Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

That's what I was thinking. The calipers are likely fine, but the lines are already rusting, and the master cylinder and ABS pump aren't designed for that kind of heat. No telling what kind of damage was done to the electrical system, particularly with that loom that runs next to one of the lines.

Unfortunately the shop's insurance will likely take the hit, even though all they did was remove a caliper. Gonna be ugly no matter what.

edit: I sent 14" a text asking about it, apparently the car was in there for "boiling brake fluid" anyway, and followed it up with: "Haha dudes drivin it into the ground and scrapping it soon, he didn't care at all. Replaced what was necessary and he picked it up". :drat:

Then id put it on the owner.. Tell them that the system was shot and that it caused it.
Honestly I'm surprised that the abs system had that kind of power flowing through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

tater_salad posted:

Honestly I'm surprised that the abs system had that kind of power flowing through it.

My 91 Volvo's 2nd thickest positive cable goes to the ABS module. Its thicker than the wire from the alternator to the battery.

MisterSparkle
Jan 16, 2004
banishes dirt to the land of wind and ghosts
abs pressure pumps and solenoids draw huge amounts of current due to the required force and speed required for actuation.

some specs I've seen seem to suggest surge currents of 60-80A.

basically, inductive loads are a bitch.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I guess that's not too surprising since the ABS solenoids and motor(s) probably need a fair amount of juice.

OTOH never doubt the ability of a short to pump ridiculous amounts of current through anything. I've had dealings with very low voltage things (we're talking a couple of millivolts at best) that were shorted and left the chassis of the device too hot to touch.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Mechanical failure in progress at the shop. Somehow someone grounded the battery to short on the brake hardline and the master cylinder is boiling over and the lines are glowing red. On standby with the extinguishers.

this happened to the clutch of my friends integra.
he wondered why teh hell he couldn't get it to start... then the smoke came.

I guess that stainless steel braided clutch line wasn't such a great idea after all.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

this happened to the clutch of my friends integra.
he wondered why teh hell he couldn't get it to start... then the smoke came.

I guess that stainless steel braided clutch line wasn't such a great idea after all.

I had one of those experiences in the pickup. Positive cable to the starter grounded out on the motor mount, the shortest path back to the battery was apparently through my power steering high line, which promptly exploded. It was cool in that "hay this is a novel way to get stranded" sort of way.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
On my Integra, the ground bolt was a few inches away from the battery and just clamped near the edge of the hood opening. Well that bolt got a little rusted and wasn't conducting.
So I would go out and try to start it, it would light up the dash and then when I turned the key I would hear a CLICK! and then it would go completely dead. Took me 2 weeks and someone standing on the other side of the hood to realize that when I tried to start it, it was jumping a spark all the way from the battery terminal to the bolt, arcing a little piece out of it and draining the battery.
So I took that bolt off, cleaned it and the wire, and put it back together, even with all the little divots eaten out of the top of it. Car ran fine.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well not when you connect it to a 12V line :v:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

My 91 Volvo's 2nd thickest positive cable goes to the ABS module. Its thicker than the wire from the alternator to the battery.

I was brain farting.. I was thinking only of the sensors, not the solenoids.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

MisterSparkle posted:

abs pressure pumps and solenoids draw huge amounts of current due to the required force and speed required for actuation.

some specs I've seen seem to suggest surge currents of 60-80A.

basically, inductive loads are a bitch.

This is also true of a/c compressor clutches :eng101:

As to how I found that out, I do not wish to ever speak of it again.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Not my picture, but how in the gently caress does this even happen?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Shroomie posted:

Caliper pin breaks.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Shroomie posted:

Dear lord, that looks like the same type of wheel my E46 sport wheels are, hope it's not common...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Shroomie posted:

Judging by the lip, one gently caress of a pothole/curb/wheelchair jumped out in front of the car.

I bet that made one hell of a bang

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Fermunky posted:

Dear lord, that looks like the same type of wheel my E46 sport wheels are, hope it's not common...

It is an OEM BMW wheel.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

some texas redneck posted:

I bet that made one hell of a bang
I put a ding like that in a wheel once (luckily, no crack), the hard edge of a rather square pothole through a 40-profile tyre at about 45mph. Yeah, you notice.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I put a ding like that in a wheel once (luckily, no crack), the hard edge of a rather square pothole through a 40-profile tyre at about 45mph. Yeah, you notice.

I nailed a 4x8 on the freeway going about 70 once. That was a fun repair bill.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
"It sounds different than normal when you are trying to start it"
No poo poo?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

DefaultPeanut posted:

"It sounds different than normal when you are trying to start it"
No poo poo?

Hmm seems a bit out of adjustment.
Is that a 1cyl
Dohv lawnmower?
Does I have veeteek ?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shroomie posted:

It's certainly an interesting situation when the tyre is holding the wheel together.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

tater_salad posted:

Hmm seems a bit out of adjustment.
Is that a 1cyl
Dohv lawnmower?
Does I have veeteek ?

BRP Rotax engine from an ATV.
150cc. Skipped a few teeth on the timing chain.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

einTier posted:

Ten year old me really used to draw cars like that. I blame CARtoons magazine.

This is the second time I've seen this magazine referenced recently and each time it's happened what I am reminded of was reading Krass and Bernie as a kid which was drawn by George Trosley and how awkward it was when I transitioned to Hustler a few years later and there was George again, not quite using the same characters but almost.

When I was around 12 I used the Let's Draw the 1982 Camaro to draw a poster for the science fair and they attempted to call me out for cheating but when I showed them the magazine and how I did it, I ended up with 1st prize.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Hm, something doesn't look right about this fuel pump.

Let's take a clo...:gonk:

More of a PO failure than anything, but who the gently caress considers JB Weld a good idea for electrical connections near high-pressure fuel?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Its not the best of ideas/execution but at least they were on the right track. It isn't electrically conductive after setting so had the wiring been sufficiently covered the connectors would have been insulated.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That fuel pump/filter arrangement looks familiar, but I can't decide if it was from my '88 Volvo 240 or from my '79 280ZX. Or am I wrong on both counts?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
It's from an '89 240. Fortunately, those globs came off the posts pretty easily, but now I need to figure out what I'm going to do when I wire the pump back in-the connectors Volvo used aren't an off-the-shelf part, and I don't think standard bullet connectors are going to cut it.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

zundfolge posted:

It's from an '89 240. Fortunately, those globs came off the posts pretty easily, but now I need to figure out what I'm going to do when I wire the pump back in-the connectors Volvo used aren't an off-the-shelf part, and I don't think standard bullet connectors are going to cut it.
I have seen this type of kludge before. It happens when the nuts for the old pump of a different pitch are cross-threaded onto the new pumps terminals forcing a creative solution for termination. Also when the original or new nuts and hardware are lost or missing.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

B4Ctom1 posted:

I have seen this type of kludge before. It happens when some dumbfuck tries to fix poo poo on their own, "To save money!".

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
are the threads even remotely salvageable? I'd try cleaning them up and soldering on pigtails that could be properly connectorized. Or just replace the whole pump over it.. seems like a waste but I've done it with alternators that I decided were electrical hazards.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
There aren't any threads. The stock wiring has push-on connectors, like these:

that go into a plastic collar surrounding the stud. Unfortunately, those connectors are long gone from the harness, and there doesn't appear to be any similar replacement on the open market. I'm probably going to have to use solder and heatshrink for the time being.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's an adorable little distributor.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Change your BMW's oil regularly, every 19K miles.

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

Source

quote:

The stage-1 LPT disk contained 174 blades, all of which exhibited semi-crystalline fracture surfaces, typical of overload fractures and consistent with the secondary fractures associated with impacts from blade debris

Contributing safety factors
• The in-flight malfunction of the aircraft’s right engine was a result of a cascading rupture of the stage-1 LPT blades.
• Fracture of the stage-1 LPT blades was probably precipitated by thermal degradation of the blade alloy, resulting in excessive creep extension, tip shroud/seal interference and blade rupture.
• Material characteristics of some of the LPT blades installed in engine 858322 were consistent with a raw material manufacturing cast that had previously been identified as being susceptible to creep rupture [minor safety issue].
Other key findings
• LPT blades do not have a manufacturer-prescribed service life and there is no requirement to record the service history of individual blades.

I get email notifications from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau on safety-related incidents for rail, air and sea incidents. Most of the time it's some chucklefuck who can't load a plane properly or a railway safeworking incident in the middle of nowhere, but every so often there's a gem like this one.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

b0nes posted:

Change your BMW's oil regularly, every 19K miles.

Mmmm, Bavarian chocolate

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Are those photos from the same guy on bimmerforums.com that didn't change his oil for like 60k miles or something? Pretty impressive still.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah I can't imagine that it gets that bad after 19k miles?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I wonder how long you can go without an oil change with an otherwise well maintained car running on synthetic under light driving?

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Shaocaholica posted:

I wonder how long you can go without an oil change with an otherwise well maintained car running on synthetic under light driving?

Assuming you plumb in a good external accessory oil filter? In that case, basically until your car consumes the oil.

Otherwise? Not that long. Oil gets contaminated with carbon quite fast.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

ACEofsnett posted:

In that case, basically until your car consumes the oil.
Not really. Oil isn't just a there-or-not thing. It breaks down and turns to poo poo even if it doesn't leak out or get burned no matter how well you filter it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

On some modern cars, 15-20k is really not a stretch. I do 7500 miles in my turbocharged direct-injected four cylinder that's known to be harsh on its oils. With a larger sump and no turbo, the oil life could be considerably lengthened.