Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BruceDoh
Jul 2, 2006
With the Canadian election on the horizon, I am in the position where I have a job with Elections Canada for about 6 weeks. This job is about 20km from my home, so not having a car becomes a huge inconvenience. I live close enough to my regular job that I just bike to work, or take the bus if the weather sucks. Therefore, I'm really not interested in continuing to pay for a car after the election period.

I reach out to you fine goons to help me decide whether it is worth it to buy a used car that I would use for two months, and then sell. I understand I would have to pay HST as well as registration fees, though I'm not exactly sure how much they would be. Renting a car for the same period would cost about $1500, plus $25/day or something like that for the insurance. I'm also only 24, so I would imagine there would be some newb tax on top of that. Biking/bussing is also a last resort, since either one of those would take about 3 hours out of my day.

So far, I've looked at cars in the under $5000 range, and I like the look of this 2005 Saturn Ion: http://www.carpages.ca/used/2005/Sa.../Ontario/673837
I know I could probably get something cheaper too, but looking at all of those cheap cars scares me, since I don't know much about cars, and don't know how reliable they will be.

So what do you goons think? Would this be a smart move, or do you think I would end up spending too much money on fees and taxes? What other options do you think I would have? Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU