Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Darchangel posted:

That is art. What does that even sound like?

Top Gear India special.

You can catch a bit of the pre and post muffler shenanigans here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_zd-zQtYlk

Edit: vvv watch his link

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Darchangel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d49EsTThnZA

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Darchangel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caDuxElh2l0

E:FB but mine has the mufflers on :colbert:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Darchangel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW45Dq0FPKY&t=95s

Wow, double-beaten

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Huggable Bear King posted:

how the gently caress do you keep driving on that?! it must've sounded awful...and why is it always BMW's?

BMW, Audi, and Rover owners. Seriously the 3 worst shitbags in the loving galaxy.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
At least when I bought mine, Audi included roadside assistance for the length of the warranty. Doesn't BMW?

Not to mention on most insurance policies it's like ten bucks a year.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I think most higher end brands do. When I bought my 330 back in '05 or whatever, it had roadside and it was only a certified used car.
But yeah, your insurance offers it, AAA is cheap as hell not to mention that if you get your car towed and it's under warranty you will usually be reimbursed.

There are many convenient ways to not destroy your car but I'm pretty sure most people feel that if it moves under its own power it must be fine to keep driving.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

BMW, Audi, and Rover owners. Seriously the 3 worst shitbags in the loving galaxy.

Wow, rude!!.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

cursedshitbox posted:

As a BMW M Coupe owner :smuggo: I can, without a shadow of doubt, confirm that you are actually a shitbag yourself, even if you are largelycorrect.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I own a rover.

I deny nothing.

I also don't hem and haw at the cost of regular maintenance for my 20 year old truck thats worth 1200 dollars on paper. Like most people here.

I was targeting the typical owner that whines at the cost of a 400 dollar brake (break) job. Seeing as how I've dealt with many marques over the years, and these 3 come back with the most whiny, cheap assed owners period.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
These cheap assed owners are not just limited to cars. Somehow they think paying any amount of money means that they have things that last forever, and will bring up price at any opportunity.

"I paid $500 for this laptop why doesn't it work"

"Why can't my XYZ do this, it cost $1500."

"What do you mean my iPad can't do ___, it cost $500."

"Why do I have to perform ABC maintenance on my car, it's a BMW. And BMWs are expensive. Do you know how much I paid for this?"

"Do you like my coffee table? It only cost $3000 but that's alright I can afford that."

These are also the people who always refer to all of their items by name: "oh I left my iPhone in my bmw."

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

i am shamed. i thought the squeal coming from the right-side of my car was because I used moly grease on the right side when I changed my front brakes, and used orange goop on the other side because I ran out of moly grease. It was not the front brakes

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 26, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wild EEPROM posted:

These cheap assed owners are not just limited to cars. Somehow they think paying any amount of money means that they have things that last forever, and will bring up price at any opportunity.

"I paid $500 for this laptop why doesn't it work"

"Why can't my XYZ do this, it cost $1500."

"What do you mean my iPad can't do ___, it cost $500."

"Why do I have to perform ABC maintenance on my car, it's a BMW. And BMWs are expensive. Do you know how much I paid for this?"

"Do you like my coffee table? It only cost $3000 but that's alright I can afford that."

These are also the people who always refer to all of their items by name: "oh I left my iPhone in my bmw."

I'd wager it's a by-product of our culture; the best things cost the most, so they simply think the best thing shouldn't need maintenance or get broken. They bought the ad man's line of poo poo, hook, line, and sinker.

It's endemic in our society, especially with people who don't fix things for a living. My parents always buy stuff at MSRP because they don't like the "hassle" of deal shopping or making things work; they keep ignoring how little overall I've spent on my "broken and old" truck, that I own outright, because they think a new car would have been a better buy for me -- even after I was recently laid off. They also ignore that while I've had to replace a radiator at a cost of two hundred dollars, they spend that much monthly paying off a base model Ranger from 04.

People think money buys you out of needing to do anything.

Edit: this post is too long and doesn't have a pic

" Mounted, aired, and outside the rim."

:catstare:

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
ha that's the typical conversation I have to suffer through anytime something fairly routine breaks on my car, which is maybe once every 12-18 months.

"wow that sounds like it will be expensive, is it even worth fixing?!"

"ouch time for a new one"

"there are good deals on X cars right now!"

...It's a 2003 panther platform, it has 110 k on it and is paid off. It's probably worth 3-5k and it sucks gas but it's also cheap to insure, comfy and easy to fix.

how does it make sense for me to pick up a $300-$500/mo car payment to avoid maintenance costs for maybe three years?

Also hella flush yo!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1945492-Hey-heard-you-guys-liked-quot-hellaflush-quot-E36s

Huggable Bear King fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 26, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ha that's the typical conversation I have to suffer through anytime something fairly routine breaks on my car, which is maybe once every 12-18 months.

"wow that sounds like it will be expensive, is it even worth fixing?!"

"ouch time for a new one"

"there are good deals on X cars right now!"

I hate that mentality, like the instant something breaks in even the smallest possible way, it's completely worthless and needs to be replaced with a brand new item. I've seen people throw stuff in the trash that could have been fixed easily, sometimes the only thing wrong was a bit of cosmetic damage. They could at least have given it to a thrift store or something instead of trashing it!

Consumerism, man.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I got a lot of surprise from one of my coworkers when I told them I replaced my blown struts with $100 used parts I got off the local ricer forums over the weekend. Admittedly, not very smart, but it was cheap - and my dad taught me that being cheap is a kind of smart.

Wide eyed horror at the concept of being able to replace one of the largest and most exposed parts of the car besides the wheel, and then surprise that you can get out of any car service for under a thousand bucks. I felt like a wizard when really I was just some retard who turned a buncha nuts. Putting up drywall is harder.

I was using another coworker's wife to get at the local Chinese-immigrant used car forum because I figured it was a good additional source of used cars that might not get posted to Kijiji. It was, but only if you want something beige. When I thanked her anyway, she gave me the card of her dealership salesman at the local Toyota dealer because I should get a brand new car, and then was surprised when I told her that I actually wanted a used car.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I got a lot of surprise from one of my coworkers when I told them I replaced my blown struts with $100 used parts I got off the local ricer forums over the weekend. Admittedly, not very smart, but it was cheap - and my dad taught me that being cheap is a kind of smart.

Wide eyed horror at the concept of being able to replace one of the largest and most exposed parts of the car besides the wheel, and then surprise that you can get out of any car service for under a thousand bucks. I felt like a wizard when really I was just some retard who turned a buncha nuts. Putting up drywall is harder.

Yeah reading the Chilton manual really gave me some perspective on how easy a lot of car maintenance is. It only took me two hours to install a custom radiator, and I was suddenly super pissed when I remembered the cost of getting my previous car's radiator FAN replaced through a shop; it was apparently held in with three clips and plugged in.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah reading the Chilton manual really gave me some perspective on how easy a lot of car maintenance is. It only took me two hours to install a custom radiator, and I was suddenly super pissed when I remembered the cost of getting my previous car's radiator FAN replaced through a shop; it was apparently held in with three clips and plugged in.

This is how it starts. Four years later you're standing in your car's engine bay, wondering how it all went so wrong right.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is how it starts. Four years later you're standing in your car's engine bay, wondering how it all went so wrong right.

Yeah I'm already looking at replacing my Explorer's mechanical radiator fan with an electric unit to get a little better mileage and horse power.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

how does it make sense for me to pick up a $300-$500/mo car payment to avoid maintenance costs for maybe three years?

To quote a friend of mine, "New cars break down too!" Then you're stuck with car payments and repair bills. The only stuff I plan to take my truck to a shop for are things I don't care to do myself and am comfortable with paying someone else to have a headache over. See: Heater core replacement in my F150 that requires draining the AC and taking out the entire dash.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

I was targeting the typical owner that whines at the cost of a 400 dollar brake (break) job. Seeing as how I've dealt with many marques over the years, and these 3 come back with the most whiny, cheap assed owners period.

This is why I like working on high end cars. Yesterday I upsold a front and rear brake job on a Cayenne Turbo.
The estimate came out to around $4,500 with parts and labor. My advisor made a three minute phone call and told me to go ahead.
Screw trying to argue with someone over a $150 pad slap because there is still .05mm of material left so I'm obviously ripping them off.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The back lot of the Rover/Jag shop I worked at was packed full of Disco IIs and P38s that were abandoned at the shop by their owners when they found out a head gasket job cost $2,500. Some of them did it after they said yes to the work and then tried to weasel their way out of paying.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The rear brake job on my Peugeot cost me around $800 when the right rear brake locked up completely. That was with completely new drums/discs/pads/handbrake cables, and some cleaning-up on the calipers. I had to go to a stealership garage because I needed the car fixed as soon as possible, and they were the only ones who could do it on short notice.

I still felt ripped off like a chump, considering my usual place would only have charged me half as much for the same job :(

Still only a drop in the bucket compared to the $550 monthly payment I was making on my previous car. Loved the car, hated the payments. Good riddance.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

The back lot of the Rover/Jag shop I worked at was packed full of Disco IIs and P38s that were abandoned at the shop by their owners when they found out a head gasket job cost $2,500. Some of them did it after they said yes to the work and then tried to weasel their way out of paying.

there was always a couple half dead trucks like that at my shop sitting out back waiting to get picked up by the owner. Overall it wasn't all terrible. I had a few regulars that put money into their vehicles and enjoyed using em. Plus once a month I'd schedule a big offroad trip with them and help make revenue go wheeling for the day.

E:

I built that truck for the owner, then it was buried. It spent a few months in the bushes like that. got it running again and he lunched the engine a month later because he ran it out of oil.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 26, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Surely the answer for the Buick/Rover V8 is a nice Chev LSx?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bugdrvr posted:

This is why I like working on high end cars. Yesterday I upsold a front and rear brake job on a Cayenne Turbo.
The estimate came out to around $4,500 with parts and labor. My advisor made a three minute phone call and told me to go ahead.
Screw trying to argue with someone over a $150 pad slap because there is still .05mm of material left so I'm obviously ripping them off.

The difference is that for the person who can afford a $4500 brake job on a Cayenne Turbo, their time (or rather, the increased amount of time required to come back at some later point to do the brakes then, instead of doing them now) is worth more than that brake job.

More pics for the pic thread:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
But wait, I thought only knockoff wheels failed :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah I'm already looking at replacing my Explorer's mechanical radiator fan with an electric unit to get a little better mileage and horse power.

Well, now you're going in the wrong direction. That will gain you about nothing measurable on both fronts.

Deal with maintenance first until you get a handle on how things work.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

KozmoNaut posted:

I hate that mentality, like the instant something breaks in even the smallest possible way, it's completely worthless and needs to be replaced with a brand new item. I've seen people throw stuff in the trash that could have been fixed easily, sometimes the only thing wrong was a bit of cosmetic damage. They could at least have given it to a thrift store or something instead of trashing it!

Consumerism, man.

There's a great documentary called "Yank Tanks" that's about all of the 50's American cars that are still running today in Cuba and the underground black market that supplies parts for them. It's amazing how these people take scrap steel and busted parts and forge them into replacements. I mean yeah they don't really have options but still, it's cool.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There was an episode of Carlos Lago's show on YouTube where he went to Cuba with another ex-pat and went around looking at cars. There was one guy who basically fabricated half of a drag car by himself based on low resolution pictures on the internet because he couldn't get any speed parts. I thought it was really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-aALD7XVls

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Top Gear India special.

You can catch a bit of the pre and post muffler shenanigans here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_zd-zQtYlk

Edit: vvv watch his link

Thanks, guys!
Now I want an off-road XJS...

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

KozmoNaut posted:

Consumerism, man.

Huh and I thought it was only my parents-in-law with that attitude, though now I am dismayed to find out it's so much more wide-spread. The way my in-laws go through vehicles is troubling.
1. Buy used car.
2. Neglect all maintenance.
3. Car breaks down, however minor it may be.
4. Go buy another used car and use XX amount of dollars as a down payment, which could have been used to fix the previous car.
5. Let the previous car sit broken down in the garage or on the street for a few years.
6. Repeat.

Optionally, if the break down happens while on the road, they call me to help them out. ARRRGH.
What is so astounding to me is that they cannot even conceive of doing things differently at all. About twelve years ago I owned a 94 Geo Metro that I paid a couple hundred bucks for. Occasionally something would break, but it got 44 mpg, was cheap to insure, and I owned it. Now anytime I had a problem with it, they would ask me what I was buying next. The problem could be something as minor as a clutch (which really is minor on that vehicle). "So son, what are you getting?" :wtc:

Sometimes they would try to unload the broke vehicle on me. I almost took them up on it, but then I found out that I wouldn't be able to sell it after fixing without pissing them off somehow.
They got their youngest son to take the last couple of poo poo-mobiles from them (some late 90's Lincoln Mk VIII and another early 2000's Lincoln Continental). But he just recently bought a certified used car, so that avenue dried up for them. I can't wait to see what happens next time around something breaks.
edit: The Mk VIII had a busted air compressor for the shocks. The Continental had a broken power seat and the hood was devoid of nearly all paint.
They bought a used Avalanche to replace the Mk VIII and some brand-new SUV to replace the other Lincoln.

Granted, I tend towards the other extreme of the spectrum to where I want to fix EVERYTHING. I grew up in East Germany where lots of things were tough to get and that environment fostered that type of attitude to the extreme.

Anyhow, my contribution: I did a transmission fluid change on my 99 Dodge 3500 with the 47RE auto. Upon dropping the pan, I found a few large pieces of metal in the bottom of it. The 1st/2nd band shift lever, a cast aluminum part, broke and fell off the pin it pivots on. No big deal, it's a $15 part and I can see & manipulate everything right there with the pan off.
Except.....the pin must be removed from the engine side of the bell housing, behind the torque converter. Thanks Dodge.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 27, 2014

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There was an episode of Carlos Lago's show on YouTube where he went to Cuba with another ex-pat and went around looking at cars. There was one guy who basically fabricated half of a drag car by himself based on low resolution pictures on the internet because he couldn't get any speed parts. I thought it was really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-aALD7XVls

Oh man that was cool, that thing is a beast! Also I had no idea they shoved diesels into these old cars. I found this cuban 59' Cadillac Convertible and while replacing the 390 V8 with a Mercedes diesel kind of made me sad, I totally understand and would daily drive the poo poo out of it. In "Yank Tanks" some old dude had one and he had hand made the loving grill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jBWX4fk6EE

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

A year after that you're me :ghost:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm looking forward to the gasps of horror the new M3/4's carbon ceramic brake option brings, they're $10K when you add in the extra charged for wheels to clear them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Das Volk posted:

I'm looking forward to the gasps of horror the new M3/4's carbon ceramic brake option brings, they're $10K when you add in the extra charged for wheels to clear them.

HAHAHA holy gently caress. What is the cheap option here?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TotalLossBrain posted:

edit: The Mk VIII had a busted air compressor for the shocks.

I thought they came from the factory dragging their rear end on the pavement.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

HAHAHA holy gently caress. What is the cheap option here?

Normal cast iron vented rotors and multi-pot callipers are standard and will be fully up to the task, even on track. There is really no reason to get the CCCBs given the absurd cost.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

Anyhow, my contribution: I did a transmission fluid change on my 99 Dodge 3500 with the 47RE auto. Upon dropping the pan, I found a few large pieces of metal in the bottom of it. The 1st/2nd band shift lever, a cast aluminum part, broke and fell off the pin it pivots on. No big deal, it's a $15 part and I can see & manipulate everything right there with the pan off.
Except.....the pin must be removed from the engine side of the bell housing, behind the torque converter. Thanks Dodge.

"So son, what are you getting?" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

SlapActionJackson posted:

Normal cast iron vented rotors and multi-pot callipers are standard and will be fully up to the task, even on track. There is really no reason to get the CCCBs given the absurd cost.

I have no idea what they think they're doing putting those on that car, that's what, an additional 15% on top of the base price?