Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He probably just wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Negan isn't a fan of rape, so clearly he is the man to destroy these people.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

therealjon_ posted:

Negan isn't a fan of rape, so clearly he is the man to destroy these people.

I would not be shocked if Rick released him to create as much damage as possible and it then biting him in the rear end.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'm pretty sure that is exactly where this is all leading.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm having a hard time with this issue. I'm not sure how the bald zombie chick had the time to quietly abduct and decapitate all those people, particularly the ones like Rosita who were in the middle of town.

Although... man, Rosita was pregnant. :smith:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wanderer posted:

Although... man, Rosita was pregnant. :smith:

I know they always tout that no one is safe, and something might take you out.

But yeah Rosita being beheaded was just... eh. That storyline of Rosita cheating on Eugene, then them deciding to raise it as his own went nowhere.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It feels like such a step backwards in the writing for the series' first actually mature and engaging romantic subplots to get turned into REVENGE! motivations in one issue.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Sorry, wrong thread.

Andrew_1985 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 11, 2015

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

moths posted:

It feels like such a step backwards in the writing for the series' first actually mature and engaging romantic subplots to get turned into REVENGE! motivations in one issue.
Yeah, I can appreciate the whole "anyone can die in a dangerous world" thing, but I don't know if it was the silly one-woman stealth massacre rather than like... a real cause and effect death, but this seemed like the most blatant "let's kill characters purely to make the reader feel strong feelings!" since Negan basically spelled that out as his reasoning for killing Glen.

As this arc was building up I've been feeling vaguely good about it because they're building up new ideas and ways of living, and there's no way they could do another Governor/Negan plot, basically identical line for line with the characters replaced and the scale increased. But here we are. Admittedly with a much more dramatic twist than "like the Governor but with a sense of humor and doesn't like rape," but ultimately just another twist on that exact same whole story. I guess Ron Pearlman had it right.

That said, it'll still be a pretty interesting to watch, just like it was pretty interesting the last couple of times.

I wonder if they're going to treat it like it's a twist when Lydia's mom reveals that she was sending her daughter away with Rick to protect her from being raped, not because Lydia was weak, but because Alpha thought she was weak or whatever for still being... uh... bothered by her daughter getting raped. 'Cause it seemed like one of those pretty obvious things they'll try to turn into a revelation to "redeem" her later on.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Eiba posted:

Yeah, I can appreciate the whole "anyone can die in a dangerous world" thing, but I don't know if it was the silly one-woman stealth massacre rather than like... a real cause and effect death, but this seemed like the most blatant "let's kill characters purely to make the reader feel strong feelings!" since Negan basically spelled that out as his reasoning for killing Glen.

The more I think about it, the less sense this makes, yeah. I could see Alpha managing to grab Ezekiel, since he was running out of town after Michonne like a moron, or that one dude at the blacksmith hut by pretending to be into him, but that's about it.

It would be marginally more believable if she's got a dude back at her camp who used to be a special-effects expert or a makeup artist or something, and that's not saying a hell of a lot..

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Why do you all think she did it? She could have just ordered others to do it while she went and had her talk with Rick.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The rest of her people are only capable of zombie wrangling and getting killed.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

therealjon_ posted:

Why do you all think she did it? She could have just ordered others to do it while she went and had her talk with Rick.

this was pretty much what I thought had happened when reading it. Less Alpha is a super bad rear end and more like the whisperers are everywhere

Tetris Crowley
Aug 17, 2007
who wants waffles!?

bobkatt013 posted:

I would not be shocked if Rick released him to create as much damage as possible and it then biting him in the rear end.

Pretty much what I'm expecting to happen.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Sitting in the Kirkman panel at NY Comicon. They showed a preview of the comic #150 cover.

Edit: sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, here is a better version
http://media.comicbook.com/2015/10/walking-dead-150-cover-154409.jpg

tomapot fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 9, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I just recently got caught up on both the comic and this thread. It's kind of funny to go back a few pages in the thread and see everybody consistently guess wrong on where the story is going to go.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Just read issue 151.

They're hinting that Rick is gonna let Negan run the Saviors again, right?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

boom boom boom posted:

Just read issue 151.

They're hinting that Rick is gonna let Negan run the Saviors again, right?

Seems that's the direction they're going. But who knows, it's not like this comic hasn't given a last page or two shocker that is immediately resolved a month later about 151 times.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm excited to see who the person on the radio is. I love how the world has been expanding, I can't wait to see how more communities have adapted to the zombie world.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
this looks awesome

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The covers are still great. I get that they don't put them in the trades to avoid breaking up the flow of the story, but they're really cool regardless.

I also like that Dwight, despite everything he's done, has no self confidence and doesn't believe in himself at all. Like on the 'Call to Arms' cover, he's looking all imposing, but still looks really unsure of himself.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Issue 152: It's issues like this that make me just stop reading for a few months. I've never followed a series that excelled so well at stretching something that should have taken two pages at most to a full issue length.

I can't say that nothing happened this month because Negan's out but I open the book and two minutes later I'm looking at the letters page wondering if I missed something.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

boom boom boom posted:

this looks awesome

I'm guessing it's supposed to be his belt, but the guy painting looks like he's sporting some serious plumber's crack.

Agreed with you bango skank. A lot of times I feel Kirkman could condense a lot of his scenes and actually devote pages to characters that don't get a heck of a lot of screen time. Instead the whole comic was basically pissed off, grieving kid hates Rick.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm really curious to see how the show handles Negan being basically Kirkman's in-universe voice. If you look back, he has a habit of indirectly addressing the reader - not in an overt Deadpool 4th wall sort of way, but by including us in his thought process and being extremely open.

Maybe I'm reading too much into his initial appearance, but when he was deciding who to kill it read like Kirmman's thought process on which character to eliminate. Now that he's Rick's "personal demon" it reads like Kirkman goading Rick into making the comics more interesting.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I fully expect the next issue to open with a shot or someone yelling Rick's name and everyone scrambling towards it only to find Negan chilling on a bench with the dead kid by him and Negan's just smugly using the opportunity to call Rick out on poo poo. Wouldn't be the first time someone goes behind Rick's back to Negan.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I dropped out of this comic a while ago, after Negan appeared, killed Glenn, chumped Rick's settlement and took their supplies and medicine, and then the gang went off to meet the King of Georgia or something to help them take Negan down.

How are you guys still discussing Negan? How did they make him into anything besides a crazy megalomaniac to be eventually killed by Rick or Michonne?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

You could always just read it.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phenotype posted:

I dropped out of this comic a while ago, after Negan appeared, killed Glenn, chumped Rick's settlement and took their supplies and medicine, and then the gang went off to meet the King of Georgia or something to help them take Negan down.

How are you guys still discussing Negan? How did they make him into anything besides a crazy megalomaniac to be eventually killed by Rick or Michonne?

Long story short, Rick & Co. eventually raid Negan's hideout and defeat him but instead of killing him, Rick has him locked up in a cell in the basement of one of the houses in Alexandria because KILLING IS WRONG! Next issue has a 2 year time skip and he's still locked up down there and Rick occasionally visits to ask advice. That's more or less where we are now.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

bango skank posted:

Long story short, Rick & Co. eventually raid Negan's hideout and defeat him but instead of killing him, Rick has him locked up in a cell in the basement of one of the houses in Alexandria because KILLING IS WRONG! Next issue has a 2 year time skip and he's still locked up down there and Rick occasionally visits to ask advice. That's more or less where we are now.

And that right there is why, no, I could not just read it.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

That's a bummer, because the comic is actually pretty interesting now.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah fwiw the timeskip breathed some much needed new life into the setting, so the book's more interesting than it's been for a while(pacing issues aside.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
A time skip does seem interesting but Negan drags the whole thing down.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

CharlestheHammer posted:

A time skip does seem interesting but Negan drags the whole thing down.
Honestly, the ending to Negan's arc where he realizes that he has been a crazy rear end in a top hat holding back civilization was great. It is just unfortunate that after that revelation Kirkman couldn't think of anything to do with him better than 'become a lame Hannibal Lecter knock-off'.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
153: Negans gonna Negan.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bango skank posted:

153: Negans gonna Negan.

That leather jacket though.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

This is like the 50th time that Rick has had his grandiose plans explode in his face.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Issue 154: I know Kirkman always wants to add some last minute characterization before offing his character's but its a bit odd to have folks stroll past the Whisperer's "don't pass this point or we will kill and mutilate your loved ones corpses" barrier and immediately have a loud, casual conversation about how fuckable Jesus is.

Aaron stabbed in side by Whisperer named Beta, who earlier in issue allowed Negan to join their way of life

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm a little hopeful that Negan's zero-tolerance for rape pays off somehow, given that Kirkman went out of his way to depict the Whisperers' completely opposite attitude on the issue.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

moths posted:

I'm a little hopeful that Negan's zero-tolerance for rape pays off somehow, given that Kirkman went out of his way to depict the Whisperers' completely opposite attitude on the issue.

oh poo poo, yeah i forgot about that. That could be very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
This is the greatest comic panel in the entire comic.

• Locked thread