Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cursedshitbox posted:

You nicely summed up why I quit loving wrenching on other peoples junk for a paycheck.
E: that and the whole getting treated like the help instead of a human loving being.

MB has done this since the 90s with the W210 chassis putting the battery under the back seat. *shrug*

Manufacturer: Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.
SUMMARY:
ALLEGED THAT THE TRUNK-MOUNTED BATTERY CAN EXPLODE WHILE EITHER DRIVING OR STATIONARY, POTENTIALLY CAUSING INJURY FROM FRAGMENT AND ACID SPRAY.

98-99 C-Class :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CharlesM posted:

Corrosion on the connector? One of my Subarus did that. The pigtail harness was replaceable.

You sometimes see that with a bulb that's burned out too. Whacking it makes the broken filament make contact again.. until it's turned off and cools.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Corrosion on the connector? One of my Subarus did that. The pigtail harness was replaceable.

I had a connector that looked fine, but still wouldn't conduct its business. Bent the pin a bit so the connection got more surface area, problem solved.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

CharlesM posted:

Right turn signal on my Subaru is doing that right now. It doesn't fully go out but the change in resistance messes with the blinker circuit. Where did you get the connectors?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Right turn signal on my Subaru is doing that right now. It doesn't fully go out but the change in resistance messes with the blinker circuit. Where did you get the connectors?

I think I had that one serviced at the dealer so Subaru itself.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Friends bought not 1 but 2 similar era 80's Mercedes because they like the look of them. The first one they bought in NYC and drove to Los Angeles. They only had to repair it 3 times along the way, including before they got out of New York. I laughed pretty heartily at them shopping for the second one here in LA after that experience. Neither of them have done so much as an oil change in their life. I advised them to buy a Civic to complement their fashion accessories. I can't wait to hear more stories! :allears:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CharlesM posted:

98-99 C-Class :P

C =/= E.

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/diy-battery-replacement-benz-e320-e430-e55-w210-1996-2002/

Eat me.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

If the bulb is some kind of standard size you can get a connector for it, chop off the old one, put on new one with whatever is the fashionable way to connect and protect wires these days.

If its Subaru's own I guess you pay whatever they want.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

To be fair, the '97 E320 my dad inherited still holds the record for the longest lived battery in any car anyone in my family has owned - at around five years. Getting them out of the engine bay really does help in AZ.

That car was fantastic when it worked, but a dumpster fire when it didn't.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Getting them out of the engine bay really does help in AZ.

It also helps with balance by moving a block of lead to the back of the car. BMW got this right on the E46, the battery is in the trunk under an easily removed plastic panel. You don't need any tools beyond a simple wrench (10mm I think?) to change the battery, and said wrench is in the factory tool kit mounted feet away on the underside of the trunk lid. It's a win-win, all the advantages of getting it out of the engine bay while still being equally convenient to work on as the traditional placement.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Oh, you misunderstand, you just reminded me of exploding Mercedes batteries. I know the difference between a C and E class :)

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Not really a horrible mechanical failure as just a horrible failure

This is at my local $250/month very nice makerspace

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'd be surprised if they got any penetration on a piece of metal that thick. You can probably just snap it off with a good blow from a sledgehammer.

Still amazingly dumb, though.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

thebigcow posted:

If the bulb is some kind of standard size you can get a connector for it, chop off the old one, put on new one with whatever is the fashionable way to connect and protect wires these days.

If its Subaru's own I guess you pay whatever they want.

That's what I did with my 2000 Silverado. Got some new(ish) connectors from a junkyard, cut off the old ones and spliced them together with some heat shrink wrappers.

Also, What the gently caress is a "makerspace" that someone pays 250/month for.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Johnny Aztec posted:

Also, What the gently caress is a "makerspace" that someone pays 250/month for.

They’re paying for access to a shop with a bunch of prohibitively expensive tools.

IDK what kind of tools a Makerspace™ has worth $250∕month, but it must be good. :shrug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The one nearest to me has a 5-axis CNC machine and a waterjet cutter. :shrug:

But yeah you're right $250 a month is a total ripoff for access to that kind of thing

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Fayez Butts posted:

Not really a horrible mechanical failure as just a horrible failure

This is at my local $250/month very nice makerspace

Yeah, I did that the first time I tried MIG welding too :(

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I would be willing to bet the person involved was wearing a fixed shade welding helmet, and "Missed".

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

MRC48B posted:

I would be willing to bet the person involved was wearing a fixed shade welding helmet, and "Missed".

Actually all the ones the space supplies are auto-dimming.

The space offers nice stuff like a full wood and metal shop with cnc for both, a bunch of high quality additive manufacturing and everything one needs to make PCBs but where it gets really shiesty is that they charge extra for use of some tools. like the laser cutter is $20/hr, the waterjet is $100/hr, the shopbot's like $50... I never even bothered to ask how much the high end cnc stuff costed.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
That...makes me feel really loving lucky to have all of that poo poo at work. Jesus.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I wish I had a makerspace nearby to have access to any of those tools.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've never even heard of this before, and I have zero doubt the nearest one is hours away.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
What the hell do they have that you're paying $240 a month?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before someone loses a hand to a CNC machine or something and they all get litigated into oblivion.

Kind of like how it's super hard to find a garage bay to rent for apartment dwellers to do big jobs on their ride. Who the gently caress is going to let some unknown dipshit gently caress around with a hydraulic lift or impact wrench?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

xzzy posted:

I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before someone loses a hand to a CNC machine or something and they all get litigated into oblivion.

Kind of like how it's super hard to find a garage bay to rent for apartment dwellers to do big jobs on their ride. Who the gently caress is going to let some unknown dipshit gently caress around with a hydraulic lift or impact wrench?

Thank God for the military. On every decent size Canadian Forces base I've been to there's an auto club, monthly membership with access to lifts+air+tools. I'm dreading when the shithammer does come down and they all close though, because everything good gets axed eventually in the military.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

stevobob posted:

Thank God for the military. On every decent size Canadian Forces base I've been to there's an auto club, monthly membership with access to lifts+air+tools. I'm dreading when the shithammer does come down and they all close though, because everything good gets axed eventually in the military.

US military has been closing these down for the past several years, and it's terrible.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I saved so much money using USAF hobby shops. RIP

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

xsf421 posted:

US military has been closing these down for the past several years, and it's terrible.

That's mostly because no one uses them, seemingly.

I've used them on every loving base I've ever been to. It saved my rear end when we lived in an apartment and the car needed work, but we were also broke because I was an E3.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I basically rebuilt my F150 at the one on Ft. Lewis. Saved my wallet a lot of pain when the suspension all decided to fail at once (hidden rust).

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

SEKCobra posted:

I wish I had a makerspace nearby to have access to any of those tools.

I just looked up my local one and it's $50/mo without a single metal working tool

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

1500quidporsche posted:

What the hell do they have that you're paying $240 a month?

xzzy posted:

I'd wager a sizeable part of the $250/month fee goes towards liability insurance and/or a legal fund. Or is prohibitively expensive to deter idiots who never took a day of shop class (much less ever set foot on an actual production floor) who would lose a hand to a CNC machine in the first place...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

FatCow posted:

I just looked up my local one and it's $50/mo without a single metal working tool

So what do you do there? That's pretty much the whole point to me. I want to make either PCBs, metal stuff or really high quality 3D printing. There is a wannabe hackerspace in my city, but all they have is a lovely reprap. I was there once and everyone just sat in silence staring into their laptop.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Sorry, I lied. They have a HF quality mini-lathe, a "CNC" that uses a Dremel to hold the tool and smallish milling machine.

It's mostly woodworking tools and 3d printers.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Found a box of my old stuff cleaning out my basement and found the one piece of my first aw11 mr2 I have left:

I wish I had pictures of what the block looked like, 2 holes on each side that you could easily see through. 4age's are tough motors, but this is what horrible abuse, overheating and lack of oil does to one.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Tractor pull goes... poorly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzp0DAtYPGE

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Another view

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I hope they at least let him count his distance as being to where it landed.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

`Nemesis posted:

Another view

"The Little Engine Who Couldn't Because He Was A Lazy Bum Like Your Father".

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It was then towed outside of the enviroment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Not as noisy as I'd expect a failure of that magnitude to be.