Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

:crossarms: that sure is a tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Beach Bum posted:

:crossarms: that sure is a tweet

Those times you hit ctrl-v without looking and disclose more about yourself than you planned.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

That reminds me of a video I once saw of a cow that got clipped by a train. Most of its head was missing but it was still alive and walking around.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That reminds me of a video I once saw of a cow that got clipped by a train. Most of its head was missing but it was still alive and walking around.

So is 'gruntle' another word for head?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Tell me, why did I have to go find this :gonk:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

joat mon posted:

So is 'gruntle' another word for head?

You don't want that for my avatar.

CornHolio posted:

Tell me, why did I have to go find this :gonk:

I didn't link the video for a reason. If you looked it up that's on you.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 3, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Post/username combo

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That's pretty impressive.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That screams BMW X5

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

um excuse me posted:

That screams BMW X5

I was just thinking "big, used Euro SUV where the new owner didn't realise it was going to cost him $400 a corner for new rubber"

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

um excuse me posted:

That screams BMW X5

lmbo I had the exact same thought. X5 owners are the cheapest motherfuckers, even compared to most used-BMW owners

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It's the same with like every recent pickup. "A 285/60-20 costs what!?"

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

um excuse me posted:

That screams BMW X5

looks like a Pilot Sport A/S? so yeah

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

jamal posted:

It's the same with like every recent pickup. "A 285/60-20 costs what!?"

18s on my truck, load range E.

$1050 in tires and mounting, but I was expecting it. Still smarts.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’s a rough landing when you touch down and one of your wheels wants to keep flying.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Tyrg8FlHE/?igshid=f4hlwbew0rr

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

"Yay! We missed the giant pothole!"
*thunk*

This looks like one of the problems I tried to answer for my inaugural UAV Airman's exam in 2016. Dirt runway, trees on the right side of the runway & at the far end, cow pond on the left...

At least, grass-covered dirt piles weren't a thing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Terrible Robot posted:

lmbo I had the exact same thought. X5 owners are the cheapest motherfuckers, even compared to most used-BMW owners

Not to mention that wicked camber that all seem to have on the rear, wearing the tires unevenly.

Icon Of Sin posted:

It’s a rough landing when you touch down and one of your wheels wants to keep flying.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Tyrg8FlHE/?igshid=f4hlwbew0rr

"Sorry, this page isn't available.
The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed. Go back to Instagram."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah that's a rough landing page all right

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I guess I finally have a horrible mechanical failure to contribute. After buying a 2005 Forester XT from a fellow goon and driving it over 150 miles home, for the past week I've been alternating between driving it and my 2013 Impreza so I have the option of getting used to driving stick and driving when I don't want to fuss with it. On my way to work while driving the Forester, I hit some boost to pass someone before getting off the Parkway. When I get to a stoplight, I notice an odd smell that I didn't recognize; definitely not the smell of a burnt clutch or the exhaust. Since nothing else seemed out of the ordinary and I only had a few miles to go, I keep on driving. When I finally pull into my parking space, I'm shocked to see white smoke wafting out from under the hood and begin to freak out. My heart sinks when (because it was raining) I see an oil slick emanating from beneath the engine bay and am greeted with motor oil sprayed all over the turbo side of the engine bay with a nice coat on the hood interior, top of the strut tower, and all over the turbo heat shield.

Unable to determine where the leak had come from, I enlist the help of a coworker more familiar with turbo Subarus but even he's stumped beyond determining that there is no risk of a fire. While I was doing my work, I began to formulate a plan to hire a flatbed truck to transport it to a Subaru specialty shop 30 miles away. Then, another coworker tells me that the company has a well equipped workshop and trained auto techs (the company builds and services ambulances and emergency service vehicles) and I should enlist their help through my supervisor. After all was said and done, the tech and I take a closer look at the car and, after idling the engine for a few seconds, find that the leak was coming from the oil return line from the turbo in addition to finding out that the dip stick was dry. :ohdear:

The tech eventually takes the return line off and shows me the line completely cracked off of the fitting. (I don't know if that was how it was in the engine or it broke off when he took the line off) While it's going to take a little longer to get it fixed since new parts have to be ordered, at least this hasn't turned into as big of a money sink as I was initially expecting. That said, the dry dipstick has me worried. Hopefully, I can get the car working under its own power again and drive it to the shop for a more comprehensive inspection in addition to modifying the exhaust so that it can pass NJ inspection.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Did you notice if the low oil pressure light came on? If it didn't you're fine, the dipstick is conservative.

That's a lucky place to have a break! It'll be an easy fix. Learning to diagnose issues by yourself on the side of the road can be a very valuable skill, it can help you avoid, say, destroying all your bearings in a case like this.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Yeah, no lights or obviously funny noises so that's good to hear. That being said, I couldn't really depend on sound to notice something was wrong unless it was obvious since I had the stereo running loud as the car drones while cruising between 70-80 mph in 5th gear. Yet another reason I need to get the exhaust redone.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Leaking some oil, you're OK. When you should be really worried is when it stops leaking oil. That means you're empty.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It didn't let the knock knock jokes out, the oil light didn't come on either. You're (probably) okay.

As others said, drat good place to break down. If the engine did run dry at some point, you'll know pretty quickly after the repair. It's a Subaru, they come with 3x more knock knock jokes built in than any other make, and the knock knock joke trap door spring is a lot weaker than a Toyotas. :v:

NoWake posted:

Leaking some oil, you're OK. When you should be really worried is when it stops leaking oil. That means you're empty.

THIS. I get real worried if there's not a fist-sized puddle under my car.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Edward IV posted:

I guess I finally have a horrible mechanical failure to contribute. After buying a 2005 Forester XT from a fellow goon and driving it over 150 miles home, for the past week I've been alternating between driving it and my 2013 Impreza so I have the option of getting used to driving stick and driving when I don't want to fuss with it. On my way to work while driving the Forester, I hit some boost to pass someone before getting off the Parkway. When I get to a stoplight, I notice an odd smell that I didn't recognize; definitely not the smell of a burnt clutch or the exhaust. Since nothing else seemed out of the ordinary and I only had a few miles to go, I keep on driving. When I finally pull into my parking space, I'm shocked to see white smoke wafting out from under the hood and begin to freak out. My heart sinks when (because it was raining) I see an oil slick emanating from beneath the engine bay and am greeted with motor oil sprayed all over the turbo side of the engine bay with a nice coat on the hood interior, top of the strut tower, and all over the turbo heat shield.

Unable to determine where the leak had come from, I enlist the help of a coworker more familiar with turbo Subarus but even he's stumped beyond determining that there is no risk of a fire. While I was doing my work, I began to formulate a plan to hire a flatbed truck to transport it to a Subaru specialty shop 30 miles away. Then, another coworker tells me that the company has a well equipped workshop and trained auto techs (the company builds and services ambulances and emergency service vehicles) and I should enlist their help through my supervisor. After all was said and done, the tech and I take a closer look at the car and, after idling the engine for a few seconds, find that the leak was coming from the oil return line from the turbo in addition to finding out that the dip stick was dry. :ohdear:

The tech eventually takes the return line off and shows me the line completely cracked off of the fitting. (I don't know if that was how it was in the engine or it broke off when he took the line off) While it's going to take a little longer to get it fixed since new parts have to be ordered, at least this hasn't turned into as big of a money sink as I was initially expecting. That said, the dry dipstick has me worried. Hopefully, I can get the car working under its own power again and drive it to the shop for a more comprehensive inspection in addition to modifying the exhaust so that it can pass NJ inspection.

Ah man holy crap! I was just about to text you yesterday to see how you were doing when I got caught up at work. At least it’s just the return line, which is a relatively easy fix. Like the guys above said, if the oil light didn’t come on you should be ok and like we talked about the other day, I don’t necessarily trust that dipstick anyway. Did the motor sound the same while you were idling it?

What does the exhaust need for NJ inspection? I thought you guys just did sniffer and gas cap check?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The only thing NJ inspection needs for that car is no CELs for a few days.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

NJ inspection involves an OBD scan and a visual inspection of the exhaust. I don't think there is a difference between new registrations and renewing inspections since I went through the same process when my Impreza was up for renewal. The process was a little different with the Forester since I took that one to a different state inspection facility and I didn't get to ride along in the passenger seat like when I did the Impreza. (They made everyone get out and had us wait in what was essentially an enclosed bus stop shelter.) I also don't know if the Eatontown facility where I took the Forester is more stringent than the Lakewood facility where I took the Impreza.

The tech that did the inspection said that he didn't see any cats on the exhaust and told me to come back with the stock exhaust which I don't have. So now until the end of the month to decide between either sourcing a stock exhaust and getting it installed, finding a private shop does inspections and aren't as stringent, or rework the existing exhaust so that it can pass inspection. Either way will involve spending money. I'm leaning more towards reworking the exhaust since I would imagine installing a legitimate cat would cost less than finding the stock exhaust and getting it installed unless the shop happens to have one lying around.

The Forester should be up and running by tomorrow afternoon and I'm planning on taking it to Precision Tuning in Spotswood to do the exhaust. I probably should have contacted them earlier in the week if I wanted stuff to get done on Saturday but I obviously had my hands full. Still, I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what can be done.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Drunk drivers are a failure right?

https://i.imgur.com/2293BE7.mp4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Fuckin launched that boulder

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
As you can see at the end, at least he left a note.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That's about the best landing you could hope for after that takeoff.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

wargames posted:

That was impressive.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Is that an Audi? 'Cause I kinda want a car that can hit a boulder so loving hard the boulder goes on to roll 40' and then total another car, yet the passenger compartment looks 100% intact.

How fast was that fucker going on that little residential road, 60-70?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
So I pulled the driveshaft out of my CR-V some time ago due to it making bad noises (video)...

Due to it having staked ujoints that Honda insists are unserviceable, I left it with my machinist, who finally got around to taking it apart to install the new u-joints I sourced. However...

I am very, VERY glad I pulled it when I did :stonklol:

He says that if we slapped it back together with the new u-joints it would probably run okay, but we're both in agreement that a new driveshaft is in order.

He didn't even charge me, saying "At least I got to bang on something. Been a while since I've gotten to do that. I feel a little... detensified. Is that a word? I'm going with it."

I do love my machinist :allears:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 14, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Elviscat posted:

Is that an Audi? 'Cause I kinda want a car that can hit a boulder so loving hard the boulder goes on to roll 40' and then total another car, yet the passenger compartment looks 100% intact.

How fast was that fucker going on that little residential road, 60-70?
BMW definitely, I think 4 series?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

wargames posted:

This is the opposite of a mechanical failure, it's an utter and amazing success. The driver is a complete failure however and should be removed from the road system for sure.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Edward IV posted:

NJ inspection involves an OBD scan and a visual inspection of the exhaust. I don't think there is a difference between new registrations and renewing inspections since I went through the same process when my Impreza was up for renewal. The process was a little different with the Forester since I took that one to a different state inspection facility and I didn't get to ride along in the passenger seat like when I did the Impreza. (They made everyone get out and had us wait in what was essentially an enclosed bus stop shelter.) I also don't know if the Eatontown facility where I took the Forester is more stringent than the Lakewood facility where I took the Impreza.

The tech that did the inspection said that he didn't see any cats on the exhaust and told me to come back with the stock exhaust which I don't have. So now until the end of the month to decide between either sourcing a stock exhaust and getting it installed, finding a private shop does inspections and aren't as stringent, or rework the existing exhaust so that it can pass inspection. Either way will involve spending money. I'm leaning more towards reworking the exhaust since I would imagine installing a legitimate cat would cost less than finding the stock exhaust and getting it installed unless the shop happens to have one lying around.

The Forester should be up and running by tomorrow afternoon and I'm planning on taking it to Precision Tuning in Spotswood to do the exhaust. I probably should have contacted them earlier in the week if I wanted stuff to get done on Saturday but I obviously had my hands full. Still, I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what can be done.

There is 100% a cat on that exhaust. It’s right off the turbo. Your tech probably didn’t know where to look. That car has passed multiple years of PA inspection which also requires a visual of the emissions equipment.

Here’s a pic of the downpipe when I installed it. You can see it’s in the same location as the stock primary one next to it.

In comparison a catless pipe would look like this:

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 14, 2020

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

OK. I figured there has to be a cat somewhere or else the exhaust would have been much more smelly than it already is. (There is a small hint of gas in the exhaust when it's idling even after a bit of driving but I don't know if that's normal or not.) I'll still give Precision Tuning a call and see what they suggest in terms of shops or facilities I should visit that know what they're doing. Considering how much of an ordeal it was for me to get to the Eatontown facility (I had a few embarrassing stalls including blocking two lanes of traffic while trying to negotiate a left turn.) so I want to make sure that it'll definitely pass.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 14, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

wargames posted:

Forza Horizon has taught me that's the proper way to take roundabouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Landscaper for that roundabout was probably all "tim, find me the biggest rock you can that we can plop there so that if a car hits it, it will stop and not pass through to injure people on the other side."