Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Do you think that if I hooked up a RAID device like this to a WDTV, it would work the same as having a regular external HD connected to it? I figure if this could work, I could have a bunch of low power usage network storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

elite burrito posted:

I used to have an enclosure like that when I worked in forensics, although it had scsi hotswappables in it. In linux it just showed up as a regular UMS device, mounted exactly the same as a thumbdrive would, so I expect it would work on wdltv, if not the stock firmware then certainly wdlxtv.

Additionally, not sure how you build/repair the raid on that one, mine had a little LCD controller on the front, that one has a CD in one of the pics ... that kind of worries me as to native linux UMS capability. If the CD is only needed to make changes to the raid controller, and other than that it's just a UMS, you should be good to go, but you can never be too sure, says no driver is needed, but consumer poo poo is sometimes weird.

Thanks for the feedback. We just tested this on my buddy's WDTV running B-Rad's custom firmware, and a conventional external HD.

The WDTV only has a 10/100 card in it.

From the HD to a PC -> 6.3 MB/sec on an 11 gig file in 30 min

Testing upload speed soon, I will update with results.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

We didn't do that other test. Anyway, I got one. I'm not getting audio for WMV files. Is this the WDTV or does my receiver not do WMAPRO audio? They work over the PC to the receiver.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BeefofAges posted:

Very few receivers support WMA Pro. Your PC is probably decoding it to PCM.

Hmm. It seems WMV audio does work when I set the WDTV's audio output to stereo.

edit- Video framerate is weird on wmv files too. Makes it look like it's shot on home video camera.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 8, 2010

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Do you think that if I hooked up a RAID device like this to a WDTV, it would work the same as having a regular external HD connected to it? I figure if this could work, I could have a bunch of low power usage network storage.

I just got this RAID thing for xmas, a few days early since I wont be home. I only have 1 hard drive in it right now, so it's not running RAID. But the important thing is that it connects to my WDTV Live, and using B-Rad's firmware, I am sharing this over my network. Cool stuff.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

wandler20 posted:

I ran into an issue with my WDTV Live Plus last night. I couldn't get it to output any sound. I have it hooked up via HDMI directly to a Panasonic plasma tv. I tried restarting it multiple times but no luck. I haven't update the firmware yet so that might fix it. Suggestions?

They don't like WMA audio. Try setting it to stereo? Could be the file you're trying to play.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

wandler20 posted:

It's not just one file, it's all mkv files. I have a WDTV in the basement and it works just fine with the same files.

Did you check the audio output settings? I always overlook simple things like that. Settings -> Audio/Video -> Audio output

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CombatCupcake posted:

A friend has the WD live. He was telling me how it would only work with a WD external drive, no other External would work.
Do you guys know about that?

I have a hardware RAID box with 6 TB of storage attached to mine. I've used micro-SD cards through a USB adapter on it. Pretty much any USB external type of drive will work.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

One complaint I have about this WDTV is that network file transfers over it top out at around 8 Mbits. So if I'm ftping files to the attached drive, or using some of the WDLXTV's NZB features, it's pretty slow, considering my FIOS is 25 Mbit.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CanuckBassist posted:

Awesome, thanks! Transfer speeds are still very low. Topping out at ~750KB/s.

Does the WDTV just write very slowly to NTFS drives? I tried to see how fast it'd copy a 1gig file from a FAT32 USB thumb drive in one usb port over to my NTFS drive in the other usb port, and it gave me an estimate time of an hour, giving something like a ridiculous ~300KB/s.

I get about 8 megabits per second max when FTPing files from my hardwired PC to an attached USB drive on my WDTV. Maybe 2 or 3 over WiFi.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mine did that, then I unplugged my USB hard drive and plugged it back in and the files worked. :iiam:

I have an issue with mine occasionally resetting itself - not like a reboot, but I lose all of my settings. Maybe happened 2 times in 2 months. Maybe its a WDLXTV issue.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Nask26 posted:

What are you guys doing with the custom firmware? I guess I don't see a use case for me over the official firmware!

Using my attached USB HD as a NAS. Can I do that with stock?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

SB35 posted:

Never had a problem with any of the commonly available online avi or mkv files played off of a USB drive, don't know about networked shares though.

I never had a problem playing things over the network.

I think with the WDLXTV firmware you can also attach a USB DVD or BluRay drive.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tomahawk posted:

So can I hook this thing directly up to an external HDD? Is that optimal? I feel like streaming 1080p videos on my connection will be a nightmare.

Streaming works great. I have a 6 tb USB RAID box hooked up to mine shared as a NAS. But I've played directly from that, streamed over WiFi, over network hard line, its all good. I have a WDTV Live Plus from 2 years ago, I'm sure the modern day versions are better.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

syphon posted:

Has anyone had any luck using this over wifi? I couldn't stream any HD video over wifi because it's only 802.11g (instead of N). Roku and the LG device both seem to work ok, but I prefer the WDTV interface.

Specifically, I want to use this with a Mac Mini Plex server. I'm wondering what experiences other people have had with that.

I have the old Live Plus that doesn't have wifi built in and is hard wired, but I've streamed HD things to it from computers that were on the network with Wifi G with no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

chizad posted:

At least with the WDTV Live Streaming, you can plug in a USB keyboard. I'm using a Logitech K270 with mine without any problems. I think the previous model had keyboard support as well, not sure about anything before that.

You can also plug in a wireless keyboard, provided the receiving end is USB.

• Locked thread