Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

I may be new to TFR, but what on earth is the difference between shooting a deer with a semi auto and a bolt action rifle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Nothing?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Insane Totoro posted:

I may be new to TFR, but what on earth is the difference between shooting a deer with a semi auto and a bolt action rifle?

about a $500 fine :downsrim:

(semis are a-ok for hunting in my state as long as they have no more than a 5 round mag :dance:)

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

kuffs posted:

Nothing?

Then why does PA have the law? Is it a NIMBY thing?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Insane Totoro posted:

Perhaps some kind of perceived threat about someone trying to shoot after a running animal.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Insane Totoro posted:

Probably because fudds don't want people magdumping at a deer, scaring off their OMG HUEG 6 point buck that will just get away anyway. :bahgawd:

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!

HotCanadianChick posted:

actually it looks like it says .22 long rifle ctg right there on the barrel :downs:

gently caress if I can see it, I was making an educated guess

I still can't make it out even after you pointed it out

ShaiHulud
Dec 31, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Non-autoloading only.

Autoloading shotguns are fine in PA for turkey, waterfowl, and small game, so magdump away at those critters (3 round capacity limit including one in chamber).

mainmanedgar
Apr 30, 2005

Pipkin posted:

Im a newbie that would be interested. I cant find a way to contact you but my AIM is in my profile or you can email me.

You can PM me or email my sn at gmail.com.

foghorn
Oct 8, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

Hey OP, you should probably include "Headspace" in your glossary.

Headspace: When assessing the chamber of a firearm, the headspace is a measurement of where the section of the chamber that blocks the further forward motion of the cartridge in the chamber is.

Or something like that.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BrainGlitch posted:

gently caress if I can see it, I was making an educated guess

I still can't make it out even after you pointed it out

sounds like either time for a new monitor or new glasses

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I have never owned a gun, but I have went shooting with other people. I find it fun and would like to do more.

However, I'm poor, so I don't need to spend $1000 dollars on a first gun.

Ideally, I would love a bolt action rifle of some kind, very basic and maybe kind of old school? If that makes sense. I really like the rifles of older time, like springfields. Eventually, I'd like to get into a little of everything.

What do you think is good for me, brands etc?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

You could go two directions.

You say you like "rifles of an older time." What do you mean exactly? Do you like any rifle from the original Call of Duty games, or are you somewhat interested in the history surrounding them? If you're legitimately interested in them, and think you might get into collecting, military surplus (milsurp) is a good place to start. You can get a Mosin-Nagant for $90 and surplus ammo to feed it for $0.15/rd, cheaper than most other true rifle calibers. You can get a Mauser-pattern rifle from a wonky nation (Turkish, Yugoslavian, many others) or a Swiss K31 for around $200 (and get a rifle of significantly higher quality than a Mosin), and ammo is just about as cheap if you know where to look. $400-800 gets you into a real K98k, M1 Garand or carbine, "Springfield" (M1903), etc. -- drat fine guns, made relatively inexpensive by the fact that millions of them have been dumped onto the civilian market after being cast off by various militaries around the world. Check out the milsurp megathread to get advice on the latest price ballparks, and what to look for in a rifle.

The other option is the "everybody else" category. Get a .22 rifle. Buy a nice one for $150-400, put some glass on top if you want, and buy enough cheap .22 ammo to shoot until you go blind. Shoot it like crazy. Develop good habits, avoid creating a "flinch" or other bad habits that can be the downfall of option 1, and get really really good at shooting. Then, when you're an awesome shot, step up to bigger rifles. Virtually everyone owns a .22, and even high-falootin' competitive shooters still shoot .22 diligently because it's excellent inexpensive practice.

Those are the two ways you can go. If you have a legitimate interest in the history, you can start down the milsurp road and resign yourself to never having more than $Mauser in your bank account ever again. If you want to shoot, get a .22, get good, and then look for other stuff. Maybe you could blend the two options, if you can free up a small chunk of cash. Also, ask here or take a knowledgeable friend before you buy anything, because the gun world is full of predatory salesmen and retarded fuckwits who will fill you so full of bullshit that you might never recover.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The .22 route sounds good, you were right on about the military surplus. I like the old bolt actions used by the military. I'll probably start with a 22 though just to shoot some cans up or something. I live in Colorado so I can just find some BLM land to do whatever on.

Lukavi
Aug 23, 2006
Place your bets now

So, uh, no one ever really taught me how to properly clean a gun. I kinda just figured that poo poo out on my own but I'd like to clarify some things.

Normally I take it apart after shooting:
revolver= cylinder+barrel
Rifle= full disassembly except removal of bolt, still clean it but the receiver is a tricky fucker so that one gets cleaned on occasion

the barrels and cylinder get Hoppe'd with a long rear end .22 cleaning rod with a attachment that fits a tiny square of cloth. Then run a wire brush attachment gets going down. Then the tiny cloth patch again, but it takes forever to get it to the point where it stops coming out black/gray. then if I do another hoppes it will keep going for almost loving ever, is that normal? Am I supposed to let it soak in after the first hoppes or just rinse/repeat for a long time. final step is general cleaning on non-hole parts like mags and surface parts I can get with towels and Q-tips and a oiled cloth rub down on all metal I can touch.

miss anything or have any advice?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Monkey vs. Banana posted:

have any advice?

two pieces of advice:

1. buy a boresnake

2. thank me later

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

walrusman posted:

(good advice)
Swiss K31
(more good advice)

Emphasizing the K31. They are beautiful guns that will match or outshoot pretty much every other gun of the period and are at the cheap (not Mosin cheap) end of the scale.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

HotCanadianChick posted:

two pieces of advice:

1. buy a boresnake

2. thank me later

This is the best advice. Just this one thing to add; No matter how enticing the aroma of Hoppe's may be, don't drink it. It tastes nowhere near as good as it smells.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

kwantam posted:

Emphasizing the K31. They are beautiful guns that will match or outshoot pretty much every other gun of the period and are at the cheap (not Mosin cheap) end of the scale.

Yeah, a rifle that shoot dollar bills for beginner, great idea :rolleyes:

Sylink, buy a .22

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

AntiTank posted:

Yeah, a rifle that shoot dollar bills for beginner, great idea :rolleyes:

Sylink, buy a .22

Hold on a sec, I wasn't saying not to get a .22. Walrusman's advice was all good, and I support the idea of getting a .22 first. I was just emphasizing that when the time comes, consider the K31. I suppose I was unclear on this.

Anyhow, if you're paying $1 per round you're doing it wrong.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I bought a brand new gun, still in the plastic bag. It's covered in grease/oil. What's the best way to clean it up?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I bought a brand new gun, still in the plastic bag. It's covered in grease/oil. What's the best way to clean it up?

Dip it in AVGAS.

Clean the interior just like you'd clean the gun normally, with a boresnake or cleaning rod, patches, qtips, etc. (edit to add: MAKE drat SURE THE BORE IS CLEAR) Rub the outside with a rag covered in CLP. If that doesn't work, step up to Hoppe's...but be careful, because I think Hoppe's can have a negative impact on some stocks if left to sit.

Steve Jorbs
Jan 1, 2009

Moderate lurker and first time poster:

I live in the Buffalo, New York region (No handgun for me :( ) and want to buy a rifle. I'm 20 years old with no kind of crazy criminal record or special injunction on buying sporting arms. I want to start off with a nice .22 rifle; I've fired my neighbor's bolt action a few times and found it enjoyable. The ammo seems piss cheap too, but are there availability issues? How can I get good deals on ammo?

I've never bought a firearm before so this is a very new experience. The only gun I have is a 12 gauge Remington 870 Express which was a gift from family. I'd like to keep this purchase in the sub $300 range. I don't have the money to install loads of after-market parts (like I see every gun having in the Ruger 10/22 thread) so I'd like something that is decent with stock parts. I'm not sure what brands are good or where to buy them without getting ripped off or something. There are a few large outdoor retailers around here, a local gun shop in my town, and a few pawn shops. New or used? What kind of things do I check for if considering a used gun?

This is just going to be a range gun. I live in a rural area and my neighbor doesn't mind me going back into the forest behind his house to shoot. Bolt action or semi-auto doesn't matter too much, but I do like the feel of pulling back the bolt.

What about scopes? Are they a waste of time for a small starting gun like I plan to get? I don't expect to be some master sniper assassin by adding a scope to a gun. What does a scope of decent quality cost?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

10/22s are perfectly fine little rifles without all the pimping people like to do. The only change I've done to mine is putting on a scope rail and a red dot. You should be able to find one from $150-$250 used or new.

Used is just fine. Look over the stock for any cracks. Look over the metal for cracks, rust, pitting, etc. Look in the chamber. Bring a penlight with you and check the bore. Does it look smooth and shiny? Is the rifling well defined? If you don't see anything wrong with it, go for it.

Ammo is very, very cheap, even the cheap bulk packs that have been "marked up" will run you ~$25 for 500 rounds. There are sometimes availability issues, but just keep your eyes peeled and pick up a bulk pack or two when you see them.

With scopes, for a little rimfire like that, BSA red dots work fine (I got mine for $20 used at a local shop), or even $25 scopes you can get online. Just be aware they won't be terribly tough, terribly clear, and they might not hold their zero very well. I'm happy with what I have, though. It is quite easy to get sucked in to the optics world - you might find yourself being lured towards the $1000 optics to put on your $150 rifle. I'm no expert on optics, and what is available out there, though, so I can't give recommendations based on fact here.

Also consider the Remington 597. Deciding between them should come down to feeling both, if you can find them, then picking the one that you like better. Price shouldn't be a huge deciding factor here, they're in the same general range.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 3, 2009

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Every Remington 597 I've had contact with has been a jam-happy, breakage-fraught nightmare for its owner. Stick to 10/22 or Marlin 60 for semis. The CZ452 is a freaking amazing bolt .22, if you want to go that route.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

walrusman posted:

Every Remington 597 I've had contact with has been a jam-happy, breakage-fraught nightmare for its owner. Stick to 10/22 or Marlin 60 for semis. The CZ452 is a freaking amazing bolt .22, if you want to go that route.

Oh, yeah, I meant the Marlin :downs:

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

My CZ452 is a loving laser, but they're a slight bit out of your price range. Looking at close to $400 depending on the model.

Fenarisk
Oct 26, 2005

Prefacing this stating that I have no knowledge of guns whatsoever.

My fiance's brother recently got accepted into the ROTC program for college, making it to their full ride scholarship so I wanted to help him celebrate. Thing is, he's never shot a gun before, and I thought something neat (especially since he'll be going into the military after college) would be to test out some of the weapons the US military uses.

How would I go about finding a range that would have these sorts of things, or a hands on demo, etc? What is an expected price point for this sort of thing? This would be anywhere within 1 hour of Chicago preferably, although if being in Illinois is an issue we're close enough we could get to the outskirts of Wisconsin/Indiana within an hour as well.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

The closest thing you'll find to what the US armed forces commonly uses is an AR-15, and a Beretta M9. Most everything else is difficult or impossible to get a hold of, due to it being automatic (Actual M4, M249, vehicle mounted MGs) or ludicrously expensive to feed, like an M249 grenade launcher.

Illinois seems to require that you have a FOID before you can go to a range, so it might not be feasible to get time at one of them easily, though I'm sure Illinois goons will know better on this. Another possibility would be going out with a goon that has volunteered, charliebravo77 is in the area. I don't know what he has, but it could be worth checking out.

To find ranges, check out: http://www.wheretoshoot.org/find_range/index.asp

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 3, 2009

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

What are you doing, Julian! The chicken fingers aren’t even cooked! You want us to get sasparilla or something, you dick!

I grew up hunting, and have significant long gun experience, both purchasing and shooting, but far less experience with purchasing handguns. I'm a large-handed guy, and have shot 357 mag and 44 mag without significant recoil issues.

I'm looking for a handgun for home defense and target shooting. I currently have a ghetto 9mm filling this role. Due to space constraints, as well as wanting a handgun to target practice with, I'm not interested in a shotgun for this role (I live in a standalone house, and overpenetration is not much of a concern). The research I've done has led me to the 10mm as being the caliber of choice.

I haven't shot glocks before, but don't have anything against them inherently. Any model recommendations? Ammo recs? (preferably full power loads, not the fbi loads). From what I've read, the 175g silvertip has the best ballistic performance, but I'm interested in what you all have found to be the best. Many thanks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bleston Humenthal posted:

I'm looking for a handgun for home defense and target shooting. I currently have a ghetto 9mm filling this role. Due to space constraints, as well as wanting a handgun to target practice with, I'm not interested in a shotgun for this role (I live in a standalone house, and overpenetration is not much of a concern). The research I've done has led me to the 10mm as being the caliber of choice.

I haven't shot glocks before, but don't have anything against them inherently. Any model recommendations? Ammo recs? (preferably full power loads, not the fbi loads). From what I've read, the 175g silvertip has the best ballistic performance, but I'm interested in what you all have found to be the best. Many thanks.

10mm is expensive and can be hard to find. Not to mention the guns being not as common either.

If you don't plan on carrying it, stay away from the sub-compact glocks, as popular as they may be.

.40 S&W and .45 ACP have plenty of power. Check out the Glock 21, and the 22/23.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Also, if you google for 'hollowpoint' and a caliber or brand of ammo, you'll find pictures like this:

You'll also find a ton of pictures of ballistics gel and performance numbers, but it's more fun to choose your bullets based on how cool of a star shape they expand to.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I want a hollow point that comes out looking like a pony :allears:

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Only if you shoot it from a Colt!!

I grew up hunting, and have significant long gun experience, both purchasing and shooting, but far less experience with purchasing handguns. I'm a large-handed guy, and have shot 357 mag and 44 mag without significant recoil issues.

I loves me my 10mm auto, but they aren't for everyone. Get thee to the :google: and search for "DoubleTap Ammo" and see lots of different loaded to the max 10mm (and other) rounds. The 175 grain Silvertip is more of a hunting load than it is a self defense load. I enjoy my Glock 20, but the trigger is typical of a Glock, squishy and long. You can't carry more 10mm ammo in one place in a handgun than with a Glock 20.

NosmoKing fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 3, 2009

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Bob Morales posted:

Also, if you google for 'hollowpoint' and a caliber or brand of ammo, you'll find pictures like this:

You'll also find a ton of pictures of ballistics gel and performance numbers, but it's more fun to choose your bullets based on how cool of a star shape they expand to.

When I look at those, all I see is potential Christmas tree ornaments.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

The research I've done has led me to the 10mm as being the caliber of choice.

What research led you to that conclusion? I'm not calling you out or anything, I'm just curious as to the basis of your opinion.

Ballistically, I'm sure 10mm is fine. However, as has been mentioned, it is expensive and somewhat tough to find. This limits your opportunities to practice with your gun. I am a firm believer in the idea that you should practice with what you carry (or in this case defend your home/loved ones). You are really limiting yourself by setting your sights (ugh, the pun) on 10mm.

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

What are you doing, Julian! The chicken fingers aren’t even cooked! You want us to get sasparilla or something, you dick!

*Waves to NosmoKing*

I kept coming back around to the Glock 20 because of mag capacity, but there are so many people that bitch loud and long about the grip and the trigger pull, I was a bit concerned. I had heard good things about the Zastava, but it is a bit hard to find.

Cost per round isn't my main concern. I just like the search for something cool, that is a bit different. And isn't home defense just hunting the long pig?

I'll check out the doubletap loads. Thanks for the advice.

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

Sorry, Gewehr, double post.

The research was basically just analyzing the available calibers, and seeing which one had the most violent physics to support it. The FBI's ballistic tests compared to the 40 s & w and the 45 acp (to say nothing of the 9mm), were probably the tipping point. (That, and the video of the redneck that took 3 x 40 cal s & w rounds to the chest and skipped to the ambulance).

I understand that they had institutional concerns that led them to choose the 40 cal as their carry round, but I'm not a female FBI agent for whom recoil is a problem. Give me the bigger gun.

My uncles reload, so I'm not too concerned about ammo availability being a problem. Your point is well taken, inasmuch as you should be as familiar as possible with your weapon of choice.

Bottom line, it seemed to be the most effective stopping round on the market.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Bottom line, it seemed to be the most effective stopping round on the market.

Eep. Let's be careful with this term. The argument of "stopping power" tends to get a lot of people frothing at the mouth around here. :)

Well, I respect your decision on 10mm, though I suspect you might draw the ire of the hivemind. It is not the round I would choose. But, if you feel you will be able to practice regularly and will be able to have the firearm selection you desire, then there's no real reason not to go for it. 10mm will kill an intruder just as much as a .40 or .45 will.

That having been said, I'm not incredibly familiar with any 10mm guns, so I can't offer much advice on which to test or buy. Good luck. Let us know what you get and why you got it. And, be prepared to fend off a bunch of people decrying your decision. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

.40 S&W is just a slightly shorter 10mm anyway...