Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its literally a repost of the videos and work of others. Did 0 legwork and got to shill trashy earbuds.

just deleted the post, gently caress giving that guy traffic, sorry.

https://i.imgur.com/SGVZq40.mp4

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've never had an issue, on everything from racing camaros and Ford pickups with 460s to little cars with 1.5 litres of displacement in the hot hot desert.

Having a properly big radiator from Be Cool or someone helps tho.

I've got a pair of OEM GM fans from a '90s FWD Regal on a 4-core radiator in my '70 Cutlass, in Texas, and have never had a cooling problem.

Turbo Fondant posted:

The sales pitch for electric fans was never that they cooled better than a mechanical one, only that they eliminate the parasitic load of the fan spinning (little as that may be) without the clutch engaged and the inertial load of the hub (hey, they're pretty heavy in some applications). Also, you can run a touch less shroud clearance for a more efficient fan since you don't have motor mount slop to contend with but that's splitting hairs.

edit:
Also, low speed, low RPM cooling in traffic.

LifeSunDeath posted:

just deleted the post, gently caress giving that guy traffic, sorry.

https://i.imgur.com/SGVZq40.mp4

That's a driver failure. Two, actually (though I will not claim that I've never driven fast on public roads.)

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 8, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Darchangel posted:

I've got a pair of OEM GM fans from a '90s FWD Regal on a 4-core radiator in my '70 Cutlass, in Texas, and have never had a cooling problem.

The problem is more often the trash radiator that is designed for 40% of engine load than the fan.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrYenko posted:

The problem is more often the trash radiator that is designed for 40% of engine load than the fan.

I upgraded to the 4-core explicitly to avoid such issues. :D

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://i.imgur.com/zloSLKQ.mp4

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
loving around and finding out.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
There's enough sticking out to get some pliers on it, so it's not as hosed as it COULD be.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

nvm

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

just saw that i accidentally posted this in the "terrible car stuff" thread rather than the "horrible mechanical failure" thread

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Godholio posted:

100% depends on the car. Every C2 and C3 Corvette that ever had an electric fan had overheating problems and either got parked as a trailer queen or went back to OE style.

I've seen this. Father of a friend bought a C3 Vette, PO had installed an aftermarket electric fan and deleted the shroud and air dam. Guy had to track down and reinstall fan, shroud and dam plus a high-flow thermostat to get overheating under control.

On the upside, when he yanked that tired old malaise-era 350 out and stuck a tweaked 427 under the hood, it ran like a scalded cat and never cracked 195.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

rndmnmbr posted:

I've seen this. Father of a friend bought a C3 Vette, PO had installed an aftermarket electric fan and deleted the shroud and air dam.

Drives me absolutely nuts when people go "ELECTRIC FANS ARE poo poo BRING BACK THE SPINNING DEATH SHARDS" when they tear away the shroud and ziptie whatever $20 trash pinwheel they can find somewhere in the vicinity of their radiator.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

H2SO4 posted:

Drives me absolutely nuts when people go "ELECTRIC FANS ARE poo poo BRING BACK THE SPINNING DEATH SHARDS" when they tear away the shroud and ziptie whatever $20 trash pinwheel they can find somewhere in the vicinity of their radiator.

Ya, the shroud (and air dam, if there is one) is generally critical to proper cooling.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

Goddamn. Watching this car youtube and the guy buys a new range rover and over the first month has it in the dealership for multiple issues to the point that they have to give him a totally new car (they offered to fully replace the engine on his new car lol). Then he's got the new one but it was supposed to come with the winch option, so they say they can install one, well the cut the wires on the winch somehow, order a new one takes weeks, they go to install it, end up cutting the frame of the car somehow, it cannot be fixed by them, so they say hey how about we get you into yet another new Range Rover! It's incredible how bad some of these car companies are at not having a hosed up product and/or hosed up ability too fix it.

quality made in austria.

BurgerQuest posted:

Ave got pretty boring when he stopped tearing down tools and leaned into his CnC stuff.
and 100% of his covid takes are loving cringe.

Cojawfee posted:

Then he went off the deep end into dumb stuff I didn't care about.
he hid his patreon revenue when it got truly obscene, I don't think he gives much of a gently caress. shame too, cause his tools/industry vids were legit good and fun

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 24, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

quality made in austria.

and 100% of his covid takes are loving cringe.

he hid his patreon revenue when it got truly obscene, I don't think he gives much of a gently caress. shame too, cause his tools/industry vids were legit good and fun

Fess up, how long have you had that browser tab open.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Midjack posted:

The vaccines hadn't been started when the op was made lol

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Midjack posted:

I laugh, because I have totally done this before

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Ya, the shroud (and air dam, if there is one) is generally critical to proper cooling.

I've know this for years as a professional but I got a good old slap in the face when finishing the Volkzda. It is crazy the difference that well managed air flow makes, even with a dual fan shroud and a fat radiator. The biggest issue most people probably have and don't realize it is that they may be getting hot air going back around through the radiator. Underhood and underbody air flow is a tricky bitch when you start modifying factory stuff.

Oh, and forever gently caress people (especially Youtube/TV "experts") who buy janky electric fans and attach them through the fins of their shiny new radiators or intercoolers with those loving plastic clip strips on their "superhighperformancestreetstriptrackbeast". Buy or make proper brackets or shrouds you heathens.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Cue RADL and the measures required to run an IC and a decent rad under the hood of an RX-7. It's serious business.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Joe Mama posted:

Oh, and forever gently caress people (especially Youtube/TV "experts") who buy janky electric fans and attach them through the fins of their shiny new radiators or intercoolers with those loving plastic clip strips on their "superhighperformancestreetstriptrackbeast". Buy or make proper brackets or shrouds you heathens.

No kidding that's the biggest hack. Those plastic strips are the biggest pieces of poo poo and are going to ruin the radiator with vibration not to mention it usually means they didn't take the time to shroud the fan. Anyone that does that and has problems with it deserve it. Man I hate that hack so much

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I used them to attach the ducting to my oil cooler, radiator, and intercooler. Rip

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Ducting probably doesn't vibrate like a fan definitely does though

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ahh, so the plastic clips are for damping those vibrations

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Forbidden guacamole

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pâté de Foie Grease

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I wonder how long that took.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Suddenly the safety sticker's meaning has been amplified a notch.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Suddenly the safety sticker's meaning has been amplified a notch.

Wrong thread, spinning death wheels rule.
IIRC there was a goon, Pipkin I believe his name was who inherited a bunch of poo poo from an uncle, or grandfather. Among it was a bunch of landscaping type equipment.
Including a giant, horizontally mounted circular sawing spinny wheel of death. That thing had even less guarding than this being from probably the 50s or 60s.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

wesleywillis posted:

IIRC there was a goon, Pipkin I believe his name was who inherited a bunch of poo poo from an uncle, or grandfather. Among it was a bunch of landscaping type equipment.
Including a giant, horizontally mounted circular sawing spinny wheel of death. That thing had even less guarding than this being from probably the 50s or 60s.

LOL he's posted on this very page. That's why I won't let my lovely username get changed.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Sometimes it's hard to tell if these posts are people legitimately destroying their cars or Garage54 screenshots

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Dude.

At least mount the pull start facing the other way.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

Yea that's me, I have to dig that thing out soon and see if I can save it. I plan on cleaning out the collapsed greenhouses where that stuff is this spring before the vegetation takes over again. When I get it out I'll post it for sure.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

PainterofCrap posted:

Dude.

At least mount the pull start facing the other way.

Oh look who we have here, Mr. Osha himself.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

I want to know if it goes pu-pu-pu-brummmmmmmm like a mower with a blade or fuh-wheeeeeeeeeeee like a circular saw

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Finaldestination.jpg

I literally just had my mulching mowers blade break off the prop and the blade go flying off to the right, thank gently caress it went away from myself.

I can only imagine the carnage if that thing ended up hitting your shins.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 1, 2021

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp6hzqfyuSY

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

It’s so good right up until the moment literally anything at all goes wrong or you have to interact with it in any way. Then it’s just horrifying.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I like that handheld version from Friday the 13th part 7 better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If you ask nicely, Home Depot will rent you one of those. It's a little intimidating until you get the hang of it.