Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How to blind everyone on the road, not be able to steer, stop, or accelerate, lose your RV, and kill your transmission all in one easy step!

The best part is that RV is older than the Blazer, and that Blazer is, at most, a 1991 (going by the tail lights anyway). That RV is probably old enough to be its parent.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

wesleywillis posted:

I drive various straight trucks with enclosed boxes on the back at my work. There is wood (not 2x4s) between the frame rails of the truck and the bottom frame rails of the box. There are no gaps. between the two

I don't know if thats typical or not typical for tank trucks, but based on the 10ish trucks that my company has or has had over the last several years, its normal for box trucks.

It's probably not structural. I'm guessing your boxes are attached with u-bolts and not bracketed onto the truck's rails.

I haven't seen a lot of box trucks, but it's good to have some type of insulating material between the truck's rails and body's rails. Otherwise they are going to rub together whenever they flex, then rub all the paint off, then your rails rust away into nothing.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

diamond plate used to hold the tank to the frame :wtf:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The wood is probably not an issue. I see wood used in that way a lot, it's generally oak or some other rot resistant hardwood and used between a ladder frame and a truck bed, box, etc. Generally with ubolts, but I've also seen it used with brackets and heavy spring loaded bolts, my 5 ton military truck had that setup as it allows the frame and bed to flex a bit more without the ubolts having to slide around on the frame.

But the way those brackets were built, the bolts used, the lack of springs, and the lack of locking nuts absolutely were issues, along with everything else that guy did to that truck.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I want to believe that's plumbed directly to the radiator.

Acts as a hand wash or a steam whistle depending on how long you've been driving

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Salami Surgeon posted:

It's probably not structural. I'm guessing your boxes are attached with u-bolts and not bracketed onto the truck's rails.

I haven't seen a lot of box trucks, but it's good to have some type of insulating material between the truck's rails and body's rails. Otherwise they are going to rub together whenever they flex, then rub all the paint off, then your rails rust away into nothing.

Yeah, u bolts on most of them, some are long studs with flat plates clamping the frames together. I'd imagine the wood is there like you said for insulation type purposes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The wood is pretty common, here's a commercial truck industry association mentioning it as a normal way to mount upfit hardware:
https://www.ntea.com/NTEA/NTEA/Member_benefits/Technical_resources/TechConnections/ResourcesforBodyMountingProcedures1.aspx

I wouldn't assume this one was done right of course, there's a specific way it's supposed to be tapered and the body is to be mounted to go with it, but it's not inherently suspicious on its own.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1eVRkvQkaU

I think this one must be the worst "rolled into shop" video I've seen so far. Jesus how do these people even function (and/or not die) in day to day life?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Raluek posted:

some of the recommended videos that youtube's algorithm spat out at the end continued to feature this truck, so i guess he did end up working on it after all. i dare not click, because im sure i would spend my entire day watching videos about trucks, lol

I skimmed through a bunch and those videos aren't quite what you think. The youtuber did convince the truck's owner that it was best to remove any usable parts and scrap the rest, but because he is apparently also good friends with the owner, he got roped into stretching and strengthening a different (but similar/same model) truck the right way.

In one of the latest videos, the bad truck does make a reappearance. He starts removing parts from it (axles, suspension parts) that he's going to reuse, and that's when things get really :psyduck:.

When the truckfuckler added doubling plate by cutting up a different frame and bolting it to the original, he didn't drill holes to match the original's hole pattern. Instead, he torch cut them. By hand. Oversize. With technique even worse than the welds.

So, there were a bunch of bent bolts with absolutely wrecked threads. If that piece of poo poo had ever been made road "legal" and used, I suspect the structural failure race between sheared bolts and bad welds would've been won by the bolts.

But wait there's more! The fuckler didn't even install all the bolts he should've, because if it wasn't convenient he didn't bother. Some bolts were too short for the doubled up plate thickness, so the nuts couldn't thread all the way on. There were giant cracks in the original frame the fuckler didn't bother welding up. On and on and on, it's one of those things where the longer you look at it the more things you find.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

wolrah posted:

The wood is pretty common, here's a commercial truck industry association mentioning it as a normal way to mount upfit hardware:
https://www.ntea.com/NTEA/NTEA/Member_benefits/Technical_resources/TechConnections/ResourcesforBodyMountingProcedures1.aspx

I wouldn't assume this one was done right of course, there's a specific way it's supposed to be tapered and the body is to be mounted to go with it, but it's not inherently suspicious on its own.

Oh wow, your spot on! From the link you gave:

quote:

U-Bolt/Threaded Rod and End Plate — Secures the body’s longitudinal mounting rail to the chassis frame. A filler of wood, rubber or plastic is recommended between the longitudinal mounting rails and the chassis frame.

I learned stuff today, thanks!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

I almost wanna say wrong thread. It's not awesome, unless it's functional though :v:

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Proof a project car doesn't have to be a money sink.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BobHoward posted:

I skimmed through a bunch and those videos aren't quite what you think. The youtuber did convince the truck's owner that it was best to remove any usable parts and scrap the rest, but because he is apparently also good friends with the owner, he got roped into stretching and strengthening a different (but similar/same model) truck the right way.

In one of the latest videos, the bad truck does make a reappearance. He starts removing parts from it (axles, suspension parts) that he's going to reuse, and that's when things get really :psyduck:.

When the truckfuckler added doubling plate by cutting up a different frame and bolting it to the original, he didn't drill holes to match the original's hole pattern. Instead, he torch cut them. By hand. Oversize. With technique even worse than the welds.

So, there were a bunch of bent bolts with absolutely wrecked threads. If that piece of poo poo had ever been made road "legal" and used, I suspect the structural failure race between sheared bolts and bad welds would've been won by the bolts.

But wait there's more! The fuckler didn't even install all the bolts he should've, because if it wasn't convenient he didn't bother. Some bolts were too short for the doubled up plate thickness, so the nuts couldn't thread all the way on. There were giant cracks in the original frame the fuckler didn't bother welding up. On and on and on, it's one of those things where the longer you look at it the more things you find.

loving Christ!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
this thread makes me nauseous and I follow some poo poo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MrOnBicycle posted:

I think this one must be the worst "rolled into shop" video I've seen so far. Jesus how do these people even function (and/or not die) in day to day life?

Oh my God the engine oil guy.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BobHoward posted:

christ. well, thanks for providing an executive summary so it sates my interest but avoids me having to watch like 2 hours of videos to get it, lol

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Huh. I could use a hood ornament on the Lexry.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh my God the engine oil guy.

I went straight for 60W when my F-150 was knocking and the oil light was flickering. Also slapped in a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

I don't think you can even get plain 60W engine oil today, can you? I'm sure it's totally unrelated, but I got about a month out of starters, solenoids, and battery cables anytime it got cold for a bit - that poor starter could barely turn that lump of 351M over with 60W.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I've used the gear oil trick before to help a friend sell a beater, but you still have the car filled with 10W30 or whatever and only put in as much gear oil as you can get away with to quiet the lifters. An entire crankcase full of the stuff... well we saw how that turned out

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

this thread makes me nauseous and I follow some poo poo

Bolt holes grosser than goatse

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Apparently someone asked the maintenance guys to remove the ice from our cold room, and apparently they used a hammer.:bravo:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Oh, so that's what Red Rover means.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Micr0chiP posted:

Apparently someone asked the maintenance guys to remove the ice from our cold room, and apparently they used a hammer.:bravo:

looks like you're about to get a new condenser at minimum, that thing is hosed

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Raluek posted:

christ. well, thanks for providing an executive summary so it sates my interest but avoids me having to watch like 2 hours of videos to get it, lol

yeah his videos are a little long winded, aren't they

Here's the goatse bolt hole moment when he starts unbolting poo poo

https://youtu.be/vxqD13rDrxU?t=199

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Fins can be straightened. Lots of work though.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Micr0chiP posted:

looks like someone is about to learn what a condenser comb is.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

chrisgt posted:

looks like someone is about to learn what a condenser comb is.

I fixed an oil cooler once with tweezers :smithicide:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Oh my god - stick on hood pins...

Oh, Christ, the "lift kit" on that Challenger!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I do miss the Earl Sheib commercials.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I do not even want to imagine what that engine full of gear lube smelled like when they opened it

bet they had to evacuate the shop

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I always thought ATF smelled the absolute worst.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

namlosh posted:

I always thought ATF smelled the absolute worst.

Ford friction modifier smells and tastes like absolute death.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That is the Evaporator :eng101:

the Condenser is outside the box.

but yeah fin combs work on both.

also, probably want to look at the defrost coil or timer.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Oh my god - stick on hood pins...

holy poo poo, i was only looking at the push pin the guy was pointing out, thinking "well thats not great, but its only retaining the pin leash, right?" and totally didnt notice that the whole pin was fake :aaa:

BobHoward posted:

yeah his videos are a little long winded, aren't they

Here's the goatse bolt hole moment when he starts unbolting poo poo

https://youtu.be/vxqD13rDrxU?t=199

i don't mind that he's thorough in making his points, i just had other things to do that day and couldn't afford to get sucked into youtube for the rest of the day, lmao

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

No. 6 posted:

Fins can be straightened. Lots of work though.

My friend Tom wants a word

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

MRC48B posted:

That is the Evaporator :eng101:

the Condenser is outside the box.

but yeah fin combs work on both.

also, probably want to look at the defrost coil or timer.

Oh poo poo, you're right. I always have to stop and think that one, but to be fair, the tool is called a condenser comb. Not sure if I've ever heard it called an evaporator comb.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

It’s probably called that because the evaporator being inside probably makes it way less prone (in most cases, not this one obviously) to getting it’s fins messed up.

I’ll never forget working for a lawn service as a kid weed whacking and hitting the fins on a condenser outside and seeing them immediately bend as if by magic from the spinning wire. It was only much later that I realized and felt bad about it

urzaserra256
Nov 29, 2009
The owner needs to learn to not leave the door open allowing all that humid outside air in which then freezes on the evaporator. And a good way to de ice evaporator is with (hot) water and one of those garden hose sprayers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Adolf Glitter posted:

My friend Tom wants a word
lmao