Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Whip cracks are mini sonic booms caused by the tip of the whip exceeding the speed of sound, so that's a possibility on the loud boom/crack! noise. Or maybe the cable striking the fuselage as it gets entangled in the rotor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I can't get the video to play in IE or Chrome :(

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j52THFeUtI

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
You're right, I'm clearly seeing a cable swing towards the main rotor, then poo poo happens.

Edit: The Youtube one is higher quality for me, and in the slow motion part it is quite visible now.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 23, 2011

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Bondematt posted:

You're right, I'm clearly seeing a cable swing towards the main rotor, then poo poo happens.

Looks like it might have got sucked in, you can see it slowly going towards the helicopter until the rotor catches it.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10768105

Looks like they suspect a cable too.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

You may or may not be able to view this one. Its from tv3 with a closer camera.

http://www.3news.co.nz/VIDEO-Auckland-chopper-crash---full-video/tabid/309/articleID/233804/Default.aspx

And http://www.3news.co.nz/Chopper-pilot-had-20-years-experience/tabid/309/articleID/233796/Default.aspx
They don't seem to have a official youtube channel so far.

And you can see a dude underneath the helicopter jumping up to disconnect the lifting cable as it happens.

Wibbleman fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 23, 2011

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
So it was descending to remove the lift cable and the lift cable hit the main rotor and turned it into a bad day for the pilot. Glad he was so low when it happened.

The high pitch whine at the end is just the engine running (and probably grinding against it's bearings) since it didn't get the message that it crashed, right?

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thank you sir.

Wow, the pilot actually ends up outside the aircraft for over a second. Probably messed up his pants pretty well.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Fire Storm posted:

The high pitch whine at the end is just the engine running (and probably grinding against it's bearings) since it didn't get the message that it crashed, right?

Pretty much.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah that turbine's death whine is pretty great. It's like "NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo whyyyyyyyyyygod"

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo.

Is the pilot being helped off at the end? Rotor system failures at speed usually result in snapped necks for all crew.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
It must be nice to be able to trivially decide that whatever you need to lift is ok for a helicopter instead of a crane.

Helicopter is rarely the proper answer.

Injured person? Helicopter.

Air conditioning unit on a building too high and a city too crowded for a crane? Helicopter.

(yes we have seen that video also not end well)

Injured animals in odd places. Helicopter.

Construction of a tree for a holiday which comes every year so it is not like they could not plan ahead of time? Crane.

Holding my wee while I take a piss if I were Richard Branson or Dietrich Mateschitz. Helicopter, then the right answer is do everything with a helicopter.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Yeah that turbine's death whine is pretty great. It's like "NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo whyyyyyyyyyygod"

haha, yeah it does.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is just disturbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjyINdn0Fn8

Hrrmph....that didn't work at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gjyINdn0Fn8

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 23, 2011

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Just put the entire url between the video tags, it'll sort it out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fayez Butts posted:

Just put the entire url between the video tags, it'll sort it out.

Yeah...that's not working. I got what you see there by just putting it between <video> tags. It added the type= and removed thge first part of the URL.

Odd...I just posted a video yesterday that same way and it worked.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
You need to remove the embedded player query from the url for it to parse correctly.

pre:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjyINdn0Fn8
leads to

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Longinus00 posted:

You need to remove the embedded player query from the url for it to parse correctly.

Herp, derp. Thanks.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
If you click on the share button it gives you a shortened URL.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

buttcrackmenace posted:

Rotor system failures at speed usually result in snapped necks for all crew.

Huh?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The response from the emergency crew of that drag strip is a little slow. I'd thought that marshalls would be jumping over the fence to shut that car down.

Plus pretty lovely work that the driver has no emergency shutdowns for the engine.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Huh?

The violent snapping and shaking back and forth of a helicopter with an imbalanced rotor due to failure is more than enough to snap necks easily. Think about it - the rotor is attached to the top of the box you're sitting in, spinning at fuckall RPM, and then it suddenly decides to, say, lose a blade.

It's like that video where a guy throws a brick into a dryer, but on a much larger scale.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

You Am I posted:

The response from the emergency crew of that drag strip is a little slow. I'd thought that marshalls would be jumping over the fence to shut that car down.

Plus pretty lovely work that the driver has no emergency shutdowns for the engine.

from what I read he was knocked out by the crash, and unconscious for most of what followed. Remote engine kill switch would be required to get anywhere.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Motronic posted:

This is just disturbing.

Hrrmph....that didn't work at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gjyINdn0Fn8

So what happened there? Did he get knocked out with the pedal to the metal? Broken throttle cable? ^^^Oh okay.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
yep. http://jalopnik.com/1969-firebird/

http://www.norcal1320.com/forums/showthread.php?s=5ec5db207bc366fd81e8326e2da8d34b&t=1191201864&page=2

Hell of a crash, I know I wouldn't want to go anywhere near that car to hit the killswitch with the throttle wide open.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
drat, I didn't realize he locked the front wheels himself before he went into the wall (after which he was unconscious). Pretty awesome.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Jesus christ.. If he hadn't locked the front brakes, the damage it could have caused had it gone back the other way down the track would have been absolutely horrific.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Bondematt posted:

I'm not sure if he caught a cable or just tried to lift something too heavy. The entire airframe seems to have failed though, so my bet is on too heavy.

Engineer opinion here: suddenly jamming the rotor overhead will cause huge torsional accelerations through the hele frame. When you have a tail rotor trying to prevent that (i.e: creating a force to oppose it) you're going to see huge bending forces through the tail. I'm not surprised it buckled.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah the motor tore it's way out of the airframe first. Hey, not sure if it counts as mechanical failure or not but I have some pictures of automotive press dies that have been left in the elements for 12 years & now need to run. I'll get them of my phone if anyones interested?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Cakefool posted:

Yeah the motor tore it's way out of the airframe first. Hey, not sure if it counts as mechanical failure or not but I have some pictures of automotive press dies that have been left in the elements for 12 years & now need to run. I'll get them of my phone if anyones interested?

I am interested! And if they are really bad, I'd love pics of the restoration process. Very curious as to what parts are needed again after 12 years.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Restoration is in progress, I'll keep you informed over the coming week.

Background is these dies make the B-pillar reinforcement for a mid-90's EU hatchback, one set makes the 3-door, the other the 5-door. Final stock buildout happened years ago for these parts but someone hosed the maths up, or the owners are dumb enough to keep repairing them so we ran out of parts.

Cue the call to 'press another 5 panels please'

Cue us pissing ourselves laughing

'No really why are you laughing? can we have them by the end of the week?'

More laughing. See, these dies, when 'retired' & if not taken by the European parts centre, get lobbed outside onto a strip of tarmac. This happened like 12 years ago, so this is the general state of things:

All mixed up, no great order or reason to them. Anyway, the dies we need are pretty small, approx 5T each, 3 dies to a set, each set makes both the left & right hand parts for the relevant vehicle. So, lets crack one of these things open & see if the thick coat of grease preserved the chrome of the draw dies:
[
W1, lower, the stationary part.
[
W1 Pad, the bit that gets compressed on Nitrogen springs when the panel draws.
[
W1 Upper
Well that looks pretty good(3 door), what about 5 door?

[
Oh poo poo. Well, let's concentrate on the 3 door, get one out of the way at a time...
[

Right, so 1 out of the 6 dies looks like it's okay. it took a lot of beating to separate the pads, basically you hang the die from a crane & beat on it with mallets until it gives up. Opening these dies was hours of work. The next step is to polish the rust off until you get back to good chrome. Problem is we don't have good chrome anymore so we'll polish back to non-rusty steel, piss oil all over it & hit the panels once at a time.

Also, the nitrogen spring systems will need a complete overhaul, but we can't get around that. We'll cap them off, gas it up & see if it holds. If so we'll hit, check pressure & hit again. For the 10 parts each we're making this is good enough. Technically the 'restoration' is a hack job due to cost. We just need to get a few off in adequate condition, not get it running at 25 strokes per minute in a transfer press. I'll keep you updated as we get on it.

edit: Sorry for the fuzzy photos, oil is everywhere inside the press shop, I seem to have it on my phone lens. I'll try to get better photos in future.
Also, we have 400+ of these dies just rotting away.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 20, 2018

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Background is these dies make the B-pillar reinforcement for a mid-90's EU hatchback, one set makes the 3-door, the other the 5-door. Final stock buildout happened years ago for these parts but someone hosed the maths up, or the owners are dumb enough to keep repairing them so we ran out of parts.

Are you going to all this trouble for just 5 parts? Can't imagine it is that cost effective. I assume you work for a manufacturer or OEM and have a requirement to supply spare parts for X years?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

We'll press 10-20 of each. Yes, we're a manufacturer. Funnily enough we're past the legal requirement to supply parts, it's more a corporate desire to please the customer thing.

Edit: not counting labour, making 20 of each piece will/has already cost us 50 bucks per piece.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 25, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
While that is admirable in its own way, they seem to be missing the fact that, as a maker of new cars, pleasing a "customer" who self-evidently isn't a customer of new cars serves little business purpose.

On Facebook a while back, someone posted "What's the difference between ignorance and indifference?" (The old "I don't know and I don't care" joke).

My answer was "A sales department and an engineering department".

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Cakefool posted:

Cue us pissing ourselves laughing

'No really why are you laughing? can we have them by the end of the week?'

More laughing. See, these dies, when 'retired' & if not taken by the European parts centre, get lobbed outside onto a strip of tarmac. This happened like 12 years ago, so this is the general state of things:

All mixed up, no great order or reason to them. Anyway, the dies we need are pretty small, approx 5T each, 3 dies to a set, each set makes both the left & right hand parts for the relevant vehicle. So, lets crack one of these things open & see if the thick coat of grease preserved the chrome of the draw dies:

W1, lower, the stationary part.

W1 Pad, the bit that gets compressed on Nitrogen springs when the panel draws.

W1 Upper
Well that looks pretty good(3 door), what about 5 door?

Oh poo poo. Well, let's concentrate on the 3 door, get one out of the way at a time...

Right, so 1 out of the 6 dies looks like it's okay. it took a lot of beating to separate the pads, basically you hang the die from a crane & beat on it with mallets until it gives up. Opening these dies was hours of work. The next step is to polish the rust off until you get back to good chrome. Problem is we don't have good chrome anymore so we'll polish back to non-rusty steel, piss oil all over it & hit the panels once at a time.

Also, the nitrogen spring systems will need a complete overhaul, but we can't get around that. We'll cap them off, gas it up & see if it holds. If so we'll hit, check pressure & hit again. For the 10 parts each we're making this is good enough. Technically the 'restoration' is a hack job due to cost. We just need to get a few off in adequate condition, not get it running at 25 strokes per minute in a transfer press. I'll keep you updated as we get on it.

edit: Sorry for the fuzzy photos, oil is everywhere inside the press shop, I seem to have it on my phone lens. I'll try to get better photos in future.
Also, we have 400+ of these dies just rotting away.

Ugh. There is nothing worse then trying to recomission old equipment. I contract for a tire manufacturer and we just did a project restoring equipment that had been sitting in another decomissioned factory for 10 years. While it wasn't as badly rusted as that, about half the parts were robbed and they simply cut all the pneumatic lines. Throw in having to retrofit it with modern safety devices and it makes you want to shoot yourself.

Someday I will do engineering for a company that only uses new equipment.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Crustashio posted:

Someday I will do engineering for a company that only uses new equipment.

Moving to china? :v:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

InitialDave posted:

While that is admirable in its own way, they seem to be missing the fact that, as a maker of new cars, pleasing a "customer" who self-evidently isn't a customer of new cars serves little business purpose.
Making customers happier makes far more money long term than forcing someone to buy a new product before they want to, even if you could somehow guarantee they'd buy your product.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I can remember doing environmental sampling in the old Mitsubishi factory in Adelaide a few years ago and seeing them getting the old dies out for the Magna's to make a stack more panels before they shut up shop- same with the 380's.

Thats was a depressing place- the whole assembly section was shut down and cleared out and it was only the press shop and basic assembly shops still working, but everyone knew they were only on borrowed time at that stage.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

The person who buys this repair panel for a 15yr old car was never going to buy a new car from us period. All told I'll guess this fiasco will end up costing the same (to produce) as 1 or 2 new cars. The benefit will be 40 people who say to their friends "oh yeah, manufacturer were able to make my baby as good as new" difficult to measure I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Cakefool posted:

The person who buys this repair panel for a 15yr old car was never going to buy a new car from us period. All told I'll guess this fiasco will end up costing the same (to produce) as 1 or 2 new cars. The benefit will be 40 people who say to their friends "oh yeah, manufacturer were able to make my baby as good as new" difficult to measure I suppose.

Pans over, wheel falls off.

"My baby!"