Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

zfleeman posted:

So, I stopped reading TWD about a year and a half ago because a) apathy and b) that dude with the tiger was really bonkers. Should I get back into it? Are people hot or cold on the series right now?

I did EXACTLY the same as you. Just today I caught up and I think you should give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's still kind of spinning its wheels but yeah it's better now than it's been in a long while.

Taking a break and catching up by collection is by far the best choice. Monthlies are a really bad way to read Walking Dead.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Taking a break and catching up by collection is by far the best choice. Monthlies are a really bad way to read Walking Dead.

the latest issue is a testament to the fact

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I feel like the current storyline is something that would have been better skipped over. I think everyone's ready to move on to Carl's adulthood.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any chance of some Cliffs?

I'm up to the book with Rick and Neagan coming to a deal after the main assault where the tiger dies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TheBalor posted:

I feel like the current storyline is something that would have been better skipped over. I think everyone's ready to move on to Carl's adulthood.

Looks like he is on his way to being a man now.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Nothing like a good eye socket licking to really rev your engine. I hate this comic but I keep reading it.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

Nothing like a good eye socket licking to really rev your engine. I hate this comic but I keep reading it.

I've been reading TWD out of inertia for a while and that page is really making me re-evaluate that decision

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I stopped reading when Rick took Negan prisoner instead of just offing him on the spot, I understand there was a time skip and now it's even more boring?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Negan was just The Governor but more drawn-out. This book's been out of ideas for a while.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Whisperers are a new idea, and so is turning Hilltop into small-town teen drama. The problem isn't a shortage of new ideas.

The problem is that Kirkman comes up with a cool concept, then steers it directly at the least interesting outcome. At one-quarter throttle.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Negan was just The Governor but more drawn-out. This book's been out of ideas for a while.

I want an all-Negan, all-the-time spinoff. He is one of the most interesting, if not THE most interesting characters in the comic.

However, I could do without Kirkman ending every issue in a "cliffhanger", which is not so much a cliffhanger because it is resolved the next page of the next issue every single time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've said this before, but my favorite last-page-bullshit is the one where Rick's yelling about how he's OK with other people's kids getting eaten because THEY'RE NOT OUR KIDS! and then the next issue he's like "...I'd say if I were a jerk. Let's go save those kids!" :downs:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Did anyone watch the TV show, is the new guy jesus?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Crankit posted:

He said his name was Aaron which is one of the scouts from Alexandria.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Crankit posted:

I think he is the shows version since he knew Ricks name and had presumably been scouting the group. In next week's preview Rick is looking at pictures of a wall so that leads me to believe he's from Alexandria.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

moths posted:

I've said this before, but my favorite last-page-bullshit is the one where Rick's yelling about how he's OK with other people's kids getting eaten because THEY'RE NOT OUR KIDS! and then the next issue he's like "...I'd say if I were a jerk. Let's go save those kids!" :downs:

That's the funniest.

The worst are when he basically shows somebody being violently attacked only to somehow reverse the outcome instantly in the next issue. Like Dwight launching a bolt straight through RIck's innards only for it to be an elaborate "stunt" meant to give a false impression. Or the cliff of Rick slashing Negan's throat in front of several Saviors with loaded guns only to explain, in detail, to everyone in the first page of the next comic that it was a non fatal, treatable wound from an unpoisioned knife.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

ATP5G1 posted:

I want an all-Negan, all-the-time spinoff. He is one of the most interesting, if not THE most interesting characters in the comic.

However, I could do without Kirkman ending every issue in a "cliffhanger", which is not so much a cliffhanger because it is resolved the next page of the next issue every single time.

I must agree. I liked Negan more then some of the main characters. Before I read it, I was told he made the governor look like Santa Claus. While Negan "taxes" were high he did live up to his end of the deal, and if recall correctly those "taxes " were spread among the people of his city. Unlike Rick he doesn't abandon his rules when ever he wants. I wish they would cast Bruce Campbell as Negan

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Is this poo poo over yet, last time I read one of these comics uhhh Neegan was in jail.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Carl is going to screw up being the Paragon of Justice like his father and Negan will be the only person he can effectively bond with.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Just caught up with issue 137 after bingeing the whole series over the last few weeks.

I don't know what to do with myself now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

Just caught up with issue 137 after bingeing the whole series over the last few weeks.

Binge on a good comic book.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

GrAviTy84 posted:

Trace over all of Negan's word balloons with a red marker and pretend you're reading Crossed.

Or lick an eye socket.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Alpha seems interesting. What really got my attention was the hint that there could be thousands of whisperers, and that they represent the new status quo.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

moths posted:

Alpha seems interesting. What really got my attention was the hint that there could be thousands of whisperers, and that they represent the new status quo.

I took they meant thousands of Walker-underlings, more than actual people in whisperer suits.

I like how they are hunter-gatherers. I mean with next to no vehicles being driven for half a decade their must be crazy proliferation of rodents.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
It's probably supposed to be ambiguous whether it's a thousand Whisperers or a thousand Whisperers + Walkers.

Also I think there should have a been at least a short discussion or sit down to establish some things, like just where are the Whisperers' lands, so further intrusions don't happen accidentally. Maybe establish some sort of signal they could give so they don't get mistaken for walkers in the future (cross arms over your head, goon wiggle from DayZ, etc.). Although it looks like the plot is going in a way that would've made any of that moot, so whatever.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
What kind of noise is wramm?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I was all hyped for todays issue and outside of a great return it was kind of a let down. I was really hoping that the ship on the cover would be from another part of America or even better...Europe so that we could get a bigger perspective on whats going on with the world.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

The last issue was probably the most unlikable version of Rick, he is even growing a classic upturned villain-stache when he guilt-trips and lectures everyone.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Did anything interesting happen since the time skip? This thread spoke about some talking zombies or something, was it just some guys pretending to be zombies as you guys speculated or did the zombies actually evolve in some manner?

I apologize for the laziness but I really don't feel like catching up and I'm just wondering if anything actually changed, at all, since the time skip.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Did anything interesting happen since the time skip? This thread spoke about some talking zombies or something, was it just some guys pretending to be zombies as you guys speculated or did the zombies actually evolve in some manner?

I apologize for the laziness but I really don't feel like catching up and I'm just wondering if anything actually changed, at all, since the time skip.

It's a group called the Whisperers that wear tanned zombie skins and move with the heard. It looks like they have some sort of community. The Hilltop crew captured the daughter of one of the Whisperers, Carl got Maggie to release her. The girl and Carl hosed, then the Whisperers came for her. Maggie gave their daughter back and then Carl snuck out Hilltop and followed after them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Holy poo poo todays issue is crazy. I do not think that this is going to have a happy ending.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Yeah, today's issue was incredibly disturbing and unexpected. Almost approached issue 48 levels of trauma. The series is going to be crazy again fora while because the aftermaths are going to be insane.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Might I ask for a brief spoiler summary? sounds interesting.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This happens
They find the following people beheaded by the whisperers
◾Olivia
◾Josh
◾Carson
◾Tammy Rose
◾Luke
◾Erin
◾Ken
◾Amber
◾Louie
◾Oscar
◾Rosita Espinosa
◾Ezekiel

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

emanresu tnuocca posted:

To add a little more detail:

The whisperers have a HUGE herd under their "control". Their leader tells Rick to gently caress off past their border and to never return or else they'll unleash the herd on Rick's town/land. Also says that Rick will know what their border is. As they're leaving they see a line of sticks with heads on them (those listed above).

Someone mentioned that this book marks the end for the next compendium which "gave away" something big happening given the previous two compendium ends (Lori and Glen).

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Thanks, that sounds somewhat interesting, I might need to catch up on this thing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Someone mentioned that this book marks the end for the next compendium which "gave away" something big happening given the previous two compendium ends (Lori and Glen).

That's not true. The last one ended with them at the hilltop. Negan was not introduced yet. So it was 50 50 when it came to insane endings.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 8, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The thing Alpha said about being leader until someone takes it from her made me think Rick was going to end up doing that... but Negan's alive, too, and I don't know how Kirkman could reel that back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I feel like Negan wouldn't really dig wearing a zombie suit all day every day.

• Locked thread