Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The rotating shifter jewel made me miss my old Ranger. :3:

Edit: And the headunit birth, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fifty Three posted:

The rotating shifter jewel made me miss my old Ranger. :3:

Edit: And the headunit birth, too.

I know two people that had 5 speed Rangers.

They both did that.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

My 5-speed doesn't.

I just had to remove the shift knob with a hammer though so stay tuned.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I know two people that had 5 speed Rangers.

They both did that.

So did mine, I had forgotten about that until I saw the clip. It was LOL-eriffic!

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Wait, AvE is a chud?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

He whines so much about safety culture and he's so performatively """""politically incorrect""""". I had enough from him when he went on a long anti-mask tirade earlier this year.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Safety Dance posted:

He whines so much about safety culture and he's so performatively """""politically incorrect""""". I had enough from him when he went on a long anti-mask tirade earlier this year.

That's when I unsubscribed

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I must have missed that

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i unsubbed when he decided to pretend to be a civil engineer and do an"analysis" video about that pedestrian bridge collapse in Florida, like, a day after it happened

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.
AvE was always incredibly, breathtakingly stupid in general - I remember a few years ago he "reviewed" a battery charger thinking it was a jump starter. I don't know why anybody ever took him seriously.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

bolind posted:

Actually the top of the towers broke off.

Messadiah posted:

Is that supposed to happen?

Memento posted:

That’s not very typical, I’d like to make that point.

I love you guys.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Footage of the Arecibo collapse:

https://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/arecibo/

The stuff starting at about 1:00 in video 1 is :captainpop:

I've played that map in Battlefield 4.
No, seriously, there's a map with a radio-telescope facility like Arecibo, but not as densely forested, and one of the things you can do it damage the towers enough to drop the transceiver, changing the map.

Heartbreaking to watch it happen in reality.

Memento posted:

That was sublime, thank you.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Some of the first vids I saw were ones where he was doing acid on a canoe trip and I thought that was pretty neat, but his schtick was so sexist and racist (more recently), and it's just grating to me now.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I started getting Poe's Law flags with some of the gun videos, like maybe he's not always being tongue-in-cheek.

Contrast with the first video I saw which was fixing a loose hammer with antifreeze and joking about 'mmm, sweet!'

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

AvE has always been, well, maybe not quite a chud but certainly a bit problematic. see this ruler he was selling right when his channel first started to get popular:

i'm sure someone will pop up to say "oh lol that's just how shop guys talk" and like, yes, that's true but it's still not okay. i knew a machinist who was extremely good at his job and generally quite friendly and helpful but oh boy you did not want to get him started on The Jews.

AvE also doesn't know what he's talking about half the time but he always presents himself as an authority and that is really abrasive.

the good quirky home machinist channel is This Old Tony.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
OOF

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yeah that guy sucks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That image right there is where he lost me forever. Not that I was a huge fan before it, but gently caress that poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This Old Tony is where you want to go for hobby machining videos. He never paints himself as an expert, he always tells you when he's not sure about something. He's great at video editing, his videos are entertaining and informative, and he also doesn't use slurs or offensive language.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Man that's some dodgy poo poo. Do you north americans really spell blonde without the e?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ili posted:

Man that's some dodgy poo poo. Do you north americans really spell blonde without the e?

I see it with and without in roughly equal proportions in the southern and mid-Atlantic US.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Jesus who on earth has an imperial ruler? He's a Canuck right? Aren't those people a metrics people

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I've been told that men are blond and women are blonde. Personally, I just don't type that word out very often despite being blond(e) myself.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Safety Dance posted:

I've been told that men are blond and women are blonde. Personally, I just don't type that word out very often despite being blond(e) myself.

This is one of those

"Native speakers don't realise untill it's pointed out" thing, like bring vs take

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Holey moley.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Midjack posted:

That image right there is where he lost me forever. Not that I was a huge fan before it, but gently caress that poo poo.

Serious question, what’s wrong with the image? The oval office hairs?

Edit: or is it the 8” mark at 2-7/8”?

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

charliemonster42 posted:

Serious question, what’s wrong with the image? The oval office hairs?

:rolleyes:

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Thanks for the constructive feedback and response to my question!

But seriously - what am I missing about the image?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Jestery posted:

This is one of those

"Native speakers don't realise untill it's pointed out" thing, like bring vs take

It's a lingering thing from stealing a bunch of French words. Some style guides point out they are gendered but most people don't bother very much any more. The fun thing is Americans tend to go with blond and the UK fucks it up with blonde. Although you find some exceptions in both places.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The only AvE videos I can stand are the ones with his wife in them, because not only does he tone down the clickbait personality into something resembling human, but his wife is also a hell of a lot smarter than he is and lays out some sick burns on his rear end.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 5, 2020

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

his wife is also a hell of a lot smarter than he is

But who isn't, really.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

charliemonster42 posted:

Thanks for the constructive feedback and response to my question!

But seriously - what am I missing about the image?

That particular word makes (some?) septics real real mad. Dunno about Canadians as I've only met two (both sheilas) and they didn't give a warm gently caress about it, might not be a representative sample but. The rest of the word nobody gives a toss but we need to remember that most yanks are incapable of understanding that other countries even exist let alone have different ways of talking, and also love nothing more than imposing their own cultural standards on everyone else.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

ili posted:

That particular word makes (some?) septics real real mad. Dunno about Canadians as I've only met two (both sheilas) and they didn't give a warm gently caress about it, might not be a representative sample but. The rest of the word nobody gives a toss but we need to remember that most yanks are incapable of understanding that other countries even exist let alone have different ways of talking, and also love nothing more than imposing their own cultural standards on everyone else.

:qqsay:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jestery posted:

Jesus who on earth has an imperial ruler? He's a Canuck right? Aren't those people a metrics people

I’ve never even seen a proper machinists scale delineated in metric. The US is still firmly un-metricified, though that’s changing at the heavy industry and durable goods levels.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

ili posted:

The real irony is the person seemingly most upset about it also has flair with animated confederate memes about general Shermans scorched earth as he plowed through the south, but we definitely need to be most upset and offended about the usage of the word “oval office”. I’d call him a oval office but, to quote jimmy carr, he lacks the depth, warmth, and the capacity to provide pleasure.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

ili posted:

Holy gently caress pull up thread.

MrYenko posted:

I’ve never even seen a proper machinists scale delineated in metric. The US is still firmly un-metricified, though that’s changing at the heavy industry and durable goods levels.

I had a nice Starrett(?) At work that was a standard EEU 12", with metric on one edge of both sides.

E:

charliemonster42 posted:

The real irony is the person seemingly most upset about it also has flair with animated confederate memes about general Shermans scorched earth as he plowed through the south, but we definitely need to be most upset and offended about the usage of the word “oval office”. I’d call him a oval office but, to quote jimmy carr, he lacks the depth, warmth, and the capacity to provide pleasure.

Jesus loving christ, if you can't see something wrong with measuring things in units of "women's pubic hair" I don't know what to loving tell you.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

charliemonster42 posted:

This derail is probably not where you actually want to go.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Godholio posted:

This derail is probably not where you actually want to go.

You’re right - I’m not trying to get banned for trying to parse out why someone has a different sense of humor. I just find it amusing that people get wrapped that far around the axle about a word on a ruler in a YouTube video made by a Canadian millwright/millwright adjacent person who makes money by being a bit blue. None of what he says would be amiss on any job site.

Edit:

Elviscat posted:

Jesus loving christ, if you can't see something wrong with measuring things in units of "women's pubic hair" I don't know what to loving tell you.

Like this. It’s a joke that’s been around as long as there have been machinists. In fact, I first heard it from my old boss while we were installing office furniture of all things. Let’s not all get high and mighty about what words are and are not inappropriate on something awful of all places.

Double edit: I’m really stoked about the avatar, actually. I’ve been wanting to get rid of my old signature that 18 year old me thought was the height of comedy, but never enough to actually spend the money on it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

charliemonster42 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 5, 2020

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment
So sensitive up in here, Christ. AVE rules

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

wontondestruction posted:

So sensitive up in here, Christ. AVE rules

Careful, you’ll end up with an avatar. Somebodies upset and has mommies credit card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

charliemonster42 posted:

Careful, you’ll end up with an avatar. Somebodies upset and has mommies credit card.

hahaha YUP