Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
1975 Honda CB200. It's a dumpster save from the guy who taught me how to work on motorcycles.

He used it to learn to ride offroad, and we use it to teach newbs how to ride. It's not in the best condition, it definitely needs some work, but it still starts up willingly on the first kick and is just so much fun to ride.

Here it is with the other bikes we owned at the time...for around town, I tended to take the 200 rather than the 929.

I used to have a lot of fun on it running up and down Redwood road in the bay area and chasing down squids on it. It's also useful as a knee down trainer! :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VABQbps8n5w

It needs a new stator, (currently doesn't make enough power to charge the battery if the lights are on), new fork seals, new front brake pads, and to be cleaned and had the oil changed. Oh, and it doesn't have working turn signals, or a brake light. Whoops. This bike attracts the most attention out of any bike I've ever owned, we've had people stop traffic to ask us if we'll sell the bike. As my friend says: "An old bike is like an ugly girl...it looks attainable". :v:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm still curious exactly how much of a steal that BSA was ;) Nice bikes, make a thread when you start the rebuild on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

it was all of 500 dollars. - ive been taking pictures of the work, so a thread should be coming soon

:argh:

Kickass bike. Looking forward to that thread.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

Thanks for the replies. I did a little more research today, and it turns out they're both 1969 K1 models, at least if I go by the serial number on the frames. I talked to my father today, and when/if the time presents itself, we're probably going to clean up the (maybe) running bike, and part out everything that's not rusted to poo poo on the other one.

If there's some (any) degree of interest, I'd be willing to post pictures and/or start a project thread, although I'd really only be able to work on the bikes in between keeping my shitbox 92 Accord running (which really is starting to deserve a thread of its own at this point).

Hell yeah post a thread if you get them running...more project threads are always good.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

and will be using the Eddie Lawson Replica as a model for the finished paint.

:hellyeah:

I need to get a paint gun. :sigh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

God, that thing is awesome. :swoon:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phy posted:

What the heck did you register it as?

Registration follows the frame, as the vin is stamped. So it's just a vanilla yamaha to the DMV.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

Actually, that bike was registered as a 1962 BSA, using the engine serial number. The builder got a title from one of the title agencies, getting a 1962 title solves a lot of technical and paperwork issues. Getting it insured was interesting. "BSA, what kind of Harley is a BSA?"

Interesting....but yeah, the older the bike the easier of a time you'll have, at least out here in CA.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

This is why the "just needs a tune up and a carb clean" is bullshit.

And it's amazing what abuse can be handed down, and an engine will still run...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

8ender posted:

Old bikes are awesome for this. I found out that my YDS3 will run just fine with one spark plug completely missing.

I'm that guy :smith:

Don't feel bad. I ran my 93 ZX6E without coolant for, oh, 10k miles. See, the problem is that when the guys who ship your new engine bash it against the wall, it has a tendency to bend the brass coolant rail across the front. If you don't notice this, everything seems fine, but when the bike gets hot, it'll slowly drip out coolant. I, of course, didn't notice, because it was only a drip every so often, it ended up on my exhaust, and I was running water with water wetter for track use, so it didn't smell funny. The temp gauge would go higher than my old engine, but the temp gauge never went into the red. I figured it was just an idiosyncrasy between engines. :downs:

Those 10k miles included some track time, and a trip to laguna motogp in 110 degree weather. The engine blew the day before a trackday, while I was doing a shakedown run at around 155mph. Sounded like I caught a rock in the fairings, but the engine didn't seize until I'd slowed to around 30mph. :sigh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

8ender posted:

It leaks when its off but only a small amount, then it stops. The vacuum petcock is new and works great. I suspect its leaking fuel from that one carb until the fuel level is below the top edge of the float bowl and then stopping. It doesn't leak at all on the centre stand, even with the petcock set to prime.

Are the floats all set to the same height? Is it coming out of the overflow?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

8ender posted:

Yeah same height. Its coming out where the float bowl meets the carb.

Any chance of a bent/warped float bowl? I've sometimes had luck ghetto repairing poo poo by cleaning things up well and then slathering some RTV on the outside to help it seal.

Also, sometimes too much or too little torque on the float bowl bolts can cause it to not seal properly...

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 7, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

G/fs with DRZ400SMs are the best girlfriends :3:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Now, let's come out with this first: I don't have any experience with 2 stroke carburation besides playing with my friend's RD350 quite a bit.

What I can say is that flatslides, when set up and tuned correctly, give you absolute control over what the carb is doing. It doesn't get any simpler than you simply directly lifting the slide yourself. Most modern flatslides have accelerator pumps which completely do away with the issue of them running lean when you slap the throttle.

The throttle response is, bar none, the best I've ever had on any motorcycle. Custom tuned CBR600RR racebikes with built engines, brand new R6s with drive by wire, I have yet to ride a bike that responds the way a properly tuned flatslide does. You can whack the throttle, the bike wheelies and doesn't bog, you can roll on smoothly and progressively. They're fantastic. They give you excellent feedback and control over what's going on because you control exactly how they feed in the air and gas.

Now, do they belong on every motorcycle? No. I'm sure there is a point where you could get the throttle control on a FI bike as good as a set of flatslides, there's other things to think about besides throttle response, but nothing I have ridden ever compares to a bike with a properly set up pair of flatslides. Many of them have been very good and gotten close, but none of them have ever got that dead on response feel.

They also run flatslides on the 125 2 stroke racebikes, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about the size against the carb technology. It's a carb, it delivers fuel, when it's correctly configured it's going to work on any size engine. The only downside that I've found to running the flatslides is they can be a little to a lot more fuel hungry. Besides that, they're the preferred carbs for people who are looking for responsive throttles and more power. If you pair the appropriately sized carb with the bike, I can't see why you'd have any issues running a flatslide.

All of this is just here as a counterpoint. Opinions are like assholes, blah blah blah, and I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures and videos of you building the bike up. I can't honestly say if I would choose to run a flatslide on that bike unless I had some form of baseline for it, because just like any other carb out there, if you gently caress up the setup it'll be miserable and you'll hate life or be spending a bunch of money on dyno time. On a 2 stroke where being lean is a Big Deal™, it may not be the best choice.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 27, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Thanks for the information, everyone. At least it's a bit more civilised than the Questions thread.

I'll definitely consider a flatslide at some point, but not until I have the bike running sweet as a nut with the Amal or similar. I'm curious, and a quick search did not yeild an immediate answer, how is the accelerator pump powered on a flatslide?

There's a lever attached to the circular part of the carb that the throttle cables attach to...when you slap the throttle, it moves a diaphragm that creates vacuum and forces fuel out of the float bowl and sprays it directly into the intake. If you open it more slowly, the diaphragm never creates enough vacuum to pull the fuel through the passageway.

quote:

Properly set up and considered flatslides are clearly a performance advantage, which you could say is 'better'. It isn't everyone's idea of 'better' though. I want this bike to be a counterpoint to my KTM 690, which is like having your nerve endings wired into the throttle response. Riding it is to be constantly working the bike; with the BSA I want a bike to wrench and enjoy the scenery on*.

*and also possibly the female company, the 690 is like a big orange cockblocking machine.

;-* "You'll have to take me for a ride on your motorbike"
:) "yeah, I'm sure I put the footpegs somewhere. Do you have some padded trousers and a tight grip?"

You just need to find a girl who's...wired...the right way. Vibey single, ya know.

And a well set up flatslide shouldn't be snatchy or harsh either...but I don't know if I have the most reasonable expectation of what "throttle response" should be like. I like that instant response on all of my bikes, regardless of their intended purpose, it's a throttle, it should respond when you twist it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

And when I have money to buy one, and more importantly time to spend loving with it, I'll try a flatslide. But until then, the standard Amal carbs are the known quantity, the bantam/amal combo is so ubiquitous that most dealers can set them up near enough dead-on for you.

Yeah, that's what I'd do, honestly. There's nothing I hate more than tuning carbs, the SV and the DRZ just have the advantage of having known setups so they're essentially plug and play.

You should post a thread about your bike :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

For 300$ I'd buy it even though it's a guzzi ;)

What's wrong with it?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Do you have a different battery you can try?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Crayvex posted:

I double checked the voltage 12.6 with the key off and it drops to like nothing with the key on. Took the battery to Batteries Plus. It's a little low and they want to charge it for me. I'll take a look at the wiring while I wait for it be charged.

Sounds like your battery might have an internal short, or you could have a break in the wiring harness. Can you jump it off of a car battery without the battery installed?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd get it running first and see where to go from there...the only big failure in those bikes is the stator, which requires some work to get out.

And yes, someone made that a hardtail for some retarded reason. Luckily, you should just be able to bolt up a set of shocks and be good to go, those bikes handle poorly enough without putting a drat hardtail on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You'll also hear a clicking noise when you hit the starter, sometimes rapidly, if the battery is dying or dead.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Edit: Whoops, misread things.

Completely closed off the A/F screws? Interesting, haven't heard that one before.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd be interested in a site for cheap bars too. Just replied to your PM, sorry man, but I hope you got it for 200$. If it's a runner for 300$, though, that's still fine, those engines are bulletproof with the exception of the stator issues.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AnnoyBot posted:

I had drag bars on my XJ650 Seca for years, and I recently swapped on a set of clubmans. I definitely like the clubmans better, though if I ever really get the loving carbs sorted out such that it's fully usable I'll probably put superbike or daytona bars on.

I think drag bars are the most brutal because they have [almost] no bend to accommodate your wrists at all. The clubmans, despite being low and forward, do have some rake and don't hurt me after 20 minutes.

I've got the reverse problem...the amount of rake on a clubman bar causes instant pain. The nearly straight on of mildly bent dirt bike bars or drag bars is perfect for me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

:argh:

Nice score, if that thing is anything like the CB200 we have, it'll fire right up and go forever.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Carbonate posted:

1974 CB550. Just put the bars, new mirrors and the fairing on it. I'm planning on painting it this winter, but I don't really know what colour yet...

Also it only has 8600 miles on it! Wicked fun...

It is already the best color, don't you dare repaint that!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Unless, of course, the idle was dropping for other reasons and needed to be turned up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

EvilCrayon posted:

Picked up a 1978 Honda XL 350 with 7923 miles for $1000 flat. Previous owner offered me some extra parts including a mint gas tank in the same colour for $100 but I couldn't carry it back with me on the bike so I told him some other time.

The previous owner replaced all the gaskets and seals, tore down the engine and rebuilt it 2 years ago. He went through the brakes, carburetor, and replaced the chain and tires. He also rebuilt the forks and shocks and replaced the seals in both. However, he only rode it a couple times here and there for a year before letting it sit in his garage. He charged the battery for 2 hours, emptied the old gas and put in fresh gas. It started up on second kick and sounds beautiful.

Now the problem, since it wasn't charged for very long, the lights were very dim and I only made it halfway home (about 30 miles) before the battery gave out. My friend towed it home for me. It's on the charger now and it'll probably be a day before it's fully recharged.

So, did I buy a piece of crap and what's the next step in making this reliable?

You need to check the stator and see if it's up to spec, I doubt that it will be.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sounds like a charging system issue or a bad battery. Get the battery tested first and we can go from there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You can get all kinds of weird behavior with a battery that's low or failing, that's why it's so important to test it and make sure it's good before you move on to anything else.

The rattling that goes away when you pull in the clutch sounds like a worn clutch basket or bearing. Once you load it up it stops rattling.

If your battery was dead after a long ride, chances are you have a problem with the charging system. Get the battery fully charged, and then tell us the voltage at the battery when you start it and rev it to 3k or 1/3rd of total RPM, whatever is higher.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I can also vouch for the CS trials tires. They wear relatively quickly but they are cheap as hell and sticky enough that I could drag pegs on my friends klx650 on the road.

Edit: They're on the cb200 in my avatar too.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 5, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

I'd like to see the un-cropped version of that picture sometime...

Ask and ye shall receive...

The righteous steed in all it's glory:

Also crappy video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYqyzYhydPk

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

n8r posted:

You'll be lucky to get >25mpg out of any RD and that puts the range at about 65 miles given the teeny tank they have. They are generally reliable enough, except when you're waiting for some hippy to send you a new regulator.

My friend has a very nicely set up one that gets around 50mpg. He can do 100 miles on his no problem. He's also the original owner of his and has taken very good care of it as well as upgrading the weak spots. If you'd like I can find out what mods he's running on it.

oh wait

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

How's the battery voltage?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you haven't run wire through your jets, your carbs aren't clean.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Is the right side plug wet?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

No

I guess it is confusing to me because it seems that the right plug is producing some spark, but not correctly. It often backfires on the right side. but yet the rpm level is unchanged when you disconnect the right side plug or spray directly in the right carb.

Do you have fuel in the right side float bowl? Because it sounds like you're not getting enough fuel. Although it should fire with the spray down the throat. The valves actuate when you turn the engine over by hand?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Manometer should be used as a fine tune at idle, trying to tune it with the throttle open won't do you much good.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They're called primary chains.

And is there any other way?
I'm pretty sure most all older hondas are like this.

Most modern bikes drive the tranny with a gear, not a chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Also, is there fresh gas in there? Nothing like a bit of bad gas to cause weird issues.

• Locked thread