Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Man, I am dreading the post-Laura Palmer case episodes—I know people are saying it's good until then, but I'm three episodes into Season 2 and it's already slipping further downhill with every episode. I wish half the people set up to die at the end of Season 1 had actually, y'know, died. Nadine wakes up from her coma and thinks she's a high school student? Leo in a coma and Bobby and Shelley trying to commit insurance fraud? This poo poo sucks.

Also how did Audrey even get to One-Eyed Jack's in the first place? Did I miss something? This subplot feels like it should have been resolved two episodes ago, and it's just dragging on, and they're introducing new villains and ugh.

The humor is also getting increasingly obvious and slapstick, and I don't like it. The first scene of the season 2 pilot was a major exception, though—that was unexpectedly hilarious. Not enough to redeem what was overall a dull, glacially paced episode, but still—one of my favorite Twin Peaks moments right there.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Season 2, Episode 7 absolutely blindsided me by not only being by far the best episode of Season 2 so far, but maybe the best episode of the series. The atmosphere of the Roadhouse scene was that same sort of chilling melancholy as Club Silencio in Mulholland Dr. Maddy's murder was absolutely horrific, and I didn't even feel cheated by having accidentally spoiled myself in regard to the murderer's identity.

I've watched through the resolution of the Laura Palmer storyline now, and I feel... kinda cheated. I feel the supernatural elements are just too out in the open and overexplained now, and Bob is too cartoonishly evil to be frightening when he's not silent. I actively dislike most of the characters outside of Agent Cooper, the old man/Giant, and the cranky forensics guy.

I still plan to keep watching, but I'm not sure anything's keeping me going beyond curiosity regarding how bad this show is going to get.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It's not even that far. Season 2, Ep. 7 is the reveal, and Ep. 9 concludes the arc. I definitely recommend watching that far, as the strength of the next several episodes to come make the weak stretches of early Season 2 all worthwhile.

Mid-episode 11 was my breaking point. I couldn't finish it—it was just excruciatingly bad. David Duchovney in drag and I didn't even crack a smile. I'm thinking of just trying to pick it up a few episodes from the end so I can maybe enjoy the conclusion, because I will never finish this series otherwise.

James isn't even the worst part, really—he's the one character who sucked from the very beginning, and in a way he's been almost comfortingly consistent. What really sucks that every other character's storyline has gone to poo poo. Leo, Dr. Jacoby, and Nadine actually dying at the end of Season 1 would have made things so much better. They were good characters, they each had complete character arcs, and all they've done since then is hang around and be obnoxious, completely fail to justify their continued existence in the plot, and drag other characters down with them.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 4, 2012

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The last part of Season 2, Episode 12 was surprisingly good. Nothing of consequence really happened beyond the Major's return, but it was drat atmospheric. It's the only bit since the resolution of the Laura Palmer arc that I've actually enjoyed rather than endured.

And now Jean Renault is dead in a nonsensical and anticlimactic conclusion to a dumb loving arc that never should've happened to begin with. I don't even have anything to say about it. I felt nothing. I thought I hated the One-Eyed Jack's storyline before, but I can't believe it dragged on into something this overwhelmingly pointless.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I think at least half of that post should be spoiler-tagged. Yikes.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

escape artist posted:

I really don't know. Definitely a weird and generally uninteresting character, but I guess she has to exist, and be sort of fragile and unstable, for the romance between Norma and Big Ed to have some drama to it.

I actually really liked Nadine in Season 1, but her arc in Season 2 was mind-numbingly dumb. Every scene with her was unbearable. Still slightly less unbearable than Andy and his sperms, but they definitely should have left her dead at the end of Season 1, and maybe Leo as well.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I should probably try to go back and finish Season 2 now. It's been like over two years since I burned out relatively early in the Bad Episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Are the cut scenes arranged in any coherent fashion like a film, or is it just a collection of deleted scenes?

• Locked thread