Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Got the Gold Box set for Xmas, and my wife and I have been powering through it.
Just finished episode 9, the first episode of season 2. After reading this thread, I'm going to go ahead and agree with the people who say it is not good.

The first 8 episodes had a constant element of mystery, often just for mystery's sake: why is that music playing in that scene, why are they talking in those weird voices, why does everyone seem to lead a double life, etc. I watch dramas primarily to puzzle about the mythos, so I found these teases sweet as candy.

But season 2's initial eppy had none of that. Everything made sense in the context of a TV show, except for the stuff that was over-the-line ridiculous. There was no blend between the over-the-top and the mundane. Plus the slapstick routines and jokes were too on-the-nose. It really felt like a totally different show, an actual TV show vs a work of art.

Also, is there going to be any payoff to Donna's character doing a complete 180? She goes from lovetorn good girl to dramatic film noir seductress overnight. Is there a reason for this or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Also, is there going to be any payoff to Donna's character doing a complete 180? She goes from lovetorn good girl to dramatic film noir seductress overnight. Is there a reason for this or what?

Near as I could tell, she's jealous of Maddy and wants to get James' attention. Weirded me out too.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Drunk Nerds posted:

Got the Gold Box set for Xmas, and my wife and I have been powering through it.
Just finished episode 9, the first episode of season 2. After reading this thread, I'm going to go ahead and agree with the people who say it is not good.

The first 8 episodes had a constant element of mystery, often just for mystery's sake: why is that music playing in that scene, why are they talking in those weird voices, why does everyone seem to lead a double life, etc. I watch dramas primarily to puzzle about the mythos, so I found these teases sweet as candy.

But season 2's initial eppy had none of that. Everything made sense in the context of a TV show, except for the stuff that was over-the-line ridiculous. There was no blend between the over-the-top and the mundane. Plus the slapstick routines and jokes were too on-the-nose. It really felt like a totally different show, an actual TV show vs a work of art.

Uhm, I'm pretty sure nobody here has a problem with the start of season 2? Honestly, if the first half first nine episodes of season 2 already pisses you off, you should just stop watching now, 'cause the things you've mentioned won't change, and there's some actually lovely stuff coming up.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

DominoDancing posted:

Uhm, I'm pretty sure nobody here has a problem with the start of season 2? Honestly, if the first half first nine episodes of season 2 already pisses you off, you should just stop watching now, 'cause the things you've mentioned won't change, and there's some actually lovely stuff coming up.
Yeah, in fact that last page was people (well, me and one or two others) talking about how great the first few episodes of season 2 are.

Drunk Nerds posted:

She's wearing Laura's glasses. Granted, this never really went anywhere, but Lynch also left shortly thereafter. You can tell he was going somewhere with Laura's clothing/items, cause it's in the movie too

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Drunk Nerds posted:

I thought it was something to do with some sort of negative force that made Laura do the awful second life stuff, possibly spread by Laura's sunglasses which she borrowed. Later on the series, Leland sees her with the sunglasses on, and reacts very strangely to them. Not sure if it's a red herring or something though.

I'm thinking of rewatching the series, even though I only finished it a month ago. I still think there's stuff I've missed, and I'd like to see if some of the more peculiar stuff actually makes sense with knowledge of the entire series. I also want to check if the first scene with Bobby, Shelly and the German girl in the diner is exactly the same as the last scene with Bobby, Shelly and the German girl; or if it's just very similar.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Gatekeeper posted:

I do like the picture (although Pitt just can't capture that same intensity in Jack Nance's eyes that made Henry so captivating for such a mild-mannered character), but something I've been wondering ever since I've seen it - why do people keep mentioning Peter Lorre in relation to this picture? And since the photo series is called "Touch of Evil" and features celebrities as classic film villains, how does Henry from Eraserhead fit into that exactly?

Still, seeing Pitt do Henry really makes me miss Jack Nance, he was such an awesome actor.

Pitt said that he was basically doing "Peter Lorre as Kramer as Eraserhead" and that Peter Lorre was his favorite film antihero.

Man, Brad Pitt says some really cool stuff sometimes.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

My state is pretty cool.

I couldn't get the link to zoom in but if you do you can see there's two Lodge Lanes. One's a dead end.

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
Got the Gold Box for Hanukkah, I am in love with the series. I am on episode 10, and I am really surprised on how much I am enjoying it. I can't wait to read through this thread after I am done with the show, which should be soon, considering the rate that I am watching them.

Also Eraserhead is perhaps one of the greatest films I have ever seen.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I'm watching through for the first time. I'm pretty confused about what's going to happen after S2E8 or whichever one it is where Leland dies, and the killer is revealed. Does the show remain as good after this? I've noticed David Lynch isn't directing as often.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

big business sloth posted:

I'm watching through for the first time. I'm pretty confused about what's going to happen after S2E8 or whichever one it is where Leland dies, and the killer is revealed. Does the show remain as good after this? I've noticed David Lynch isn't directing as often.

No, almost everyone in this thread will agree the show devolves after that point, when Lynch had left to direct Wild At Heart. There are still some good parts (Denise!), but until Lynch returns to write and direct the unforgettable finale, you'll see a lot of stuff ranging from boring (anything with Josie) to just plain awful (anything with James).

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
Just found this thread and thought I might chime in. I'm rewatching it right now and I'm nearly at the end, only two episodes to go, but for the life of me I can't remember whats going to happen next.

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

I thought it was something to do with some sort of negative force that made Laura do the awful second life stuff, possibly spread by Laura's sunglasses which she borrowed. Later on the series, Leland sees her with the sunglasses on, and reacts very strangely to them. Not sure if it's a red herring or something though.
In regards to the above and the Lynch movie Mulholland Drive: (Probably contains major plot spoilers on a few events before the final two episodes) I'm basing this not fully completed/functioning idea on a long ago viewing of Mulholland Drive, which, if I recall correctly, was originally conceived as a pilot for a TV show. There's a lot of character mirroring and fragmentation going on, essentially, the movie makes more 'sense' (this is reductive, but nevertheless) if you let go of the classic cinematic idea that the actors are portraying the same character at all times.

While it's not the same with Twin Peaks, I do see Donna's mental mirroring of Laura as more than just an attempt to get closer to James, who is attracted to Maddy for the same reasons Leland is attracted to her, because Maddy mirrors Laura physically. The whole thing could maybe be read as a meta reference: Almost every episode ends with a picture of Laura, which serves as a reminder to the viewer (at least to me) that Laura is the main character of the show. Her death is the reason the characters exists and continue to exist on screen, with her gone (her murder solved) the series ends and the characters disappear. The resurfacing and reappearance of Laura's personality traits, personal items, etc. is a way for the characters to go on existing.

This also ties in with your theory: If Donna as a character does mirror Laura in an attempt to get James away from the past (ie Maddy as Laura), the mirroring could be read as the psychodramatic technique known as mirroring, wherein a person in a group portrays a patient and exaggerates certain aspects of the patients behavior, which in turn allows the patient to see themselves through the eyes of others and thereby confront certain personality traits in themselves. By portraying and mirroring the hidden side of Laura for James, Donna allows James a glimpse of The Other Laura, shattering his love for his memory Laura and thereby also for Maddy. Tying this with the above meta weirdness would explain why James leaves Twin Peaks, he slowly becomes aware of his situation as a character in existence purely because of Laura, but because he can no longer sustain his positive memories of her, he leaves not only Twin Peaks but also Twin Peaks.

I might have gone off on a tangent there, but what I really adore about Twin Peaks is that it makes you think. The plot is not as fragmented and confusing as some of Lynchs other stuff, but like the rest of Lynchs works it leaves weirdly shaped ink blots for the viewer to read and connect by themselves.

By the way, does anyone else love all the spoiler tags in this whole thread? All those words shrouded in darkness somehow seems very fitting!

edit: In retrospect, the above might simply be a way for me to make James interesting :)

prinneh fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 7, 2012

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hey somebody said a while back that Twin Peaks and Lost Highway take place in the same universe? How so? (Lost Highway spoilers)The mystery man is a creature from the black lodge or something?. Did Lynch ever confirm this? I'm not really seeing it...

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003
I'm slogging my way through the series for the first time and was woefully unprepared for the second season lag. Holy poo poo is this terrible.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As long as you know you must get through it for the awesome ending. Just skip all the poo poo that doesn't have Agent Cooper.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Yeah I've been watching it while doing something else to get through the James stuff, which you weren't kidding about. Still some good parts though, can't wait to see what this amazing finale you're all on about contains.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Don't go into the finale with like, super-high expectations. It's not that it's the greatest episode ever or anything, but more that it's a return to form for the show. Lynch comes back to direct it, so it has that unique quality and flair (not to mention visual style) that Lynch always brings to the table. Unlike the preceding dozen or so episodes that he wasn't involved in, the finale really feels like Twin Peaks. It also dives right back into the cooler aspects of the mythology and has some pretty fantastic sequences. So there are a lot of things that make it a great episode, but don't really expect it to be an amazingly satisfying finale. Mostly because it was really intended to be a season finale, and not a series finale. Big difference.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Everything between the reveal and the series finale is just so meh. Windom loving Earle. Still, lovely Twin Peaks is loads better than most television.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mookface posted:

Everything between the reveal and the series finale is just so meh. Windom loving Earle. Still, lovely Twin Peaks is loads better than most television.

Except the poo poo with James. He was the worst actor in the show. The stuff with Benjamin was not that bad, just ridiculous.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bobkatt013 posted:

Except the poo poo with James. He was the worst actor in the show. The stuff with Benjamin was not that bad, just ridiculous.

Yeah, he was a forgettable character. Definitely miscast.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

mookface posted:

Yeah, he was a forgettable character. Definitely miscast.

James was a real life Derek Zoolander.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Man, I am dreading the post-Laura Palmer case episodes—I know people are saying it's good until then, but I'm three episodes into Season 2 and it's already slipping further downhill with every episode. I wish half the people set up to die at the end of Season 1 had actually, y'know, died. Nadine wakes up from her coma and thinks she's a high school student? Leo in a coma and Bobby and Shelley trying to commit insurance fraud? This poo poo sucks.

Also how did Audrey even get to One-Eyed Jack's in the first place? Did I miss something? This subplot feels like it should have been resolved two episodes ago, and it's just dragging on, and they're introducing new villains and ugh.

The humor is also getting increasingly obvious and slapstick, and I don't like it. The first scene of the season 2 pilot was a major exception, though—that was unexpectedly hilarious. Not enough to redeem what was overall a dull, glacially paced episode, but still—one of my favorite Twin Peaks moments right there.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 19, 2012

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Bobby's dad the Major almost makes Season 2 worth it. He is the only character who improves in my opinion. Also, I love the line "The owls are not what they seem" and that's in Season 2.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

gohuskies posted:

Bobby's dad the Major almost makes Season 2 worth it. He is the only character who improves in my opinion. Also, I love the line "The owls are not what they seem" and that's in Season 2.

Yeah, the Major is such an unexpectedly fantastic character. I really do love the friendship that develops between him and Cooper. I'm also quite fond of The Giant, to be honest. That opening sequence of the first episode of season 2 is pretty great.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Season 2, Episode 7 absolutely blindsided me by not only being by far the best episode of Season 2 so far, but maybe the best episode of the series. The atmosphere of the Roadhouse scene was that same sort of chilling melancholy as Club Silencio in Mulholland Dr. Maddy's murder was absolutely horrific, and I didn't even feel cheated by having accidentally spoiled myself in regard to the murderer's identity.

I've watched through the resolution of the Laura Palmer storyline now, and I feel... kinda cheated. I feel the supernatural elements are just too out in the open and overexplained now, and Bob is too cartoonishly evil to be frightening when he's not silent. I actively dislike most of the characters outside of Agent Cooper, the old man/Giant, and the cranky forensics guy.

I still plan to keep watching, but I'm not sure anything's keeping me going beyond curiosity regarding how bad this show is going to get.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

Yeah, the Major is such an unexpectedly fantastic character. I really do love the friendship that develops between him and Cooper. I'm also quite fond of The Giant, to be honest. That opening sequence of the first episode of season 2 is pretty great.

In the commentary tracks on the original dvd sets, they talk about how the Major was originally supposed to be this stodgy conservative guy, but Don S. Davis insisted on playing him as a wise man instead, so they just went along with it. Don S. Davis is awesome.

The Major also has one my favorite lines of Season 2: When Wyndom Earlie asks him about his greatest fear, he replies "The possibility that love is not enough." Even his fears are wise :allears:. Some crazy norwegian synthpop band actually made a song about it.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.
I had heard good things about this series and I recently decided to try watching it on Netflix. I sat down one night and watched the pilot and was just blown away; the show completely pulled me into its world and it was quite haunting. I've now watched the rest of season one and the first four episodes of season two, and while I've enjoyed most of the episodes, nothing has really come close at all to the pilot. I'm really into the main plot of the investigation of Laura Palmer's murder, but I don't care for most of the other plots, and my overall interest in the show is really slipping. So my question is, should I try to watch the whole rest of the series, or would I be better served by just watching some key episodes?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

At least watch to the reveal of Laura Palmer's killer, then you can decide if you want to go the rest of the way. It is probably half way through season 2, episode 11 or 12 I think.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It's not even that far. Season 2, Ep. 7 is the reveal, and Ep. 9 concludes the arc. I definitely recommend watching that far, as the strength of the next several episodes to come make the weak stretches of early Season 2 all worthwhile.

Mid-episode 11 was my breaking point. I couldn't finish it—it was just excruciatingly bad. David Duchovney in drag and I didn't even crack a smile. I'm thinking of just trying to pick it up a few episodes from the end so I can maybe enjoy the conclusion, because I will never finish this series otherwise.

James isn't even the worst part, really—he's the one character who sucked from the very beginning, and in a way he's been almost comfortingly consistent. What really sucks that every other character's storyline has gone to poo poo. Leo, Dr. Jacoby, and Nadine actually dying at the end of Season 1 would have made things so much better. They were good characters, they each had complete character arcs, and all they've done since then is hang around and be obnoxious, completely fail to justify their continued existence in the plot, and drag other characters down with them.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 4, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
It's drat near unanimous that the series gets BAD after the Laura Palmer storyline concludes. Life is short, and you have some really crummy storylines to slog through, but the series finale is pretty awesome if you can make it that far. Actually, if you're dead-set on skipping stuff, I might watch one episode before the finale, just to get caught up on the status quo with Windom Earle and everything else... but most of us stuck it out, and you might end up happy that you did.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It's drat near unanimous that the series gets BAD after the Laura Palmer storyline concludes. Life is short, and you have some really crummy storylines to slog through, but the series finale is pretty awesome if you can make it that far. Actually, if you're dead-set on skipping stuff, I might watch one episode before the finale, just to get caught up on the status quo with Windom Earle and everything else... but most of us stuck it out, and you might end up happy that you did.

Yeah, I started watching Twin Peaks back in September, I still have four episode left.
I was chugging right along up until Laura's murder was solved. With every new potline and my interest petered out a bit more. (Though David Duchovny's role was fantastic)
If it really is worth finishing, I might try to do so this weekend.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

AASman posted:

Hey somebody said a while back that Twin Peaks and Lost Highway take place in the same universe? How so? (Lost Highway spoilers)The mystery man is a creature from the black lodge or something?. Did Lynch ever confirm this? I'm not really seeing it...

It's something Lynch said at some point, but I don't think there's anything in the movie itself that would suggest it. He's also said that Mulholland Drive was supposed to be about Audrey leaving Twin Peaks and going to Hollywood to become an actress, but the studio wouldn't let him cast the actor because she was too old--although I can't fin a source for that information at the moment, so take it with a grain of salt.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Rollersnake posted:

and the cranky forensics guy.

Albert is so wonderful and he's such a perfect complement to Cooper-- so fundamentally different but still driven by the same dedication to love and kindness. The moment where he explains that he's a devout follower of nonviolence and self-sacrifice is one of my top 5 scenes in the series.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

No, almost everyone in this thread will agree the show devolves after that point, when Lynch had left to direct Wild At Heart.

I'm sure it's been explained somewhere, but I'm a little confused about the timeline here. Lynch "left the show" to work on another project, and yet Gordon Cole pops up in a few episodes after the Big Reveal. If he was present on-set, why couldn't they have at least gotten him to do some consulting on the script or direction?

But then I suppose just being on set doesn't mean that he had the time to go over the details of production. They might've just had him for a day or two and shot all of his scenes at once before he took off.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The last part of Season 2, Episode 12 was surprisingly good. Nothing of consequence really happened beyond the Major's return, but it was drat atmospheric. It's the only bit since the resolution of the Laura Palmer arc that I've actually enjoyed rather than endured.

And now Jean Renault is dead in a nonsensical and anticlimactic conclusion to a dumb loving arc that never should've happened to begin with. I don't even have anything to say about it. I felt nothing. I thought I hated the One-Eyed Jack's storyline before, but I can't believe it dragged on into something this overwhelmingly pointless.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

It's something Lynch said at some point, but I don't think there's anything in the movie itself that would suggest it. He's also said that Mulholland Drive was supposed to be about Audrey leaving Twin Peaks and going to Hollywood to become an actress, but the studio wouldn't let him cast the actor because she was too old--although I can't fin a source for that information at the moment, so take it with a grain of salt.

I think it's based on what would have happened to her in season 3 had it happened.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Just watched it for the first time on Netflix. God that dip in the second season is terrible. Glad it recovers after that, but drat, James is just the worst. Him and Donna out live their usefulness after Leland dies

Is fire walk with me worth watching?

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Is fire walk with me worth watching?

Yeah. The actress they recast Donna with isn't awful (though she doesn't really fit in with the other "Lynch Ladies"), and the overall mood of the film is much more Lynchian than the majority of the series. There's more explicit stuff than could have flown in a TV series back then (lots of titties).

Also, the opening bit with Cooper and David Bowie is interesting. Seemingly inconsequential, but it sets up a lot about the world Cooper was navigating even before he went to Twin Peaks.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

pill for your ills posted:

Also, the opening bit with Cooper and David Bowie is interesting. Seemingly inconsequential, but it sets up a lot about the world Cooper was navigating even before he went to Twin Peaks.

I loved the beginning of Fire Walk With Me, with Chris Isaak and Kiefer Sutherland making their way through the bizarro Twin Peaks -- an ugly town with a nasty sheriff, a dirty diner with horrible food and ugly waitresses. The David Bowie sequence blew my mind -- it gave you just enough background information to whet your appetite, but it raised even more questions than it answered, and left you on a cliffhanger.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Man, gently caress the ending to this show.
How could they kill Pete? I love Pete. :(
It was funny how they left things hanging with Leo though. :v:
But seriously that was terrible. All of it.
I'm just going to pretend the show ends when they solve Laura's murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

wyoming posted:

Man, gently caress the ending to this show.
How could they kill Pete? I love Pete. :(
It was funny how they left things hanging with Leo though. :v:
But seriously that was terrible. All of it.
I'm just going to pretend the show ends when they solve Laura's murder.

How can you say that the finale was terrible. You have to ignore something since it was meant as a season finale not a series finale.

• Locked thread