Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LifeSunDeath posted:

drat, what do you even do, dig it out?

I've seen a drill rig get into a similar predicament. The solution there was to get a gently caress-off massive bulldozer from a nearby mine and pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Steve French posted:

Not necessarily a mechanical failure but this guy was having a bad Monday

I can think of a few options time depending...

Build a ramp under the front axle

Empty the trailer out, add more air to the tires

I'm not a truck expert though, the only time i've seen the opposite was a truck getting stuck in a big underground loading area, he came in fully loaded and cleared everything, but when they unloaded him he ended up rubbing the ceiling conduits, pipes and such

So they had to take air out of his tires so he could JUST squeeze back out again

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I saw this happen in a retail center of all places (food service truck to a restaurant). Fucker high centered the trailer bad, and rocked it enough that the last set of wheels on the truck were a few inches in the air when he finally gave up (guessing he had a way to lock the 2 rear axles together?).

They had to get a heavy towing rig out. If he'd just stopped when he got stuck, a plain wrecker probably could have pulled him off of it (poo poo, a F350 with a strap probably could have pulled him off of it). But I watched him rock it back and forth for a good 10 minutes before he threw the door open screaming and otherwise angry AF.

e: that particular exit is signed as NO TRUCKS because trucks get high centered there so often. Even my Brokeback will scrape a little on that exit if I have a bunch of poo poo in it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 23, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd just call up winder towing and consider it done.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I stopped at chatted with the driver for a bit. This was his first day on this job site, missed the turn onto the main forest road back to the highway and ended up instead on the old forest road that parallels it. In the second photo in the background you can see a water truck that couldn't get through because the logging truck was stuck, the driver of that had gone to get help.

Memento posted:

I've seen a drill rig get into a similar predicament. The solution there was to get a gently caress-off massive bulldozer from a nearby mine and pull.

funny you say that, the driver of the water truck apparently just happened to have a bulldozer up the road. So he had left to go get that. There's no way the logging truck was going to be able to continue down the road; he was gonna need to back up. So I don't know if their plan was to chain up the dozer to the truck and pull from behind, or what. Can't imagine things would go well if it pushed from the front.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Beach Bum posted:

I was subscribed to this channel (probably from one of the AI chat thread YT sub exchanges) but I have only just now started watching some of the videos. As someone who firmly believes automatic transmissions are black magic, this kind of stuff is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiV3cUG2N-o

On top of being the fastest teardown in the west, this guy's phone ring right as the carnage is revealed was so perfect I didn't realize it wasn't an audio cue, despite hearing the same ringtone earlier in the video :discourse:

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

xzzy posted:

I'd just call up winder towing and consider it done.

It’s like ships - you just abandon it and the insurer sells it to some Dutch guys with a big crane on a barge on wheels.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvSVMbtW6B4

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I like Fieros. That... not so much.

"What would it take to get you into this car?"
"Mental illness."

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
That fiero has a bigger chin than Jay.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That was pretty good, dude was a good sport.

~fashion maven~

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/avzO3jd_460svav1.mp4

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
https://i.imgur.com/CKdzWOz.mp4

fins fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 27, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I wouldn't have expected those to get hot enough to need water cooling.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
They should have gotten a new gasket when they changed the fluid out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I thought it was let the "smoke" out.
Apparently we've been duped. Its magic Steam. Which in this case had bee condensed.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Godholio posted:

I wouldn't have expected those to get hot enough to need water cooling.

Funny enough some manufacturers are floating the idea of water cooling their electronics since the increased computing power needed for autonomous driving produces a lot of heat that needs to be dissipated.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lol I had the exact same thing on an F8 during pdi. The adaptive headlamp ecu sits in the front compartment and the bracket for it must have been misaligned cuz a clip for the trim above it had nicely punched a hole in the top of the ECU and the whole thing filled up with screenwash lol

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

piss tape is real

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Cross posting from the OSHA thread...

https://twitter.com/SinaZerbo/status/1276559857731153921?s=20

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Ok who farted?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Whatever the increased level is, I am sure it's not great, but not terrible.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

RALLY EVERY DAY
https://i.imgur.com/PwkHE6g.mp4

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Was this the one that he got pulled over by the cops for?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Should say "Abu Dhabi OR BUST".

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The moment you realize that is the spare tire (it's clean, and the dirty one is lashed down in the back) and they put it on with everything in that... configuration.
Do what you gotta to get home to the next stage.

edit: I just realized that the navigator is watching that tire to make sure it's still there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Adversity is what makes sports exciting.

Imagine if F1 handed out points to a team that lost a wheel and rejoined the race.

(point being, rally is the coolest)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Darchangel posted:

The moment you realize that is the spare tire (it's clean, and the dirty one is lashed down in the back) and they put it on with everything in that... configuration.
Do what you gotta to get home to the next stage.

edit: I just realized that the navigator is watching that tire to make sure it's still there.

Rally is such a strange sport, you roll your car, welp race isn't over, some lucky spectators can help you roll it back over so you can still get a time!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

xzzy posted:

Adversity is what makes sports exciting.

Imagine if F1 handed out points to a team that lost a wheel and rejoined the race.

(point being, rally is the coolest)

Unfortunately, FOM is a bunch of pussies and losing a wheel disqualifies you. Michael Schumacher would have continued the race with 3 wheels.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

LifeSunDeath posted:

Rally is such a strange sport, you roll your car, welp race isn't over, some lucky spectators can help you roll it back over so you can still get a time!

And someone gets to stand in the road to flag down cars do you all don't get run over! (At the rally I attend, this is the co-driver's job)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

Unfortunately, FOM is a bunch of pussies and losing a wheel disqualifies you. Michael Schumacher would have continued the race with 3 wheels.

The way the cars are constructed, they're undriveable on 3 wheels. The chassis tray would be on the ground, as seen in every race where a wheel was unsecured or even most badly flatted tires.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Don't you get disqualified if you lose a wheel hence putting the spare onto whatevers left so they can technically finish?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

sharkytm posted:

The way the cars are constructed, they're undriveable on 3 wheels. The chassis tray would be on the ground, as seen in every race where a wheel was unsecured or even most badly flatted tires.

Not really. They are really stiff. The biggest problem flat tires cause is when they rip apart and start ripping up the aero near the wheel. Schumacher's Ferrari was still going pretty fast despite only having 3 wheels.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

I dug out this related video for a Discord so you all get to enjoy it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EhYyIoUTvw&t=490s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

two best rally videos ever made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30dxrwd0Kss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iklEkUU9Slo

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I don't follow rally at all, but "up into the rear end in a top hat of Timo" is etched in my brain forever.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

WRC got 3000% more boring when Grunholm retired

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This one was new to me, it wasn't until I turned on the subtitles halfway through that I had the slightest inkling that it was English

"Check Engine light is on." "She's there anyway, I checked her" :lol:

Anyway let's not forget SAMIR YOU'RE GOING TO BREAK THE CAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9-voINFkCg

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

sirbeefalot posted:

I don't follow rally at all, but "up into the rear end in a top hat of Timo" is etched in my brain forever.

The look on his face and the fist gesture gets me every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cakesmith handyman posted:

Don't you get disqualified if you lose a wheel hence putting the spare onto whatevers left so they can technically finish?

Only if its underweight. Cars are weighed with spares and tools so if you leave a wheel behind you might be in a spot of bother......

The FIA have cracked down hard on cars exiting stages missing suspension and wheels and encourage the local police to pull over badly damaged cars to prevent them from continuing. Which TBH is more than fair - Unroadworthy cars with significant suspension missing are dangerous as gently caress to other road users

Even if I have come back to the service park with a control arms made from rope and tie downs, we use public roads and Joe Public would be pulled up and ordered off the road on sight - why should rally cars be different?