Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Kill-9 posted:

I don't think anyone sets out to intentionally taste gear oil. It just drips into their mouth right at the moment they open it to ask for another wrench. Cue spitting/coughing/cursing fit for the next 5 minutes.

I'd rather gargle with gear oil than ever have to deal with gasoline burps six hours later ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

13 INCH DICK posted:

I'd rather gargle with gear oil than ever have to deal with gasoline burps six hours later ever again.

words of a man who has never tasted ford friction modifier.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

13 INCH DICK posted:

I've never been that desperate for a drink.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

words of a man who has never tasted ford friction modifier.

I actually really like the smell of gear oil and friction modifier. The last time this was brought up I mentioned I've been saving a giant ball of cat hair to roll around in it before lighting the whole mess on fire and I believe I was compared unfavorably to Pol Pot.

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.

13 INCH DICK posted:

As extra credit on my final in Engine Performance I, the instructor had us do a blind taste test on various fluids. Motor oil, ATF, various gear oils, coolant, and brake fluid. You dipped you finger in a cup of the fluid and licked it. You got an extra 1% for every fluid you identified by taste. Gear oil tastes awful, but brake fluid tastes the worst.

His justification was that when working under a car, it's faster to ID a fluid by taste.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

heyou posted:

As extra credit on my final in Engine Performance I, the instructor had us do a blind taste test on various fluids. Motor oil, ATF, various gear oils, coolant, and brake fluid. You dipped you finger in a cup of the fluid and licked it. You got an extra 1% for every fluid you identified by taste. Gear oil tastes awful, but brake fluid tastes the worst.

His justification was that when working under a car, it's faster to ID a fluid by taste.

The justification was that it was loving hilarious to have you all voluntarily do that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Never taste brakleen, that poo poo burns like a mother fucker. This was not an intentional discovery.

I honestly don't mind the feeling of brake fluid on my hands (hell, it dissolves grease and oil and makes them somewhat soluble in water... anything that makes washing my hands easier is cool by me) but it does in fact taste terrible.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

heyou posted:

So he had you all taste a bunch of chemicals all containing known carcinogens?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Seat Safety Switch posted:

poo poo, I didn't know one kind was safer for dogs and cats. I'm gonna definitely look for that next time I buy coolant (which is often because I own a Subaru).

It's functionally impossible to seriously poison yourself with propylene glycol by accident, and they put it in dog food. Still no es bueno for cattes though, but they're not really attracted to it like dumb dogs are. They put it in lipstick even, which is great because it gets the crazies going on about TOXINS.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Armacham posted:

Lawsuit time!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Armacham posted:

I bet the diet sodas were the hardest part of the test. Coke or Pepsi? gently caress. It seems like nobody worries about carcinogens in their food, drink and air other than the flavor of the week media-popular ones, so who cares? The amount of things that contribute to vulnerability to one of the thousands of cancer flavors is staggering enough to simply ignore.

Plus it's actually pretty valuable information, and if you gotta taste a tidbit of nasty poo poo to learn something valuable, welp, at least it's not LD50 baselining. v:v:v

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Splizwarf posted:

I bet the diet sodas were the hardest part of the test. Coke or Pepsi? gently caress. It seems like nobody worries about carcinogens in their food, drink and air other than the flavor of the week media-popular ones, so who cares? The amount of things that contribute to vulnerability to one of the thousands of cancer flavors is staggering enough to simply ignore.

Plus it's actually pretty valuable information, and if you gotta taste a tidbit of nasty poo poo to learn something valuable, welp, at least it's not LD50 baselining. v:v:v

There's a big difference between the cancer risk of artificial sweeteners (of which there is no recognized risk in humans, only rats: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/artificial-sweeteners )and that of petroleum distallates, as well as the various other nasty things in brake fluid and the other chemicals mentioned.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
..and to think I've been using Goo Gone as a sweetener for years with no ill effects. :biotruths:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
[automotive fluid tasting bonanza]

And here I was thinking it was common sense to keep my mouth closed while working around my cars' fluids.

You people are weird :raise:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Beach Bum posted:

[automotive fluid tasting bonanza]

And here I was thinking it was common sense to keep my mouth closed while working around my cars' fluids.

You people are weird :raise:

I can't swear through my nose.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I must say, I prefer the taste of diesel to gas :colbert:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

CommieGIR posted:

B100 tastes like crayons.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My wife caught a random piece of debris in the windshield today. Thankfully it did not do worse than ruin the glass. At least the replacement is not too expensive.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

This man speaks truth. And that made me laugh more than it really should have, I expect.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

My grunts and guttural caveman vocalizations are quite enough for my purposes. When I absolutely have to cuss the car the right way I make sure it's not going to be able to give me a mouth shot counterattack :colbert:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cursedshitbox posted:

stay away from the parts stores ones, they kinda suck and are way over priced.
I've had pretty good luck with GMB water pumps.

If you guys ever need any rover parts shipping over from the motherland then feel free to shout!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah. A water pump for a V8 is £30-£50 here.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
a few weeks too late. coulda got a clutch from you guys for 1/2 of what I paid here. :v:

so uhh d110 can be taken apart and shipped in little boxes right?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXtePW4v8zs

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

General_Failure posted:

I've never been that desperate for a drink.

I had a 600ml iced coffee carton sitting on a work bench one morning and one of my halfwit workmates overfilled a chainsaw and spilt two stroke on the bench under my iced coffee.

Didnt think much of it since it only spent 30 odd seconds there before I hauled it out, but the first mouthful nearly made me chunder from the unleaded that had soaked through the cardboard into the milk.

Petrol burps for a loving DAY afterwards.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

'A great natural energizing drink' (Oil drinking)

stone soup fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 13, 2013

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
One of the rear struts on this Lexus is bad, can you guess which one?

"I bought this truck not long ago and I get a bad clunking noise when I put in 4-wheel drive. Think it might need a u-joint or two."

:cripes:

E: This was just the right side. The left side u-joint was a bit worn as well, but still all there.

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 13, 2013

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I've always thought it'd be fun to make an antifreeze flavored snow cone. Just look at this and tell me it's a bad idea.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
How does that even happen to both U joints?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Root Bear posted:

"I bought this truck not long ago and I get a bad clunking noise when I put in 4-wheel drive. Think it might need a u-joint or two."

E: This was just the right side. The left side u-joint was a bit worn as well, but still all there.

Is that from a TTB setup?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

InitialDave posted:

Yeah. A water pump for a V8 is £30-£50 here.

I called all over town and the cheapest was $250. I got in touch with an parts shop I've had good luck with in the past and got one for $35/shipped. The Rangie is only driven 3-4K miles a year so that should hold it for at least 10 years if not longer.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

blugu64 posted:

I've always thought it'd be fun to make an antifreeze flavored snow cone. Just look at this and tell me it's a bad idea.

How ... will you freeze it?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Root Bear posted:

yikes. Just imagine that shaft bouncing in and out at double whatever speed the truck was moving.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

StormDrain posted:

yikes. Just imagine that shaft bouncing in and out at double whatever speed the truck was moving.

If the truck's moving the opposite wheel would still be spinning fron the ground moving underneath it, so it wouldn't get to double the indicated speed unless the truck was completely stuck. Otherwise it'd be double the difference between wheel speed and ground speed. Rolling on dry pavement in a straight line the two parts would be perfectly synced (within the margin of error of tire diameter and road surface variations).

edit: just had a thought, if when in 2WD the resistance to movement of the driveshaft, diff carrier, and front-drive parts of the transfer case exceed that of the broken axleshaft such that those parts did not rotate at all, the broken shaft could end up spinning the same speed backwards as the good wheel is spinning forwards. Beyond the noise that'd cause if it came in contact with the other part being spun by the wheel, I'd imagine that's not a good thing for any spider gear that happens to end up on the "top" out of the lube bath.

This is all assuming no or nonfunctional hublocks as well of course, if they're there and disengaged none of these bits will be "driven" through the road.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 13, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wasabi the J posted:

How ... will you freeze it?

Actually, undiluted ethylene glycol might not melt snow. Its pure melting point is 9 degrees F (~-13C); it works when diluted because the glycol interferes with the formation of ice crystals, and concurrently the water molecules interfere with the glycol freezing; basically they block each other.

If the ice is already frozen, though, and the glycol is cold enough, you could probably pour it on without significant melting.

This is something we should test, although I obviously can't because I live in Florida. Kastein perhaps? :v: e: Not that I'm saying you should eat it, mind you (this goes double for 13 INCH DICK).

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Fucknag posted:

Actually, undiluted ethylene glycol might not melt snow. Its pure melting point is 9 degrees F (~-13C); it works when diluted because the glycol interferes with the formation of ice crystals, and concurrently the water molecules interfere with the glycol freezing; basically they block each other.

If the ice is already frozen, though, and the glycol is cold enough, you could probably pour it on without significant melting.

This is something we should test, although I obviously can't because I live in Florida. Kastein perhaps? :v: e: Not that I'm saying you should eat it, mind you (this goes double for 13 INCH DICK).

If all else fails, use liquid nitrogen.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SyHopeful posted:

Is that from a TTB setup?

Nope, TTBs have a sort of formed sheetmetal inner knuckle/beam. That sure looks like an early 00s or so dodge fullsize pickup but I'm not 100% sure on that, I can't quite place where I've seen that unit bearing bolt pattern or axleshaft "shoulder" at the splines.

That guy is really god drat lucky he didn't have the shafts ride up on each other and separate his balljoints at speed. Holy loving poo poo. He should buy half a lottery ticket, he'd still win.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Any goons here that work in aircraft maintenance? I attended a little talk at work a couple of weeks ago that talked about how the designers took "maintenance" and "what is humanly possible" and no part exists in isolation" into account when designing systems, fastenings, plumbing, routing etc. It was all very interesting & they showed some cad walkthroughs of an engine mounted on a wing, maintenance doors opening, human arm and recommended tool comes into view, bolts & brackets get removed, parts come out & in again.

Basically is that how it is in real life?

I'm days late catching up on this thread, but after 20+ years of military and civil aviation maintenance, I have come up with a single rule of thumb that covers the whole gamut: Every part is 5% larger than the hole it's meant to go into or come out of.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Acid Reflux posted:

I'm days late catching up on this thread, but after 20+ years of military and civil aviation maintenance, I have come up with a single rule of thumb that covers the whole gamut: Every part is 5% larger than the hole it's meant to go into or come out of.

Including all fasteners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

kastein posted:

Nope, TTBs have a sort of formed sheetmetal inner knuckle/beam. That sure looks like an early 00s or so dodge fullsize pickup but I'm not 100% sure on that, I can't quite place where I've seen that unit bearing bolt pattern or axleshaft "shoulder" at the splines.

That guy is really god drat lucky he didn't have the shafts ride up on each other and separate his balljoints at speed. Holy loving poo poo. He should buy half a lottery ticket, he'd still win.

This was a 2001 Ford F350 HD. The kind with the vacuum actuated auto-locking hubs, as evident by the giant vacuum seal on the outer flange:

The loose outer shaft also pulverized the roller bearings on the inside of the hub bearing assembly and the grease fitting was sheared clean off of the upper ball joint. No idea how this didn't cause some kind of horrible catastrophe.