Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Powershift posted:

Ford friction modifier smells and tastes like absolute death.

Please don't remind me. It's somehow worse than the GM or Mopar stuff, and I didn't know that was possible.

Now, the new GM synthetic gear oil by itself? Smells like grape soda. Insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/J4Sn34Z.mp4

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKX68wCUc1A

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Just found this on reddit and can't figure out a way to get a direct video link on my phone:

Turns out if you try hard enough, you can money-shift an Allison.

Some quotes from the op:

quote:

Driver somehow got the trans to go into 1st gear while going downhill in a utility truck. Grenaded the engine, trans, and even sent a piece of bellhousing through the passenger side floorboard and blew out one of the windows.

quote:

quote:

How? Unless it's an antique manually controlled Allison, the TCM should have prevented this.

That's what we could never figure out. This all happened a couple years back. Truck was newer. The driver said the trans did it all on its own while coasting downhill. The owner opted for a new TCM alongside the trans replacement in the offchance that something glitched out and caused all this.

quote:

The best part is that there were 12 holes. Every rod busted through both sides of the block. The oil pan looked like the Tin Man's undies after taco Tuesday.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Just found this on reddit and can't figure out a way to get a direct video link on my phone:

Turns out if you try hard enough, you can money-shift an Allison.

Some quotes from the op:

quote:

the Tin Man's undies after taco Tuesday
Title

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Looks Like the Tin Man's Undies After Taco Tuesday.

Seconding that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Tin man should see a mechanic if they can hoover castor oil and not tacos.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Midjack posted:

Looks Like the Tin Man's Undies After Taco Tuesday.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

`Nemesis posted:

looks like you're about to get a new condenser at minimum, that thing is hosed

That'd be the evaporator, but yeah, it was hosed sometime in the 1970s. That thing is positively ancient.

If it's icing up, there's plenty of other issues already. Defrost timer not working, defrost heaters not working (if it has them - it doesn't look like it does), door being left open, low refrigerant charge all come to mind. You can straighten the fins out a good bit, but (speaking an an armchair HVAC guy anyway) I'd be looking for a full changeout anyway. Not only is it older than most HVAC techs, it's probably blowing the wrong way (unless the fan is reversed) and sucking down more power than most city blocks. You never blow toward the wall; fans usually pull through the fins, not push, and the fan is usually blowing OUT of the box.

chrisgt posted:

Oh poo poo, you're right. I always have to stop and think that one, but to be fair, the tool is called a condenser comb. Not sure if I've ever heard it called an evaporator comb.

I've always heard it called a fin comb.

namlosh posted:

I’ll never forget working for a lawn service as a kid weed whacking and hitting the fins on a condenser outside and seeing them immediately bend as if by magic from the spinning wire. It was only much later that I realized and felt bad about it

At least you left the fins. There's several condensers in my apt complex missing a massive chunk of fins from dogs pissing on them. I think the fact they're so drat old/overbuilt is the only reason they still work decently.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 13, 2023

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Tesla taxi went for a wild ride in Bergen. The police are not ruling out technical issues. Looks like the brake lights are on?

https://twitter.com/ingdal/status/1657320769502736384

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
I know I Do Cars is pretty much cheating, but this one is another doozie :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqu7B8DPi_o

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

afen posted:

Tesla taxi went for a wild ride in Bergen. The police are not ruling out technical issues. Looks like the brake lights are on?

Looks like brake lights are on, yeah. I think I see the CHMSL. I thought it could be oversaturation from the Taxi light on top, but the still photo doesn't show one.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

afen posted:

The police is asking Tesla for the black box data, the driver is hosed.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
another one, this one is already sagging

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Wtf is with that camper shell? Did they widen it?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dr.Smasher posted:

Wtf is with that camper shell? Did they widen it?

No that's just a S&S camper.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

`Nemesis posted:

I feel like none of the doors can operate and a big enough bump with blow out every side window.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

`Nemesis posted:

front of the camper kinda looks like goatse, no ring tho 1/5

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
probably a horrible kinetic failure but whatever

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not very kinetic from the look of that traffic

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
u-joint from one of my truck's half shafts

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

bearing more like bearaint

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That's nothing. My cousin manage to let the front u-joint on his truck go long enough that it wore through one side of the bearing cap, and eventually dropped the driveshaft. Fortunately, while he was stationary, just pulling out. Had to find him a new transmission yoke, since it had started eating into that, as well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maintaining a car correctly is un American, run that poo poo into the ground!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Right.. it's American to do nothing.. let it ride.. buy a new car and roll that negative equity into the next car note because "Well it'll cost more than I have to fix the car so I can only afford a new car"

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Darchangel posted:

That's nothing. My cousin manage to let the front u-joint on his truck go long enough that it wore through one side of the bearing cap, and eventually dropped the driveshaft. Fortunately, while he was stationary, just pulling out. Had to find him a new transmission yoke, since it had started eating into that, as well.

When I worked at a repair shop i saw all kinds of these failures. Had a car come in for an ABS light on, it was scary to drive in the parking lot at 10mph. A rear wheel bearing had eaten so far into the knuckle that it destroyed the ABS sensor. Who cares if the car is all over the road and makes a TERRIBLE sound, don't take it to the mechanic until some light yells at you!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

tater_salad posted:

Right.. it's American to do nothing.. let it ride.. buy a new car and roll that negative equity into the next car note because "Well it'll cost more than I have to fix the car so I can only afford a new car"

Having watched the Just Rolled In videos, I don't trust people to be able to maintain a motor vehicle

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Having watched the Just Rolled In videos, I don't trust people to be able to maintain a motor vehicle

these make me very excite for my states annual safety inspection requirements. It's not as bad as MOT for the UK but does prevent "vanes between brake rotor sides are now braking surface"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

That's why I won't buy used cars with unknown history, too many people just don't give a gently caress, I'll wait until I find someone selling a car that knows how and was willing to maintain it properly

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

is the body controller smart enough to only blow the airbags on the side of the car that suffered the impact?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

buttcrackmenace posted:

is the body controller smart enough to only blow the airbags on the side of the car that suffered the impact?

Its within the airbag control module and yes it has an imu so it knows which direction the vehicle is sliding and how it came to a very abrupt stop.

The bcm is a stupid potato that handles things that never get used like turn indicators.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Said cousin is not, erm, mechanically sympathetic. He's not the worst, but he does tolerate a lot more than I would. The '87 F-150 (300-6, manual trans) this happened on was well worn, and I'm not sure the driveshaft vibration was entirely noticeable...

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

A long while ago my boss made me play frogger to pick up the driveshaft the work van pooped out on the highway after the U joint bearings completely let go.

Of course it had felt like a paint shaker riding in it for months before that.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://hw-videos.worldstarhiphop.com/u/vid/2023/05/SZtjb3TTvHqf.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

1. more proof that the slammed hellaflush poo poo is garbage

2. that's exactly why you give lovely modded out clapped out cars a wide berth

3. drat that motorcycle got lucky

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

That may as well have been on ice as soon as it got unsettled, jeez.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Did he hit a bump or the suspension drop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
He dropped it to the ground until it touched and unloaded the rear tires. Karma. Lucky biker for sure.