Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

ratbert90 posted:

In Boise it's closer to 40 than 45. And again, 99% of the time I catch up to them and wave because all they have done is waste more gas and get to the stop light/sign faster than me.

What point are you trying to get across? That you enjoy driving 7+mph slower than everyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What I find interesting is that, in urban areas, where you're more likely to risk hitting a kid or something, people seem to be obsessed with doing five over, and crawl all over your bumper if you do the limit, overtaking at the first opportunity.

Then these same people get in the way on fast, open roads, and even the ones who drive faster on the straights can't negotiate corners or roundabouts at much above walking pace. They also brake ridiculously early.

I've learnt to just sit at the limit in 30 zones, and if people want to tailgate me, gently caress 'em, it's not going to intimidate me.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

gently caress yes, the English countryside is full of those assholes. Nothing annoys me more than the drivers (usually 60-year-olds in Audis) who do 40-45mph regardless of the speed limit. It handily combines slowing down traffic with being dangerous to pedestrians every time you drive through a village. What's not to like?

edit for content: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37usyetQpcU

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 14, 2011

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
This guy is lucky t be alive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du8Rk7dwYJs

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Most cops. I don't want to have a cop pull me over for going 3 over. It's happened before.

In what state will a speeding ticket for anything less then 5 over stand up? Because it's certainly not anywhere near me. Whether it's VASCAR or radar, it's considered too close to call. It's within the acceptable variation of your speedo.

So I'm gonna go ahead and call BS on this one (which either means it's made up, exaggerated, or you left out facts like you're the known pothead who gets harassed because of it)

ratbert90 posted:

It is not my fault people are angry, that is their fault and their fault only.

No, it isn't their fault only. Your aberrant behaviour is basically anti-social. Especially since you pretty clearly understand is aberrant. Not everyone deals with assholes as well as others. You are a huge contributing factor to this.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Wolfsbane posted:

edit for content: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37usyetQpcU

What the hell is he talking about with the battery causing a broken conrod? :confused:

Was it turbocharged and the ecu fried enough to make it run lean and pop or something?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Motronic posted:

In what state will a speeding ticket for anything less then 5 over stand up?

It usually won't - however, they can use that stop to find other charges to tack on. Such as DUI.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

It usually won't - however, they can use that stop to find other charges to tack on. Such as DUI.

A stop for a speeding ticket that won't stand up in court is very sketchy reasonable suspicion for a stop and search. Any competent defense attorney will have a field day with that. It's hardly worth the trouble unless you know you're pulling over someone who's going to end up with a public defender.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
A good friend of mine is former law enforcement...in Ohio at least its common practice to not even bother until someone is going more than 10 over the limit. I routinely set my cruise control at +10 over the posted limit and can blow by LEOs doing traffic duty with impunity. Unless you do something else to provoke them (swerving, not staying in your lane, not using turn signals, etc.) you're not going to be pulled over for only doing <5 over the limit in 99% of cases.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 14, 2011

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Geoj posted:

A good friend of mine in former law enforcement...in Ohio at least its common practice to not even bother until someone is going more than 10 over the limit. I routinely set my cruise control at +10 over the posted limit and can blow by LEOs doing traffic duty with impunity. Unless you do something else to provoke them (swerving, not staying in your lane, not using turn signals, etc.) you're not going to be pulled over for only doing <5 over the limit in 99% of cases.

Or at the end of the month when they suddenly start caring. Troopers might not care so much from what I heard about latetly in Ohio but the townships and cities sure do. at just about 5 over none of them care unless they think you're drunk but other then that they really don't. End of the month is always the best though. So many people get pulled over for just blazing.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Geoj posted:

A good friend of mine is former law enforcement...in Ohio at least its common practice to not even bother until someone is going more than 10 over the limit. I routinely set my cruise control at +10 over the posted limit and can blow by LEOs doing traffic duty with impunity. Unless you do something else to provoke them (swerving, not staying in your lane, not using turn signals, etc.) you're not going to be pulled over for only doing <5 over the limit in 99% of cases.
Yeah I used to live in Cuyahoga county. Every speeding ticket I've seen there comes with a little envelope to send in payment if possible and it lists the fines for different things. 1-7 over did not even have a fine associated with it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

In what state will a speeding ticket for anything less then 5 over stand up? Because it's certainly not anywhere near me. Whether it's VASCAR or radar, it's considered too close to call. It's within the acceptable variation of your speedo.
It sure is! And I challenged it and won, however, it didn't stop him from pulling me over because I was in a lovely CRX (stock, but lovely no less.) and give me poo poo. Cops here hate EF8/9/EG's.

quote:

No, it isn't their fault only.
Yes it is. They are the ones choosing to get upset, especially when I wave at them after I catch up to them a few seconds after they get to a stop light/sign. They are the ones choosing to be impatient; not me. I have cost them no time, and probably saved them gas if they follow me instead of tailgate and try to get around me.

quote:

Your aberrant behaviour is basically anti-social. Especially since you pretty clearly understand is aberrant.
Boohoo, if the social standard is to get to stop signs/lights faster and waste gas, I'm not going to adhere to those standards.

quote:

Not everyone deals with assholes as well as others. You are a huge contributing factor to this.

They need to learn how to deal with saving gas and not actually being inconvenienced at all.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

No, it isn't their fault only. Your aberrant behaviour is basically anti-social. Especially since you pretty clearly understand is aberrant. Not everyone deals with assholes as well as others. You are a huge contributing factor to this.
Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. If he's doing what he's saying and sticking to the speed limit, and only moving out of the rightmost (or, in the UK, leftmost) lane when he needs to pass someone, yes, people behind him getting upset can gently caress right off.

I can't say I like it when someone's in the third lane doing seventy, but if there are trucks in the two inner lanes, them's the breaks. If they don't pull back over once they're done overtaking, yeah, that's them being a twat, but I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

The fact that it's considered acceptable to speed by X amount, and everyone else is doing it, doesn't mean someone's being antisocial by not doing it.

The reason I get shirty with people is because they want to try and bully me into doing 40 in a 30, and yet they really don't like it when you come steaming up behind them on the twisties. What's wrong, kiddo, I thought you were in a hurry five minutes ago?

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Yes it is. They are the ones choosing to get upset, especially when I wave at them after I catch up to them a few seconds after they get to a stop light/sign make a passive aggressive gesture specifically for the purpose of upsetting them. They are the ones choosing to be impatient; not me. I have cost them no time, and probably saved them gas if they follow me instead of tailgate and try to get around me.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
In most places, riding three inches from someone's bumper is illegal. If you're doing something illegal in a fit of rage because I'm NOT doing something illegal, you're the one with the problem, and I hope my doing the speed limit today contributes to your eventual court-ordered anger management class. Doubly so if you're doing this when I'm in the slow lane on an otherwise empty freeway.

Just because a 3-over ticket is rare doesn't mean it won't happen, and sitting there for it is a good 10-15 minutes out of your day even if you get off with a warning.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
This whole page is a mechanical failure.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. If he's doing what he's saying and sticking to the speed limit, and only moving out of the rightmost (or, in the UK, leftmost) lane when he needs to pass someone, yes, people behind him getting upset can gently caress right off.

Of course no one in their right mind would give a drat on a road where they can pass, especially if he's staying out of the hammer lane but.......

ratbert90 posted:

They are the ones choosing to get upset, especially when I wave at them after I catch up to them a few seconds after they get to a stop light/sign.

I had made the assumption based on his attitude that we were getting only a selected portion of the story.

With this additional information, do you still disagree with me?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

Of course no one in their right mind would give a drat on a road where they can pass, especially if he's staying out of the hammer lane but.......

I had made the assumption based on his attitude that we were getting only a selected portion of the story.

What is wrong with waving? I do stay out of the left lane, If I go into the right lane I speed up, pass, and get back into the right lane. 99% of the people don't mind this at all, it's the 1% of the assholes who ride my rear end to get NOWHERE faster. I hate to break it to you, but they are the ones with the problem. I am following the rules of the road, they aren't.

I am not going to break the law just because everybody does it. Your mom and dad asked if all your friends jumped off a bridge would you do it? Well I sure as hell wouldn't. :colbert:

In other news, my brothers head is toast. The pistons smacked the valves so hard it dented the deck and would cost over 400$ to fix.

Going on monday to a pull a part for a newish head from a wrecked daewoo. 45$. :smug:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

B4Ctom1 posted:

This guy is lucky t be alive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du8Rk7dwYJs

Holy hell. I love that none of them really grasp the severity of what just happened.

And seriously, the cop/speeding derail is retarded.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Valt posted:

This whole page is a mechanical failure.

:words: :words: :words:

Guy's Trailblazer grenaded its transmission

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=22724

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Goober Peas posted:

:stare:

In only 19,000 miles?! Just when I thought I didn't have enough reasons to hate those trucks. Good lord. :ughh:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Z3n posted:

What the hell is he talking about with the battery causing a broken conrod? :confused:

Was it turbocharged and the ecu fried enough to make it run lean and pop or something?

From the OP's comments to the video: "The timing and injection didn't know where they were and when they should fire in relationship to the crank. Imagine having a spinning shaft and trying to pin-point a certain location in a precise manner?"

Most of the comments seem to be people calling this bullshit :)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wolfsbane posted:

From the OP's comments to the video: "The timing and injection didn't know where they were and when they should fire in relationship to the crank. Imagine having a spinning shaft and trying to pin-point a certain location in a precise manner?"

Most of the comments seem to be people calling this bullshit :)

Yeah...because that's not how engine electronics work.

Any loss of critical sensor input results in a no sprak situation (like loss of crank position sensor). Loss of less critical sensor input results in a limp home mode (loss of cam angle sensor in some cases) or at the very least retarded timing and other more conservative settings (like loss of a knock sensor).

Unless he's running this on some home-brew management system that was designed or built completely wrong.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.

Root Bear posted:

:stare:

In only 19,000 miles?! Just when I thought I didn't have enough reasons to hate those trucks. Good lord. :ughh:

The transfer box on my parents Range Rover grenaded itself at 90mph on the motorway. Only 9000 miles on the clock. Bad batch of casings, it kicked off a recall.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Friend just posted this on facebook, I think its a E30 but he also some old ford truck I think

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Goober Peas posted:

Glad to see that was an SS. My mom's Trailblazer is about to hit 100k and I was thinking "poo poo, is this what she has to look forward to?".

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

streetlamp posted:

Friend just posted this on facebook, I think its a E30 but he also some old ford truck I think

I've been hearing a clinking noise from the rear of my e36 for a while now, turns out it was a piece of broken spring rattling around. Not my picture, but basically the same type of spring and failure on an x3. It's apparently a common problem, on e46's as well.

No idea what I'm going to replace mine with, seems like my only options are 1) Junkyard/eBay springs that will also break in ? miles 2) $300+ ea. springs from the dealer that will break in ?+ miles 3) aftermarket lowering springs (I have no desire to lower my car). This is one of those times I wish I could just drop by Advance Auto and grab some passable $50 jobs, those don't exist for springs apparently.

Xy Hapu fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 15, 2011

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Does this count? Airbag goes off under hard driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpL4VwhYSE8&feature=player_embedded

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

tobu posted:

Does this count? Airbag goes off under hard driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpL4VwhYSE8&feature=player_embedded

That dude was doing some pretty poo poo donuts there. Must have been a V6.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Xy Hapu posted:

I've been hearing a clinking noise from the rear of my e36 for a while now, turns out it was a piece of broken spring rattling around. Not my picture, but basically the same type of spring and failure on an x3. It's apparently a common problem, on e46's as well.

No idea what I'm going to replace mine with, seems like my only options are 1) Junkyard/eBay springs that will also break in ? miles 2) $300+ ea. springs from the dealer that will break in ?+ miles 3) aftermarket lowering springs (I have no desire to lower my car). This is one of those times I wish I could just drop by Advance Auto and grab some passable $50 jobs, those don't exist for springs apparently.

The tapered BMW springs have a tendency to snap where it reduces down to the mount. When I replaced my rear coils, I took out 3 seperate chunks of spring.

The cheapest route is really aftermarket. BMW wanted 250/ea for the rears. I bought H&R OE Sports for 250 (for all 4 springs) shipped to my door. They really don't lower the car much either. On the E36 they are essentially the exact same height as the "sport" package springs. Still driveable in Nova Scotia winters.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 15, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Motronic posted:

A stop for a speeding ticket that won't stand up in court is very sketchy reasonable suspicion for a stop and search. Any competent defense attorney will have a field day with that. It's hardly worth the trouble unless you know you're pulling over someone who's going to end up with a public defender.
Nope. The standard for a stop is quite a bit lower than for a ticket.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

ratbert90 posted:

What is wrong with waving?
Besides the fact that it's passive-aggressive as gently caress? You gain nothing but the knowledge that you were just a prick to someone.

quote:

I am following the rules of the road, they aren't.
You're failing to recognize and follow the implicit rules, which, at best, makes you a sperg. Not every rule is written on paper.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Motronic posted:

I'm glad that after you JUST got off of a one week probation for making GBS threads up threads over dumb poo poo that you feel it necessary to revisit one of the scenes of your crime but please just shut the gently caress up.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

thelightguy posted:

Besides the fact that it's passive-aggressive as gently caress? You gain nothing but the knowledge that you were just a prick to someone.

So I should just speed up to avoid them tailgating me? I gain a lot by waving, I am showing them that they have gained NOTHING by tailgating and acting like a jackass.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

ratbert90 posted:

So I should just speed up to avoid them tailgating me? I gain a lot by waving, I am showing them that they have gained NOTHING by tailgating and acting like a jackass.

No, you're gaining some sick self-satisfaction by being a prick. You show them absolutely nothing. I promise, you remember the incident for more than the 15 minutes it lasts in their head.

Don't wave, don't speed up if you don't feel like it, but understand that you are far more likely to be involved in an accident because of your misguided dedication to a legal limit that is barely enforced.

corgski fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 15, 2011

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Post mechanical failures you stupid motherfuckers.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Z3n posted:

My first thought when he said it arced was that it instantly welded the big end to the crank with a joint stronger than the rod and that was the result. I don't even know if that's possible but it sounds cool :science:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
a bad battery terminal connection could MAYBE cause a misfire, but to blow out a rod like that there was either massive detonation, a lubrication failure of some sort, or if it's a rebuilt engine improper assembly (loose rod bolt or something).

MisterSparkle
Jan 16, 2004
banishes dirt to the land of wind and ghosts

sigtrap posted:

Post mechanical failures you stupid motherfuckers.

In an attempt to revive my thread:

my old FSAE team, out on a test day. Guess no one thought to crack test the ally hubs after the last race.

The ally hub is my design, but they modified it to include a 4140 steel CV housing instead of machining it into the aluminium, improved the lifetime of the CV faces. But obviously didn't think about the stud stresses or fatigue.

Ohwell.

MisterSparkle fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

Motronic posted:

spring purchases
It's called a spring perch. Like, what the spring perches on, or is perched upon. It is not a credit card for springs.