Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

The Germans are masters of miniaturization.

This is the truth. They reduced like 20 million people in the 30s and early 40s!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DefaultPeanut posted:

Horrible engineering failure?

The entire building has settled around that hump which used to be the footings for an old highway overpass. Could this have been dealt with before constructing the site ~4 years ago?

:aaaaa:

That is a rather visible way of showing the problem I mentioned in the_spyder's thread a while ago.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DefaultPeanut posted:

Horrible engineering failure?

The entire building has settled around that hump which used to be the footings for an old highway overpass. Could this have been dealt with before constructing the site ~4 years ago?

Yes. A soils report should have indicated that some settlement was expected, and that the building should either be built on piers, or over-excavated and re-compacted or soil amended. Comparing the soils report to the as-built survey indicating a previous overpass which would have been very solid and compacted by years of gravity and load, that should have been completely removed or excavated around it and compacted entirely.

Horrible engineering failure. I hope that building is not intended for any manufacturing, or that's a serious claim. Otherwise, remove the hump and pour a new section of slab, the building likely won't go much further in it's life.

Edit: or build an indoor go-kart track with terrain change.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Based on the fact that the door in the back shows the building is in use, it appears to me they went for the cheap option: leave that room vacant and pretend it doesn't exist. :downs:

I bet guys after work have fun rolling office chairs over it though.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

StormDrain posted:

Horrible engineering failure. I hope that building is not intended for any manufacturing, or that's a serious claim. Otherwise, remove the hump and pour a new section of slab, the building likely won't go much further in it's life.

5,000 bags of self leveling cement. Done.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
That area is going to be turned into a public clothing / accessories area after it has been fixed, whatever that entails. The dis concerning thing, the new overpass was built about 200 feet from the door you can see through. Whenever a tractor-trailer goes past, or even a large cube van, you can feel the ground quiver, you get bounced by a cemi.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Before.

After.

A old buddy of mine hit some back ice Tuesday night and went off the road into the back of a coal truck. Skull fracture, fractured C1 and the fucker is already up walking around trying to get discharged from the hospital.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

evilnissan posted:

Before.

After.

A old buddy of mine hit some back ice Tuesday night and went off the road into the back of a coal truck. Skull fracture, fractured C1 and the fucker is already up walking around trying to get discharged from the hospital.

Horrible morphine failure

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Just wait until he realizes he was in a probe.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
A guy I know back in East Texas had his truck light on fire. He got out ok with his guitar and burritos.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Wow, those Doritos Jacked Hot Wings really are hot*. :v:

* I had to google this. God forbid that such a flavor really exists.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

That's the right rear axle area on '00 Ford Expedition, which came stock with air ride suspension.

A previous owner removed all that, and welded springs to the axle since there was nowhere to mount them.

Which I guess worked ok until yesterday when a spring broke...

Now what? :psyduck:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Just keep welding more spring to the axle

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's probably not good that my first thought was concern for the weld heat tempering the spring.

The real question is, what does the other end of the spring go to? Do air ride shocks have jounce cups or is it assumed they have an internal bumpstop or something?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Why not just weld on a spring cup from something else?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Why not just weld on a spring cup from something else?

Because redneck.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CommieGIR posted:

Some simple upgrades fixes that. There are some engines that no fixes will save.

The 350 Olds-based diesel was OK in it's last years, when they gave it beefy enough head bolts, a decent head gasket, and a water separator. It was even better if you put a turbo on it. Still a slug compared to modern turbodiesels.
I don't know a great deal about the Chevy pickup 350 diesel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

The 350 Olds-based diesel was OK in it's last years, when they gave it beefy enough head bolts, a decent head gasket, and a water separator. It was even better if you put a turbo on it. Still a slug compared to modern turbodiesels.
I don't know a great deal about the Chevy pickup 350 diesel.

Exactly. Most of its drawbacks were stupid engineering mistakes that were easily rectified.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

CommieGIR posted:

This will always haunt me in my dreams...

You really can't post that without mentioning the timing gear is on the firewall side. And that those guides are prone to failure.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Customer drove his car down to us to have us inspect it.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

kastein posted:

The 3vz-fe is a completely different engine from the 3vz-e afaik.

Whoops, I meant the 3vz-e. And I'll stand by what I said, once the head gaskets are replaced, they'll run a long time with regular maintenance. As for low power and poor fuel economy, well, that sounds a lot like a Jeep 4.0 to me.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

13 INCH DICK posted:

Customer drove his car down to us to have us inspect it.

Guaranteed that if you do more than "check" it the customer will be angry.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

kastein posted:

edit: nearly forgot, the center upper timing belt pulley GOES AROUND THE WATER NECK FOR THE UPPER RADIATOR HOSE. Like, the bearing wraps entirely around it and then the pulley wraps around that. What the loving poo poo, Toyota? If you break one of the (four, IIRC, might be two studs) tiny bolts holding the neck onto the LIM (again, IIRC) you get to tear your timing set apart to replace all that crap. And it's not like tiny steel bolts ever corrode into cast aluminum parts when exposed to coolant, nope! Never.

I had to Google this to visualize it and hahaha holy poo poo

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Ringo Star Get posted:

Guaranteed that if you do more than "check" it the customer will be angry.

RO status: Closed
Light operation correct. No abnormal behavior found.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The VW Wasserboxer was a truly terrible engine too.
http://www.sub5zero.com/great-moments-crappy-engine-history-volkswagen-wasserboxer-w-video/

quote:

Rather than placing conventional flat gaskets between the block and cylinder heads, VW engineers instead used rubber lip style gaskets to prevent leakage where the parts joined together. What’s more, the cast iron cylinder liners stuck out beyond the decks of the aluminum block; the protruding liners then slid into recesses in the heads, and the tops of the cylinders were then sealed off with compressible metal rings. The actual combustion chambers were bowls in the tops of the pistons instead of recesses in the cylinder head; these are known as Heron type combustion chambers. Finally, the casting around the cylinder liners was mostly empty space, creating a water jacket (or one big coolant passage) around them.

If you said having combustion chambers essentially surrounded by water with multiple potential failure points sounds like a recipe for trouble, give yourself a cookie, because that was precisely the case. Not only could coolant leak out through breaches in the unorthodox head gaskets and cause overheating, but it could also slip past the compression rings and into the combustion chamber. This second, more disastrous scenario would cause anything from corrosion and misfires resulting from a little coolant leaking in to hydrolock

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=107

It was basically an air cooled vw boxer engine converted rather thoughtlessly to be water cooled, and it was rubbish.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Previa_fun posted:

But....but...but...why not just run it on a roller OVER the coolant flange?

:psyduck:

Vanagoon posted:

The VW Wasserboxer was a truly terrible engine too.
http://www.sub5zero.com/great-moments-crappy-engine-history-volkswagen-wasserboxer-w-video/

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=107

It was basically an air cooled vw boxer engine converted rather thoughtlessly to be water cooled, and it was rubbish.

Yeah, the Wasserboxer was utter tripe, I don't know what the gently caress VAG thought they were doing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, the Wasserboxer was utter tripe, I don't know what the gently caress VAG thought they were doing.

All the German engineers who could do things efficiently for the common man were put to death after World War II. :v:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

All the German engineers who could do things efficiently for the common man were put to death stolen by the USSSR after World War II. :v:

See: aeronautical insanity thread & German engineers in the design bureaus working on their jet engines.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Cooling is ordinary until the plastic thermostat housing cracks...

I just found out about this particular phenomenon - tonight! - on a Ford 4.0L V6, via the giant puddle of coolant that my wife's car barfed up all over my garage floor.

And of course, antifreeze doesn't freeze on the garage floor even when it's precisely no loving degrees. Good advertising for Peak, I guess. (grumble grumble, loving mess, grumble grumble, swapping parts in an unheated garage in Maine but at least I'm inside, grumble, etc.)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CommieGIR posted:

I've wondered about that before and all I can come up with is someone in management specified the belt types the designers were allowed to use and, given the length of the belt they had to work with, it was simpler to do it like that and go, 'job done' and gently caress off to the pub rather than decide to work later tyring to turn a stupid management decision into something workable.

"Okay people, the warehouse called and apparently they've got 50,000 of these KS-450 timing belts sitting there taking up space. So accounting has decided we're going to be using them in our engine."

"But they don't fit anywhere."

Make them fit."

:eng99:

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

CommieGIR posted:

My guess: the specs called for the belt to wrap at least 180° around the cam pulley, and if the upper portion went over the thingy, they'd need rollers right about where the tensioner spring is. I don't know enough to guess at why this wasn't done, maybe they don't like the belt to go around sharp angles, dunno. Or plan B, why didn't they put the pulley completely below the coolant thingy?

Probably more like: the lead designer thought it up, was really proud of his novel solution that saved space, and nobody had the balls (or foresight) to tell him that it was a bad idea.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's probably a combination of your last item there, and some spec that says the belt can't have a turn sharper than N degrees, and a small roller under the coolant hose would be a pretty sharp turn.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I would probably relocate the water neck but hey, that would make too much sense I guess.

murphle posted:

Whoops, I meant the 3vz-e. And I'll stand by what I said, once the head gaskets are replaced, they'll run a long time with regular maintenance. As for low power and poor fuel economy, well, that sounds a lot like a Jeep 4.0 to me.

I've gotten over 23mpg out of one hauling 3/4 ton of cargo, with 210+ on the clock, an automatic trans, and no rebuild ever on either, so I'm going to have to disagree :v:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

The 5VZ-FE that Toyota replaced that shitpile with is a markedly improved design. Power is still unimpressive by modern standards (183 hp, 217 lb-ft TQ), but that thing has run like a goddamn clock for 228k miles and gets just about 20 mpg no matter what.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

kastein posted:

I would probably relocate the water neck but hey, that would make too much sense I guess.

I've gotten over 23mpg out of one hauling 3/4 ton of cargo, with 210+ on the clock, an automatic trans, and no rebuild ever on either, so I'm going to have to disagree :v:

You squeezed 23 out of a 4.0 under that kind of load?

You must show me your magic!

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Horse Divorce posted:

You squeezed 23 out of a 4.0 under that kind of load?

You must show me your magic!

I never got more than 16mpg highway on a completely unloaded 4.0 with 130k miles. I find that number extremely hard to believe.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

BoostCreep posted:

I never got more than 16mpg highway on a completely unloaded 4.0 with 130k miles. I find that number extremely hard to believe.

What were you driving and how was it geared? I never saw higher than 17MPG when I had a TJ but I routinely get 23MPG highway in my Cherokee.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
The 4.0 loves to run at 210 degrees (especially in northern climates this time of year.) You can get up to 3 MPG just by swapping the rec'd 195 thermostat out for a 205. I know a guy hitting right around 25 MPG in a '99 auto with 3.55's and 30" tires. With 3.73's and a manual he could probably hit 27+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Philip J Fry posted:

With 3.73's and a manual he could probably hit 27+.

In a 4.0. So, you'd have to kick the revlimiter down to what? 2.5k? It'd seem more like a crawl than a first? :v: