Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Joe Mama posted:

He dropped it to the ground until it touched and unloaded the rear tires. Karma. Lucky biker for sure.

Yeah. That's how I saw it too. Airbags make for some really bad ideas sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Another day another taco ram

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

cursedshitbox posted:

Another day another taco ram

I call those the "dodge ramifications" of their (foolish) actions.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Remember that ultra sketchy truck posted recently that the guy had paid to have hosed up?

Well here's what would have happened if he'd used it and it had been a dump truck.
https://www.facebook.com/reel/692663935862403?s=yWDuG2&fs=e&mibextid=Nif5oz

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Why the hell did that low rider even have a towing hitch installed on it ? :psyduck:

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 27, 2023

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

MREBoy posted:

Why the hell did that low rider even have a towing hitch installed on it ? :psyduck:

duh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wish those style trailers (like Futuras) weren't so fuckin expensive. Great for fast loading a race car without stacking ramps.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

MREBoy posted:

so he can release air from the bags on the highway so the hitch touches the ground and causes sparks like that. he overdid the release air part too much though and unloaded the rear wheels causing the crash.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BlackMK4 posted:

I wish those style trailers (like Futuras) weren't so fuckin expensive. Great for fast loading a race car without stacking ramps.

How much do those run? Have you ever talked to a fabricator about maybe doing something like that?

I have no idea how much these things cost.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Wasabi the J posted:

How much do those run? Have you ever talked to a fabricator about maybe doing something like that?

I have no idea how much these things cost.

They start at like $15k, which is 2-3x what you can get a normal low aluminum car trailer for, heh.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
i imagine they're also in the right thread for when an airbag blows out. we were just talking about unloading the rear in a golf, imagine doing it with your trailer

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Large Testicles posted:

i imagine they're also in the right thread for when an airbag blows out. we were just talking about unloading the rear in a golf, imagine doing it with your trailer

I can't speak for the trailer in question there, but the way these low trailers normally work is they have a mechanism that allows them to drop low to load/unload. The mechanism is locked out with a pin when in lowered or upright position.

Either way, I'd definitely not buy an airbag trailer over a torsen axle lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvPC0XpyruA

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 31, 2023

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
You can tell a lot about a vehicle/its prior owners just by pulling the stereo (at least they used an adapter harness).

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Dagen H posted:

You can tell a lot about a vehicle/its prior owners just by pulling the stereo (at least they used an adapter harness).

Car mechanics will scold you all day for soldering wires in cars (it can be done reliably and there are standards for doing so) yet their wiring looks like this

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

No. 6 posted:

Car mechanics will scold you all day for soldering wires in cars (it can be done reliably and there are standards for doing so) yet their wiring looks like this

It's a 30-year-old farm truck, this thing hasn't seen a mechanic since the warranty expired under Clinton.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
how come no solder do they want the twisty things?

we'd wire lovely tape decks up with anything we could find back in the olden times heeee

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe they are worried about the vibrations that come with driving might crack the solder.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A good solder joint is totally fine, but most people are not capable of making good solder joints. Mechanical connectors are more reliable when installed by dummies.

There are some specious arguments you'll hear, like oh no the solder will melt under high current/temperatures in use (lol not unless you seriously hosed up your electrical system), or that oh no solder is stiff and the joints will crack (again, not if it's done right and properly strain-relieved; NASA has a soldering spec that works on rockets).

If you aren't soldering, you should be crimping. Wire nuts (I assume this is what you mean by the "twisty things") are no good where the cables are expected to vibrate or move around. There are a lot of good butt crimps and crimpable connector options out there.

e: lol see both up there ^^^^ and down here vvvv are people repeating the myth that soldered wires will crack in cars. Not if you do it properly they won't!!

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

how come no solder do they want the twisty things?

we'd wire lovely tape decks up with anything we could find back in the olden times heeee

Solder isn’t good in things that vibrate, it has a tendency to break after a while. Butt connectors are what you’re supposed to use.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

e: lol see both up there ^^^^ and down here vvvv are people repeating the myth that soldered wires will crack in cars. Not if you do it properly they won't!!

Yes because all of us have a Hakko FM206 rework station.

Anything lasts the life of the warranty period when done right. Unfortunately doing anything right is a rare trait.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

cursedshitbox posted:

THANK you.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Sagebrush posted:

A good solder joint is totally fine, but most people are not capable of making good solder joints. Mechanical connectors are more reliable when installed by dummies.

There are some specious arguments you'll hear, like oh no the solder will melt under high current/temperatures in use (lol not unless you seriously hosed up your electrical system), or that oh no solder is stiff and the joints will crack (again, not if it's done right and properly strain-relieved; NASA has a soldering spec that works on rockets).

If you aren't soldering, you should be crimping. Wire nuts (I assume this is what you mean by the "twisty things") are no good where the cables are expected to vibrate or move around. There are a lot of good butt crimps and crimpable connector options out there.

Yes but if you don’t do it properly it will and most people suck at soldering. It’s not a myth. You’re becoming worse than Fishmech ever was JFC.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'm going to assume that was done to get a vehicle without struts temporarily mobile, and it wasn't driven like that. For my own sanity.

Dagen H posted:

Speaking of sanity...
This hurts me physically. I used to be a mobile electronics installer.

No. 6 posted:

Soldering is fine. See above.
It's not a goddamned rocket ship or airplane.

Crimps are OK if done properly, which is always the sticking point. They're also bulky.

Large Testicles posted:

Solder isn’t good in things that vibrate, it has a tendency to break after a while. Butt connectors are what you’re supposed to use.

To solder wires properly (there's that word again) you make a half decent mechanical connection to begin with. It's mostly a non-issue in normal cars.

cursedshitbox posted:

Anything lasts the life of the warranty period when done right. Unfortunately doing anything right is a rare trait.

I do my in-car soldering with a Weller 550 soldering gun. It's loving fine.
Bundle and loom wires properly so that they're not just hanging there vibrating by themselves. Jesus.
Learning to solder isn't that hard - I managed it, after all.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Large Testicles posted:

Yes but if you don’t do it properly it will and most people suck at soldering. It’s not a myth. You’re becoming worse than Fishmech ever was JFC.

I give up.

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011

Dagen H posted:

When I bought my last car I talked the seller down by $100 (from $1100) on the condition that he kept the headunit, and then while I was signing the transfer paperwork he pulled the headunit as far as the homemade loom would go and hacked it all off with a knife, then dropped the tails back into the dash.

I ended up just pulling all the wires from the other end, covering up the speaker holes he hacked in the parcel shelf, buying an OEM stereo delete panel, and putting a bluetooth speaker under the glovebox.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

I do my in-car soldering with a Weller 550 soldering gun. It's loving fine.
Bundle and loom wires properly so that they're not just hanging there vibrating by themselves. Jesus.

At the rover shop I had a butane powered soldering torch. It worked great for field operations. I actually do own a fm206 and most of the time solder over crimp. There's always outlier cases where soldering is ill advised. Some lovely broke as hell biodegradeable harness that isn't held down on a mercedes v8 hitting on 5.5 cylinders is one of them. I don't go around screeching about SOLDER ONLY AT NASA SPECS! to the average dingus because the average dingus is well, average.

A loving Crimp loving Works.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
A proper soldering joint is fine, the issue is most solder jobs on cars are repairs and you often end up in awkward as gently caress places with not enough wire to do things properly, not to mention things like corrosion on the wire contaminating things. I've done it and it works but I don't regret buying a proper ratcheting crimper its just so much easier faster and cleaner.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Darchangel posted:

Did you have a mentor?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

At the rover shop I had a butane powered soldering torch. It worked great for field operations. I actually do own a fm206 and most of the time solder over crimp. There's always outlier cases where soldering is ill advised. Some lovely broke as hell biodegradeable harness that isn't held down on a mercedes v8 hitting on 5.5 cylinders is one of them. I don't go around screeching about SOLDER ONLY AT NASA SPECS! to the average dingus because the average dingus is well, average.

A loving Crimp loving Works.

Fair point.

Kafouille posted:

A proper soldering joint is fine, the issue is most solder jobs on cars are repairs and you often end up in awkward as gently caress places with not enough wire to do things properly, not to mention things like corrosion on the wire contaminating things. I've done it and it works but I don't regret buying a proper ratcheting crimper its just so much easier faster and cleaner.

Well, yes, but getting the crimpers in those awkward as gently caress places is also a challenge (trust me... I don't typically solder terminals on, for example.) Pro tip on the ratcheting crimpers, though. Those things make it so much easier to get a decent crimp, that you *know* is actually tight enough.

Dagen H posted:

Did you have a mentor?

Sorta. I had done terrible solder joints for years, but the stereo shop I worked at gave me a few tips and pointers. Turns out clean wire, a decent mechanical joint, and most critically, a decent soldering instrument with a clean tip, including the actual joint to the iron, is key. Also good solder.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Kafouille posted:

not to mention things like corrosion on the wire contaminating things.

Darchangel posted:

clean wire,

There's a discrepancy here

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I've owned too many cars to trust a soldered connection, including ones I may have done in the past :byoscience:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dagen H posted:

No! Money down!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just tell people to buy an Astro 9477 and use the good dual wall heatshrink splices. Do I trust a well done solder joint in a well secured harness? Sure. Do I trust Joe blow's soldering he thinks he knows how to do? No loving way, not without seeing him do it. A decent ratchet crimper that's correctly adjusted on the other hand you have to be aggressively stupid to gently caress up with. I can tell people to use that and their poo poo will work, every single time.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Negative camber has reached it's limits we have to go positive to stay fresh.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

That is literally bailing wiretwine.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

in life it's important to always stay positive (camber angle)

e, fixed

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 2, 2023

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

That wasn't me lol

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Dagen H posted:

That wasn't me lol

I fixed it, oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dagen H posted:

Yeah, that's the tough part. Good solder with rosin helps, but yeah.

kastein posted:

I just tell people to buy an Astro 9477 and use the good dual wall heatshrink splices. Do I trust a well done solder joint in a well secured harness? Sure. Do I trust Joe blow's soldering he thinks he knows how to do? No loving way, not without seeing him do it. A decent ratchet crimper that's correctly adjusted on the other hand you have to be aggressively stupid to gently caress up with. I can tell people to use that and their poo poo will work, every single time.

I've got a Chinese clone crimper. One feature I see on the Astro is slots for the screws in the dies. Mine has holes meaning I have to fully remove the dang screws every time. Works fine, though.

Lake of Methane posted:

That is literally bailing wiretwine.

Yep.