Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SimonChris posted:

In the commentary tracks on the original dvd sets, they talk about how the Major was originally supposed to be this stodgy conservative guy, but Don S. Davis insisted on playing him as a wise man instead, so they just went along with it. Don S. Davis is awesome.

The Major also has one my favorite lines of Season 2: When Wyndom Earlie asks him about his greatest fear, he replies "The possibility that love is not enough." Even his fears are wise :allears:. Some crazy norwegian synthpop band actually made a song about it.

That line from season 2 and Rosenfeld's line to Sheriff Truman when they're ready to square off again are two of my absolute favorite moments of this show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS2zU6YPl24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I love what Cooper says after he's been shot -- "All things considered, being shot is not as bad as I always thought it might be…as long as you can keep the fear from your mind. I guess you could say that about most anything in life. It's not so bad, as long as you can keep the fear from your mind..."

It's simple, but I find myself remembering that message from time to time, and it does work to comfort you.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rabbit Hill posted:

I love what Cooper says after he's been shot -- "All things considered, being shot is not as bad as I always thought it might be…as long as you can keep the fear from your mind. I guess you could say that about most anything in life. It's not so bad, as long as you can keep the fear from your mind..."

It's simple, but I find myself remembering that message from time to time, and it does work to comfort you.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Rabbit Hill posted:

If only he could have kept the fear from his mind when he was in the black lodge.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So I started watching this on Netflix ever since I heard a few goons talk about how good it was. I'm on Season 2 Episode 6, and I must say, this is probably the weirdest loving show I've ever seen.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
In a good way, I hope? Because I've seen much weirder stuff on Adult Swim, but hated it.

I just noticed the entire first season of The Killing is available on my cable On Demand package, for free. The central premise sounds similar to Twin Peaks, and I heard it started out solid but alienated fans by the end. I'm curious about giving it a chance. Any thoughts?

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.
So I was in Charlotte, NC the other week and this strip club was around the corner from my hotel:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Triumphant posted:

So I was in Charlotte, NC the other week and this strip club was around the corner from my hotel:

Needs to have at least one eyed jack

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I heard the individual box sets are showing up in closeout places like Big Lots for $6. Any reason to buy them if you have the gold box?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ElwoodCuse posted:

I heard the individual box sets are showing up in closeout places like Big Lots for $6. Any reason to buy them if you have the gold box?

Not really. Season one does not even have the pilot.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Are there any interesting features that don't appear anywhere else? Commentaries or something?

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

Pretty sure the gold box the the definitive set.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

In a good way, I hope? Because I've seen much weirder stuff on Adult Swim, but hated it.

I just noticed the entire first season of The Killing is available on my cable On Demand package, for free. The central premise sounds similar to Twin Peaks, and I heard it started out solid but alienated fans by the end. I'm curious about giving it a chance. Any thoughts?

The Killing is godawful do not watch it.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah for the love of god NOBODY should ever watch The Killing under any circumstances. It was such a godawful piece of horrendous crap. It is easily the worst television program that I ever bothered to watch an entire season of. And the fact that when you're watching The Killing, you want to keep going if only to get some satisfaction out of the show only to find that there is NO satisfaction being offered in any way whatsoever by the end of the season is part of what makes it so insidiously frustratingly horrifically awful. In addition to it being poorly written, poorly acted (with the exception of one single character), and shot in the most drab and boring possible cinematography.

Ironically, the best modern Twin Peaks imitation I've probably seen lately was a short-lived mid-season replacement network show called Happy Town, that actually managed to capture some of the weird quirky supernatural mystery of Twin Peaks (albeit in a mostly superficial way). And it's quite the injustice, because Happy Town was canceled midway through its first season after like 8 episodes, whereas a piece of poo poo like The Killing actually got somehow renewed for a second season through what must have been some dark deal with the devil.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just started to watch this show, and am up to episode 103. It's a great show, but it's very difficult for me to watch for extended periods of time. It just makes really incredibly uneasy and uncomfortable if I watch it for longer than an episode at a time.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Occupation posted:

I just started to watch this show, and am up to episode 103. It's a great show, but it's very difficult for me to watch for extended periods of time. It just makes really incredibly uneasy and uncomfortable if I watch it for longer than an episode at a time.

Yep. That's my favorite part, builds up to the freakout moments.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Occupation posted:

That's everything David Lynch has ever made.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yeah after watching Twin Peaks I decided to watch Eraserhead and :stonk:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah I've seen Mulholland Drive before...I dunno, I guess I expected it to be a bit more...enticing due to format? I mean a movie's a fixed experience, but with a tv show you need a constant audience...I'm not unhappy, just wasn't expecting it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

wyoming posted:

Man, gently caress the ending to this show.
How could they kill Pete? I love Pete. :(
It was funny how they left things hanging with Leo though. :v:
But seriously that was terrible. All of it.
I'm just going to pretend the show ends when they solve Laura's murder.

How can you hate the finale? I mean, yeah gently caress it for any number of reasons, but what a loving finale!

It has my favorite scene from the entire series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EluslqfAnzo
So innocuous on the one hand, but so surreal. The perfect greeting to the Black Lodge's complete forgoing of logic and refusal to be understood in terms of the rules of the real world. Awesomely creepy and effective.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I went to a horror movie convention today and was able to meet Sherilyn Fenn today which was pretty awesome.

Was able to snag a pretty cool picture of Agent Cooper and Audry having a cup of coffee that is definitely going on the wall.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

She's gotta be what... 45 or 50 by now? She looks pretty drat good. I think I saw her on an episode of House a few years back and had the same reaction.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Or Gilmore Girls (Madchen Amick was on this too), or Psych. But yeah, very cool.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Cross-posting some Twin Peaks art from a thread in PYF. There was an exhibit for the 20th anniversary of Fire Walk With Me recently, including some of the stuff below. Check out this page for more info in it.

el oso posted:

Some Twin Peaks pieces from recent exhibits:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shelly Johnson was on Mad Men a couple of weeks ago, and she was still looking pretty good.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I need to watch this again after having gone through Big Love on HBO Go. Grace Zabriskie was awesome as Bill Henrickson's psycho mom Lois.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

el oso posted:

Cross-posting some Twin Peaks art from a thread in PYF. There was an exhibit for the 20th anniversary of Fire Walk With Me recently, including some of the stuff below. Check out this page for more info in it.

Some of those are awesome. I really wish I had some cool twin peaks artwork or prints.

cemaphonic
Jan 1, 2011
I just stumbled upon a few youtube clips of this show (The Black Lodge bits from the finale and Maddy's death) and was reminded how powerfully awesome it was at its best. I saw it in its original run while I was in high school, but haven't seen it since I binged through show about 10 years ago, so it might be time to give it another go. Especially since I've seen Blue Velvet, Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive and The Straight Story in the meantime.

I grew up about 20 minutes away from the North Bend/Snoqualmie area where the establishing shots (the waterfall, hotel, mountains, some storefronts) and some of the outdoor shooting was done, but when the show aired, I was living on the East Coast, so part of the appeal of the show for me was a bit of nostalgia/homesickness, and I loved that the show's Pacific Northwest setting came through even in such details as Cooper's name.

Since it's fresh in my mind, Maddy's death was just stunning. Normally violent scenes on TV are either fairly sanitized, or run to the other extreme of being gruesome, but a bit cartoonish and silly. Either way, it's a bit distancing, and when a pretty girl is involved, there's usually this layer of lurid titillation to boot. But Lynch starts ratcheting up the dread from the very beginning (how he can make doorframes menacing is a mystery, but he even does it in The Straight Story), and from the moment Maddy appears, it's just relentlessly brutal and terrifying, to the point that her death becomes a relief. Leland/Bob even cracks wise at the end without deflating the tension. On top of that, this scene cements that at the heart of this quirky show with its adorably mannered characters lies an utterly hideous and repulsive scenario of the worst sort of domestic violence. Powerful stuff, even if the show fell apart almost immediately afterwards.

And yes, for you youngins, Twin Peaks was huge in 1990, but burned out pretty quickly. Part of the reason for the networks pushing up the murder reveal was that the public mania for all things Twin Peaks disappeared over the season break, and the networks wanted a big event to hype to try to drum up all the early excitement.

Edit: oh right, spoilery stuff. Sometimes hard to remember for such an old show and cultural touchstone. Apologies.

cemaphonic fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 5, 2012

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I think at least half of that post should be spoiler-tagged. Yikes.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
I really liked the movie, but I think watching it immediately after the show made it better than it would have been a year later.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

cemaphonic posted:

And yes, for you youngins, Twin Peaks was huge in 1990, but burned out pretty quickly. Part of the reason for the networks pushing up the murder reveal was that the public mania for all things Twin Peaks disappeared over the season break, and the networks wanted a big event to hype to try to drum up all the early excitement.

Yeah, I remember, over the years I had only caught a couple episodes here and there and now that I've just finished watching S2 E1 on Netflix, it definitely makes more sense (in a David Lynch way) than I remember.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I love when this thread gets a new post.

I just watched Inland Empire by David Lynch, it had a lot of the same themes as Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive. It was definitely the most difficult to grasp of his films. Non-linear is an understatement. It has Grace Zabriskie (Sarah Palmer) in it, and is truly horrifying. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a hardcore Lynch fan. It took me 5 tries before I could get through the whole thing (3 hour run time), and was so confusing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Inland Empire, for me, is a rollercoaster ride. I don't really try and make sense of anything about it, and I don't even know if there is a valid interpretation at all, but when I sit back and let the tone and mood wash over me it's an absolutely amazing experience. I wish Lynch would make more films.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm a Lynch fan (although I prefer his more linear narratives like Twin Peaks), and it took me at least three attempts to make it through Inland Empire, back when it was streaming on Netflix. It's just an exhausting, draining experience, and a very unsettling one as well -- even by his standards. I think a Goon in a past thread compared it to being trapped in someone else's nonsensical nightmare, and that was a solid description.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

The Triumphant posted:

Albert is so wonderful and he's such a perfect complement to Cooper-- so fundamentally different but still driven by the same dedication to love and kindness. The moment where he explains that he's a devout follower of nonviolence and self-sacrifice is one of my top 5 scenes in the series.

He's definitely my favorite character. I think one of my favorite scenes is the one where they're at the hospital and Nadine's husband explains how she lost her eye and they got together. It's this bizarre story and the whole time Albert has the perfect WTF look on his face.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Dr_Amazing posted:

He's definitely my favorite character. I think one of my favorite scenes is the one where they're at the hospital and Nadine's husband explains how she lost her eye and they got together. It's this bizarre story and the whole time Albert has the perfect WTF look on his face.

Harry has to take him away from because Albert can't stop laughing :lol:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Needs to have at least one eyed jack

There's a One Eyed Jack's near my apartment in LA on Beverly and Heliotrope, but it's super sketchy, I'm worried if I go in to get a drink, I may end up in the black lodge. :ohdear:

e: crap, didn't realize that pic would break tables and I can't thumbnail it since I attached it to my post. Sorry!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 27, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^ You may want to thumbnail that, since it breaks tables.

Apparently there is a chain of "breastaurants" -- a Hooters type chain -- that is called Twin Peaks. Obviously, the Twin Peaks referring to breasts. Just read about that today.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

escape artist posted:

^^ You may want to thumbnail that, since it breaks tables.

Apparently there is a chain of "breastaurants" -- a Hooters type chain -- that is called Twin Peaks. Obviously, the Twin Peaks referring to breasts. Just read about that today.

There's a few of those in my town. Whenever I bring up the show to anyone that hasn't heard of it, they always say "Wait, does it have anything to do with the Hooters rip-off?" :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

escape artist posted:

They opened one of those here last year, haven't been yet. It is essentially Texas Hooters from what I understand.

I do miss living in Seattle and going out to North Bend and seeing Twin Peaks locations on occasion. :smith:

• Locked thread