Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Lord Krangdar posted:

I thought the killer was always meant to be Leland, but then the BOB stuff came about when Lynch was asked to add a closed ending for the international version of the pilot and he liked the look of one of the grips on the set (who became BOB). I could be wrong, though.

Frank Silva was a set decorator, and was moving furniture in Laura's room at the location in Washington while the pilot was being filmed. Someone was warning him to not move the furniture in a way that would block him from exiting, something along the lines of, "Frank, don't lock yourself in there!" David Lynch overheard this and imagined him locked in Laura's room, and he saw a picture in his mind of Silva at the foot of Laura's bed. Lynch ran over and asked him if he happened to be a union actor. Silva said yes, and so they very quickly filmed a shot panning across Laura's room with Silva at the bed, without any idea how it could be used. (This is the shot that is in the international, "closed" version of the pilot, not the shot that was used in the series. That was shot on a set.)

Then, later, when they were shooting Sarah having the vision of Jacoby's hand picking up the necklace and screaming, Lynch said "Perfect!" But Ron Garcia, the DP, said, no, they had to do it again because you could see Frank Silva in the mirror. Lynch loved that even more, and that's when he started thinking about BOB and used him for the "closed" ending, and later, the series.

Lynch and Frost both say they know who the killer was while they were writing the pilot, but I've heard others dispute this, and say it's the same false "master plan" retconning like Lucas claiming he had everything mapped out for all the Star Wars films from the beginning. They definitely knew/decided before they started mapping out the second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lord Krangdar posted:

Anybody know is there any particular reason or story behind there being both a BOB and a Bobby, and two Mikes?

A little while ago, I was talking to someone about how you rarely, outside of like Arrested Development and Newhart, get multiple characters with the same name. I appreciate that it's happened here, pretty much twice. :colbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean usually if you have multiple characters in a piece of fiction with the same name, it's part of a gag or a plot point; it's hardly ever just done without calling attention to it one way or another. It's one of those things that would make something too realistic to make sense as fiction.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Data Graham posted:

I mean usually if you have multiple characters in a piece of fiction with the same name, it's part of a gag or a plot point; it's hardly ever just done without calling attention to it one way or another. It's one of those things that would make something too realistic to make sense as fiction.

They do draw attention to it if I remember correctly. It just turns out to be a false lead.

So the coincidence is intentionally a coincidence.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The first thing Harry asks when Cooper mentions them while recounting the dream is "Mike and Bobby??" and Coop just handwaves it away with "No, different Mike and different Bob" and then it's never mentioned again so... Yeah I really don't know.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Lynch also loved duality so sure its just that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rewatching FWWM. This movie would be a lot better if Sheryl Lee could act at all well.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

If any of you have a showing of "David Lynch: The Art Life" going on near you (probably mostly at college and art cinemas), I'd highly recommend it. It is a combination of a Lynch biography, Lynch's art, and how he got started in film. It is probably the closest we'll ever get to Lynch saying what his work is about.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/776473650128117762

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^always loved this. I think there's a video of it somewhere

watching Missing Pieces stuff right now and a lot of this is better than stuff in the actual movie. I can't believe some of these scenes didn't make it in

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 15, 2017

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Yah like the guy above me said, this is basically a transcription of this video, which is seriously one of the best-of-all-time videos about soundtracking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgXLEM8MhJo

edit: replaced the video link with a much higher quality one

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 15, 2017

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
This is on the Blu-Ray special features too.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Escobarbarian posted:

Rewatching FWWM. This movie would be a lot better if Sheryl Lee could act at all well.

is this a joke?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Any chance Naomi Watts is reprising her role from Mulholland Drive in the new Twin Peaks? That would be interesting.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sheryl Lee is like half the reason FWWM works at all.

Slammy posted:

Any chance Naomi Watts is reprising her role from Mulholland Drive in the new Twin Peaks? That would be interesting.
Doesn't seem like the kind of move Lynch would pull but I guess nothing is impossible now we're getting a new Twin Peaks season in a week I mean holy poo poo we're getting new Twin Peaks in a week.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Raxivace posted:

Doesn't seem like the kind of move Lynch would pull but I guess nothing is impossible now we're getting a new Twin Peaks season in a week I mean holy poo poo we're getting new Twin Peaks in a week.

I'm still salty that here in the UK it's only on Sky, which is expensive subscription only. I guess I'm waiting for the Blurays next year...

thetimebefore
Jan 2, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

I'm still salty that here in the UK it's only on Sky, which is expensive subscription only. I guess I'm waiting for the Blurays next year...

Pulling out of lurking to say it'll be available on NowTV, which is like 5 or 6 quid a month, no contract. How I'm watching it!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

Sheryl Lee is like half the reason FWWM works at all.

Yeah she's great in it. I can't understand watching that movie and coming away thinking otherwise.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The scene where she hides and watches Leland coming out of the house and then realizes exactly what's been going on is incredibly well done and raw

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

thetimebefore posted:

Pulling out of lurking to say it'll be available on NowTV, which is like 5 or 6 quid a month, no contract. How I'm watching it!

I will absolutely pay that for TP. Thanks!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i think there are a couple points in FWWM where you could say that sheryl lee is overacting a bit but in typical goon hyperbole that translates to "can't act well at all"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only time I think Sheryl Lee's Laura is a bit "eh" is in that flashback in early Season 1, and even in that scene it can be at least justified as soap opera parody.

It also contrasts well with her FWWM performance. "Raw" is a good word for what she's doing in the movie.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

cis autodrag posted:

is this a joke?

No, he's really that stupid.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The latest in what I can only assume is a very long line of Badalamenti remixes.
https://soundcloud.com/flyinglotus/twin-peaks

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
New stills!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
This thread has been around since 2009 lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'll see you again in 25 pages.

*finger snap*

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That shitposting you like is going to come back into style.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

OldSenileGuy posted:

TAKE ANOTHER LOOK SONNY, ITS GONNA HAPPEN AGAIN

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Raxivace posted:

That shitposting you like is going to come back into style.

Much like the Black Lodge, shitposting is atemporal.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Can't wait to see the next Twin Peaks season in another 25 years where everyone is dead.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

That's a really high total for booze.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

notthegoatseguy posted:

Wouldn't you spend that much on booze if you had to live with what Bob did to your family?

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

notthegoatseguy posted:

She's at a supermarket, so she might also be buying other things in addition to booze.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Two Worlds posted:

She's at a supermarket, so she might also be buying other things in addition to booze.

Perhaps a marble rye ;)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Two Worlds posted:

I wonder where some of the funny cameos on the cast list will be, like Michael Cera. Maybe he's at the cash register in that very scene!

I am so jazzed for this, crazy to think it's on this Sunday!! That teaser had some pretty neo-noir feeling stuff, and looked terrific, I can't wait. Also great that it's 18 episodes, pretty long for a Showtime kind of show.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 17, 2017

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Heavy Metal posted:

I wonder where some of the funny cameos on the cast list will be, like Michael Cera. Maybe he's at the cash register in that very scene!

I can't decide if I'd rather see him play Andy and Lucy's kid, or a role in the latest season of Invitation to Love.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wizard Master posted:

Perhaps a marble rye ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1fUwKMdAI
I literally just rewatched the series last week. How did I not make that connection?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

All of these are extremely my jam. Especially Ben Horne. Can we get some vintage Ben and Jer moments please?

• Locked thread