroad Prestige gets the HUD, at least here in the US. On my 2019, if you are using your phone for navigation, the navigation cues do not show up on the HUD. Only the onboard nav works with it. That was a disappointment for me. It might be something they've improved now, so I urge you to check if it matters to you.