Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Safety Dance posted:

After about 500 miles of dealing with my rear end, the left spring on the saddle that came with my bike made A Noise the other day.

you know what they say about an unsprung mass of the rear end...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hah!

Elviscat posted:

Always good to see a beautiful example of fatigue crack propagation over time (shiny bit with the crystal structure visible) followed by rapid olastic failure of the remaining bit (the grainy part)

Looks like you can see the small incipient defect that kicked the whole thing off too, the little rusty notch right at the top.

You just gave me a "well I'm not gonna break it any worse" moment, so I disassembled the saddle. It's an interesting crack in 3 dimensions (to my eyes, at least).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Oh wow, yeah, the 3d elements of that didn't come out at all in the first picture (to my eyes)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elviscat posted:

Looks like you can see the small incipient defect that kicked the whole thing off too, the little rusty notch right at the top.

Nah, but we do see it in the lower left of the first photo.

Sorry.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

from the Bathurst 1000 yesterday

I guess I make fun of Nascar for not even having doors that open but tomorrow a Cleetus type will be gloating about how much smarter he is after all

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

sarcastx posted:

from the Bathurst 1000 yesterday

I guess I make fun of Nascar for not even having doors that open but tomorrow a Cleetus type will be gloating about how much smarter he is after all

That made me laugh seeing that. Car probably cost a million bucks to put together and you can't even keep the door shut? Just weld him in there.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Just taking inspiration from the GT40.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Just take the solution from Roadkill and slap a barn door toggle on there.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96ccZlvcifA

The brakes at 0:55 :stonk:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

not really room for wheel travel since they're directly under the bumper now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That might hamper its off-roading abilities.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Supposedly this was a parking brake failure. Also, nobody died.

https://youtu.be/klDe8iNwwxs

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

As someone who was looking to do that road next year, :stare:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Tokyo Drift remake looking interesting.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

these gopro montages are getting out of hand

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Impending failure from the OSHA thread

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

`Nemesis posted:

My dude, just rent the truck for $20.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

Sometimes I wonder how realistic beamng.drive is

turns out, pretty realistic.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

Only survived because she was ejected (I’m guessing early on), although with serious injuries.

This is on my bucket list of bike routes

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

`Nemesis posted:

I hauled nearly a thousand pounds of concrete, cement blocks, and pressure treated 6x6s home in the passenger seat and on the roof of my 00 Forester once, but that prius doesn't look like it's going to make it far. How many pounds of brick in a pallet?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Quick google says maybe 500 pounds

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Maybe 500 bricks...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cojawfee posted:

Bricks are ~4 pounds each. You think there's only 125 bricks in a pallet? In a layer, maybe

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Memento posted:

Bricks are ~4 pounds each. You think there's only 125 bricks in a pallet? In a layer, maybe

I thought bricks were a kilo. Usually go for 20k.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A standard pallet is 48" x 40" and an average brick is about 8" x 3.5" x 3.5". That gives us around 66 bricks per layer, 330 lb at nominally 5 pounds per brick. Three layers of a pallet would exceed a Prius' rated load even before accounting for the driver.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LifeSunDeath posted:

I thought bricks were a kilo. Usually go for 20k.

where are you paying 20k? My last dude was charging double that. We had to seriously step on it to make any money.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Memento posted:

where are you paying 20k? My last dude was charging double that. We had to seriously step on it to make any money.

Tony Montana is my plug.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Memento posted:

You’re getting hosed on the exchange rate mate

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
loving Australia tax getting me on everything

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cojawfee posted:

No, google says 500 bricks per pallet, with the pallet being 1500-2000 pounds. That's going to be a very short pallet too, likely no more than 3-4 ft high. In the trucks, they'll probably be double stacked with something a bit lighter on top to make full use of the space. (sidenote: I hate when the warehouse double stacks pallets without taking into consideration the fact that bay doors aren't always as tall as the truck... PITA taking a forklift into a trailer with a roll-up to break them)

From someone who works in a grocery store and sees the pallets coming in... for comparison, a pallet of potato chips is still nearly 300 pounds. A pallet of cereal is around 800. Pallet of water is heavier than some cars (close to 3000 lbs). I would bet a pallet of bricks is heavier than water, but it's likely a much shorter pallet too. Pallets of soil are ~1500 lbs and <4 ft high.

I'm surprised that cute little tiny power jack could handle it. Those are usually rated for 3k, there's no way that was a full pallet. The beefier ones we use at the store level are typically rated for 5000-6000, and they struggle when they're pulling 4k.

I've seen a 2nd gen Prius loaded with ~1k before (Amazon Prime Now, coworker delivered a shitload of water that someone wanted right the gently caress now), it was squatting a bit, but not nearly like that.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 22, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Only survived because she was ejected (I’m guessing early on), although with serious injuries.

This is on my bucket list of bike routes

THE TWO DOGS WERE UNINJURED!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The bricked Prius reminds me of being a teenager, filling a Jeep Grand Cherokee with 200k miles full of bricks from the front seats back, and driving it on the suspension bump-stops about 15 miles.

For some odd reason the tranny vomited all its fluid up when we did that, so we filled it with Lucas Stop-Leak, and kept driving it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flatbed operator helpfully demonstrates how strong parking pawls are.

https://i.imgur.com/nSzDqs7.gifv

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

xzzy posted:

What did he expect to happen?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

xzzy posted:

parking pawl

I've never heard that term before but I assumed it was some mechanism like that. If it breaks off, then throw away the whole car, right?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Chrpno posted:

I've never heard that term before but I assumed it was some mechanism like that. If it breaks off, then throw away the whole car, right?

The transmission, yes. In a Prius, probably a bit more complex, but still the transmission. It's why you always use the parking brake. The transmission pawl is the failsafe, not the other way around.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Chrpno posted:

It’s a bit of metal in the transmission that locks the gears when in park, it’s expensive to fix at a shop but really just cause you’ll have to drop the transmission and take it apart a bit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

`Nemesis posted:

It’s a bit of metal in the transmission that locks the gears when in park, it’s expensive to fix at a shop but really just cause you’ll have to drop the transmission and take it apart a bit.

Even so, it's usually a really beefy part. On a Ford truck transmission, it's like half an inch thick. I wonder what it looks like inside the Prius transaxle or if they even use one in lieu of some kind of ratcheting tooth setup.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

xzzy posted:

Why... I don't understand what the reason or the expected result was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Darchangel posted:

Why... I don't understand what the reason or the expected result was.

shake the car off like a pizza of a pizza peel