Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Billy Tully posted:

This is key right here, gently caress Tecumsehs (after the late 80s/early 90s).

I take it they suck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

ratbert90 posted:

I take it they suck?

The engine itself is ok but their carburetors blow. I have a bunch of equipment that has been sitting around and the Briggs always run with new gas and a little engine starter, the Tecumsehs ALWAYS have to have the carb rebuilt and they get this nasty green stuff in them that is hard to remove.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Splizwarf posted:

Supercharged? Autocross? So complicated. Friend of mine drives one around all the time that sounds like that. I thought it was what Fieros sounded like. :iamafag:
It seemed like an interesting choice to me too. Nobody was really surprised when it lurched and then lost power with a *crunch* halfway through his second run.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Billy Tully posted:

The engine itself is ok but their carburetors blow. I have a bunch of equipment that has been sitting around and the Briggs always run with new gas and a little engine starter, the Tecumsehs ALWAYS have to have the carb rebuilt and they get this nasty green stuff in them that is hard to remove.

631021A. Every year, without fail.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

no but then there was something seriously wrong with mine because it would not idle normally. it just revved to high heaven.

maybe I put something back together wrong?

Those usually have an air vane governor, so the air being pushed by the flywheel pushes on a little arm connected to the carb. The faster the engine goes, the more it pushes the air vane so it feeds less fuel and keeps the RPMs stable and limited. If they get sticky or gunked up then the engine will rev wildly or stall under load.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

DELETED posted:

Those usually have an air vane governor, so the air being pushed by the flywheel pushes on a little arm connected to the carb. The faster the engine goes, the more it pushes the air vane so it feeds less fuel and keeps the RPMs stable and limited. If they get sticky or gunked up then the engine will rev wildly or stall under load.

My experience is that these just make the throttle oscillate. Even under load. So you have to push while its high, then wait, push while its high, wait, etc.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
If you've got a surge with an airvane, you need to clean the jet or otherwise enlarge it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Billy Tully posted:

That sucks. While I was cleaning the head and block, I noticed that the hone is non-existent on the Briggs. Are the engines about the same as a car engine? By that I mean should there be a cross-hatch in the cylinder chamber?

The Mower itself is about 10 years old, so would I just buy a ring kit and hone it the same way I do a car?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I was "gifted" a mower that would barely run and stall in grass. It had a foam sponge air filter that was clogged with oil and sand and a carb that was just as filthy. I didn't care if it worked or not so I took the filter off and pulled the starter. It idles lovely as hell. I didn't care if the mower ran or not so I poured some sea foam right down the intake. The whole mower lurched as it fired good for the first time in who knows how long, so I keep dumping it in. Engine dies when I stop feeding it sea foam. So, I cleaned out the air filter and mowed the yard on a mixture of 50% sea foam and gas. It only smoked for about half the yard. Smoked is a polite way to put it; the thick white cloud that came out of that thing drifted across my neighbor's yard before dissipating.

tl;dr: got a free mower that was so neglected that sea foam kept it from bogging down

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Guys, seriously, post this stuff in the alternative insanity thread. People are looking for broken and exploded poo poo in this thread. I'm not gonna answer any more lawn mower questions here.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Re-posting this from the Youtube thread because, seriously, how many hundreds of thousands of dollars did this "bombproof" car cost, only to be taken out by a... curb?

quote:

Superior German limo traverses the bump with a little scrape. Imperialistic American heavy iron gets stopped in its tracks. Obama's limo beached:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo5zH0Il8B0

Then Sockington added a link to another view:

My hypothesis is the pneumatic/hydraulic system for the front suspension got taken out by the curb/protruding bit of metal, causing the front suspension to poo poo the bed and turn turtle, does anyone have any further info?

Further: Matlock said that it was one of the 2004 Bush versions and it certainly looks like the old style, versus the much-heralded new version seen here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/15/barackobama-obama-white-house

So why would the president be riding around in an old, fragile hoopdie?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 23, 2011

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Wasn't there some speculation that it was a decoy to begin with?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

meatpimp posted:

So why would the president be riding around in an old, fragile hoopdie?
Budget cuts :argh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

grover posted:

I was under the impression it was because he was trying to express his African American pride.

That or he sold the springs from his car to pay for the driver

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

grover posted:

Still bombproof, just not curbproof.

VVV Oh, it was more than just a highside... the rear wheels were off the ground.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 23, 2011

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Whatever happened, it was more than just a curb/hump/highside problem. That front suspension collapsed. If it where a normal highside, both front and rear suspension would be fully extended or nearly so.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it's running some kind of air or hydraulic suspension, could a line have been ripped out by grounding?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Some people are suggesting it was a protection mechanism that got triggered. I can't imagine a scenario where turning turtle is the best protection however.

I'm down with the pneumatic suspension idea myself.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

meltie posted:

Some people are suggesting it was a protection mechanism that got triggered. I can't imagine a scenario where turning turtle is the best protection however.

What if someone comes charging at your with a forklift? :tinfoil:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
here's the shortblock from our race car after sunday morning:

and here's something we just pulled apart:

guy had the motor built, about 1000 miles later a cam gear broke and bent all the valves. The cam gears on a subaru are composite plastic so if you drop or crack one they can explode sometimes.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

KozmoNaut posted:

What if someone comes charging at your with a forklift? :tinfoil:

Yea cause forklift forks skewering the people inside the car is a better alternative than being picked up by one? :iamafag:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Please, somebody make a GIF of Mario jumping on that car.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

jamal posted:

The cam gears on a subaru are composite plastic so if you drop or crack one they can explode sometimes.

This sounds like a retardedly fantastic idea.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Godholio posted:

Please, somebody make a GIF of Mario jumping on that car.

This also sounds like a retardedly fantastic idea.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

This sounds like a retardedly fantastic idea.

well, they've been doing it since at least 1996, I've been officially working on Subarus for over 4 years now, and I've only seen it happen twice. I'd expect most manufacturers do the same thing.

Here's more carnage from the race motor:

Lasted long enough for us to win and set the track record - 3 laps Saturday morning.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 24, 2011

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

jamal posted:

:staredog:

That had to make one hell of a racket when it let go...

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Mr.Peabody posted:

This also sounds like a retardedly fantastic idea.
At least some of the old chevy straight 6s (250 etc) had phenolic timing gears, and I never had any issues with mine or heard about it being a problem. Maybe it's not the same kind of resin?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
When I went to grease monkey school we had one of those with the phenolic gears that had grenaded in the tear down room and I heard it was a minor issue, but at least with them it was non intereence, but that may be anecdotal.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lowclock posted:

At least some of the old chevy straight 6s (250 etc) had phenolic timing gears, and I never had any issues with mine or heard about it being a problem. Maybe it's not the same kind of resin?

The original 350 in my truck had one. Sometime in the late '80s it decided that it no longer liked the camshaft and wished to separate. Took the timing cover, timing chain, some pushrods, and some exhaust valves with it.

Timing belts I don't mind as long as they have a sane replacement process and interval, especially on non-interference engines. Plastic has no business in an engine's valve timing system, especially on an interference engine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Timing belts I don't mind as long as they have a sane replacement process and interval, especially on non-interference engines. Plastic has no business in an engine's valve timing system, especially on an interference engine.

I'm not fond of timing belts, but after using them on TDIs and volkswagen TDs, I have not minded them. Most of them last forever and as long as you get a quality timing belt, you won't have issues.

I fully agree though, plastic does not belong in the engine's critical timing system

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
The Iron Duke had plastic timing gears, but I'm pretty sure they didn't use a chain. Most of the time though, it's not that big of a deal, since plenty of people have gone 250-300k miles on the original timing set before it gave up. Luckily they're non-interference, so you just replace the set, reset the timing and you're good. Replacements are, shockingly, steel, so barring some sort of oil starvation or submarine captain, the Duke is ready to go another million or so.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
The protection hypothesis(for Obama's limo) is sound because it could be there to keep anyone from mucking about with the underside of the car. Some sort of laser-grid or something? a touch sensor?

That way when joe schmoe terrorist tries to cut the prez's brake lines all he gets is a broken arm trapped under one sweet caddy.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Joe shmoe terrorist isnt going to be getting anywhere near a presidential limo when its parked. I would agree what some sort of protective mechanism was set off, pulling the wheels into the arches. But if you think there are exposed hydraulic lines running underneath a car that supposed to keep driving after being hit by a bomb, that is false. It would be interesting to see if the rear wheels retracted as well.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

mutt2jeff posted:

It would be interesting to see if the rear wheels retracted as well.

You can see in the first video that they don't. Time to move on.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

That's not how you move a thread on, this is:

Hey, look at this tool who is crying on the kia forums about his unmaintained kia engine is crap and Toyota is sooo much better.

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-2g-2001-2005-rio/33188-federal-suit-interference-engine.html

warning: I only found this image by GISing "interference engine" kia-forums.com is pretty slow, and rather poo poo.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Jonny Nox posted:

That's not how you move a thread on, this is:

Hey, look at this tool who is crying on the kia forums about his unmaintained kia engine is crap and Toyota is sooo much better.

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-2g-2001-2005-rio/33188-federal-suit-interference-engine.html

warning: I only found this image by GISing "interference engine" kia-forums.com is pretty slow, and rather poo poo.

Threads like that make me believe in karma for a brief moment. That guy is such a tool it's hard to imagine how he got his car to 90,000 miles.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

EightBit posted:

Threads like that make me believe in karma for a brief moment. That guy is such a tool it's hard to imagine how he got his car to 90,000 miles.

No poo poo. A Kia is too good for him...hell, a riding lawnmower is too good for him. :psypop:

HEY GENIUS: drat near every modern car manufacturer has made an interference engine with a timing belt. Guess you'd better sue all of them too!

What kind of stupid entitled oval office do you have to be to think that a timing belt every 60k and plugs every 15k isn't reasonable maintenance? Holy hell, just a few decades ago you'd be rebuilding the engine at 60k. Not to mention that looks more like detonation damage than valves and pistons meeting. I guess that's kinda moot now though.

Sorry, people like that just really push all the wrong buttons with me.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
so your car won't start? Oh, sounds like it jumped timing.

*work work work*

*crank crank crank*

*crank crank* BOOM

Scared the poo poo out of and deafened me from two bays over and brought everybody into the shop, even the store guys.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

No poo poo. A Kia is too good for him...hell, a riding lawnmower is too good for him. :psypop:

HEY GENIUS: drat near every modern car manufacturer has made an interference engine with a timing belt. Guess you'd better sue all of them too!

What kind of stupid entitled oval office do you have to be to think that a timing belt every 60k and plugs every 15k isn't reasonable maintenance? Holy hell, just a few decades ago you'd be rebuilding the engine at 60k. Not to mention that looks more like detonation damage than valves and pistons meeting. I guess that's kinda moot now though.

Sorry, people like that just really push all the wrong buttons with me.

No totally agreed. You break it, its your damned fault. Quit bitching, everyone else with a timing belt interference engine SOMEHOW makes it well into the high 300k miles, so either they just have better luck....or they actually maintain their engines.

Which could it be.....

Beast Pussy posted:

so your car won't start? Oh, sounds like it jumped timing.

*work work work*

*crank crank crank*

*crank crank* BOOM

Scared the poo poo out of and deafened me from two bays over and brought everybody into the shop, even the store guys.

What the hell happened? Backfire? Gas in the muffler? Or someone clog it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

CommieGIR posted:

What the hell happened? Backfire? Gas in the muffler? Or someone clog it?
when the timing was off it ended up dumping gas into the exhaust even though he was cranking with the gas pedal to the floor (which usually cuts fuel delivery on OBDII vehicles) and eventually the gas wanted to see new places so it escaped loudly.

The car was a mess anyway. Somebody else put in a new timing belt and got the timing wrong to begin with and coupled with an old tensioner it must've gone even more off when, according to the owner, it backfired one day when he went to start it. I'm amazed he was able to drive it to the shop at all.