Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

BabyJesus posted:

I think some of the coils are hidden behind the wheel/tire.

Nope, that's it, there just aren't that many turns in the OEM springs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Looks like one of those giant fuckoff earth movers.

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 7, 2010

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

hatefulsquid posted:

I agree with everything you said, just wanted to point out that "reasonably profitable" is a laughable term when applied to the oil industry.

I know it. Goddamn under-performing assholes. :argh:

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Geoj posted:

Cases like this make me believe insurance is little more than a scam. Homeowners/liability insurance won't cover the car because its a car, and the car insurance won't cover it because the building collapsed on it/burned down around it (etc.)

I suspect the issue is that he was renting out spots in the garage. Insurance policies are quite specific about what they do and do not cover. Read your policy. "I though it was covered" won't cut it.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

jamal posted:

335i we have in here. like 30k miles and religious oil changes with bmw 5w30 synthetic:

Isn't this why God gave us seafoam?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Vanagoon posted:

I wonder what the sound of an engine block being busted up by the rogue end of a broken crank having a mad fit is.

Pretty much like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELiAoaZtbxw&feature=related&t=1m10s

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The Scientist posted:

If the wheel is no longer a part of the car, are you still liable for it? If it had caused an accident, my entire legal defense would have been the single statement "that could have been anybody's wheel :colbert:"

This would probably be a better defense strategy if it weren't trivially easy to locate you, seeing as how you're stuck on the opposite shoulder missing a wheel.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

nitrogen posted:

This supercharger is a lifetime, maintenance-free part.

What a coincidence! It's reached the end of its lifetime! :haw:

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Longinus00 posted:

Do the engineers get told to do crazy stuff like this in order to drive up repair costs? I mean it's not inconceivable that there were real packaging reasons to put all this hardware against the firewall but...

My considered opinion on this matter after working on my wife's passat and observing some all around terrible design choices (this is a vehicle that made me tool-throwing angry while trying to change the battery) is that VW only hires the automotive engineers that weren't good enough to work for BMW, Porsche, or Mercedes.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Godholio posted:

Driving in the left land on the interstate at 20mph under the speed limit, holding a video camera in one hand and talking on the phone. AI indeed.

I'm having a hard time imagining a more stereotypical lovely American driver.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Found this under the valve cover in the 911 today:

And thus my small job to fix leaky valve covers just became a full on engine rebuild. :(

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Yep. A bit annoying since the 3.2 isn't supposed to be as susceptible to breaking head studs, but this car has been a track rat for me and the PO, so it's definitely taken a beating.

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 31, 2012

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Motronic posted:

Do it right.

That's the plan. Inspect everything down to the crank, rebuild what's needed. Hoping I can keep it under $10K if I do the assembly/disassembly myself and pay only for parts and machining.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Motronic posted:

Chances are high that if it's been running right and had good compression and power that you'll be in great shape. Those motors are little tanks and don't often need the full on everything during a rebuild.

Hope for the best and plan for the worst, right? I wouldn't be too concerned about the bottom end except my fan pulley has a wobble (axial runout) that was not cured by replacing the pulley. If the engine is going to come out and apart I want to get the crankshaft checked to verify that isn't the source of the problem. And given that level of disassembly, the pistons & cylinders will be inspected as part of the process. The engine ran fine (I was working on it to try and fix some drat oil leaks) so I'm optimistic that I won't need new pistons or cylinders.

Once I get the engine on the stand, I'll check compression and leakdown and compare it to the numbers I have from the PPI a year ago.

I'm trying to do this rebuild in an economically *efficient* manner so anything that's expensive to replace and still in good shape is going right back in the motor.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

charliemonster42 posted:

-Control arm bushings, aka lollipops. They wear out and let the wheel wander. When you replace them, you'll wonder why you hadn't sooner.

This. Your FCABs are toast. Your rotor retaining bolt has gently caress all to do with your problem.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Crosswinds make for some hairy-looking landings, but the landing gear is designed to take it.

Does this count as drifting a 747? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtnL4KYVtDE

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

HAHAHA holy gently caress. What is the cheap option here?

Normal cast iron vented rotors and multi-pot callipers are standard and will be fully up to the task, even on track. There is really no reason to get the CCCBs given the absurd cost.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Das Volk posted:

I have no idea what they think they're doing putting those on that car, that's what, an additional 15% on top of the base price?

"Porsche offers them, so we must, too."
"OK. The margins on this option are fat and we'll sell at least a few. "

I really don't think the reasoning went any deeper than that.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Bugdrvr posted:

I have no idea what the BMWs cost but if I were buying a Porsche that I planned to keep I would absolutely buy the PCCBs.
They are light as hell, are supposed to last over 100k and will pretty much never ever fade no matter how hard you push it (plus you get the baller yellow calipers).
On a 9x1 car, doing the brakes front and rear twice (probably 30-40k miles depending on how hard you drive it) will put you right at the initial cost.
The composite brakes would only be worn half way by then. They do also help resale as well.

Hey man it's your (hypothetical) 8+ grand, but even the PCCBs don't make sense from an operational cost perspective.

While the CC rotors can indeed last over 100K miles, that's only under ideal-to-moderate conditions. Heavy track use will shorten their lifespan considerably. They're also fragile as hell - minor chips, nicks, or cracks can render them unsafe to use and you can do this as easily as carelessly removing a wheel from the car. Also, the brake pads won't last as long as the rotors under even ideal conditions, so you still have to replace those a few times. And because the rotors are so fragile, lots of people replace pads with tons of life left because they don't want to risk any damage to the rotors.

I've never had brake job labor quoted from a porsche dealer, but there's almost no way it can be expensive enough to make up the cost difference given that a replacement set of CC Rotors is eighteen loving thousand dollars, and iron rotors are <$1k. This is even more true if you turn your own wrenches.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

kastein posted:

Tantalum or niobium oxide? Sure. MLC? Sure. Aluminum electrolytics? FUUUUUCK no.

Works great until your low-cost manufacturer/integrator starts bitching about BOM cost.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Holy poo poo.
Can someone explain what's going on here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfnEuRA7-vo

This video appears to be about the same incident and has some explanation (and some gruesome details of his death). Basically his fatal sin was using a common 600v multimeter to probe a 2300V circuit. It touched off arc flash and sent a threw a mean fireball straight at his face, burning him to death.

An Angry Bug posted:

Please tell me it happens fast enough.

Unfortunately, no.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Chinatown posted:

This is when you sue the gently caress out of someone, FYI.

If they don't have any recoverable assets (the vast overwhelming majority of 20 year olds don't), suing them not only won't make you any better off, it will actually leave you in a worse position because you'll be out your legal fees even if you win.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

A Melted Tarp posted:

Isn't there a push for modern diesels to replace the ubiquitous Lycomings and Continentals that require 100LL?

Given that diesels engines suffer from high weight and low power output, I can't imagine they'd make a good engine for GA.

VVVV That article seems to confirm the industry has the same reservations, basically "Yes, diesels are heavier and less powerful, but 100LL isn't going to be around for much longer"

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 3, 2014

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/LIS0/65700.oap?ck=Search_65700_-1_-1&keyword=65700

Guess how many of these we've sold since we put it in stock 2 months ago? We have more specialty ford tools sitting on our shelves than any other manufacturer combined.

I've done spark plugs on a ford 3v. That tool is worth every penny.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Ah yes, 70s speedos - All the resolution at the extremes of the scale, just where it's not needed.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

wolrah posted:

You can not tow a U-Haul trailer with a Ford Explorer unless it's one of the 2011+ models based on the Taurus chassis that's changed over from a truck to a jacked up wagon.

This is actually an improvement. Until recently, they would not rent to Explorer owners at all, even the new ones. At least they admitted it had nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with litigation costs

UHaul posted:

U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul – we have built our success for over 60 years by saying 'yes' to our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

USDM truck tow ratings assume you'll be pulling the rated load:
1. At 80 MPH
2. On an 8% grade
3. In death valley on the hottest day of the year
4. While being a complete retard
5. With your lawyer's phone number on speed dial

USDM car tow ratings assume:
1. If they tell you it can't tow at all you'll buy a much-more-profitable truck instead

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

here's my favorite version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNcpuJ5mkhQ

e: lol, looks like it's the same model of car, or at least one of the GM cross-brands.

GODDAMMIT, QUIT HITTING YOUR BROTHER. DON"T MAKE ME STOP THIS CAR!

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

OTOH, I have an expedition that turns on the low fuel light with 5 gallons left in the tank.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

^^ How does auto stop/start work with a manual?

Auto start/stop is best with a manaul, just like most things automotive. N + Brake only = auto stop. Touch clutch or gas = auto start. This makes it very easy to engage the system when you want it and inhibit it when you don't. The timing also works better as the "engage clutch, shift to first" sequence lets the engine fire back up just in time for you to hit the gas. Unlike in automatics, where the lag is more noticeable because the engine doesn't fire until you take your foot of the brake, requiring you to pause for a second before hitting the gas.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The Locator posted:

How do they deal with air conditioning with these systems, go to an electric compressor?

Nah, the compressor stops when the engine does. On cars with auto climate control, the engine can restart early to run the compressor if there's sufficient cooling demand.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

EKDS5k posted:

That air cooled Deutz I posted about a while ago had a procedure where you insert a bunch of shims under the cylinder when you install it, then lay a length of 2mm solder across the piston. Torque down the heads and bar the engine over. Then remove the heads, and measure the thickness of the solder after it was crushed. It gave a spec for the crush and you were supposed to lift the cylinder up and cut out the appropriate number of shims to get the right amount of clearance between the pistons and the head. Didnt put enough shims in on assembly and you need to increase the clearance? Guess you're taking the piston all the way back out, removing the cylinder, and reassembling with more shims, then repeating the process.

Guess who had to assemble an engine twice?

Aircooled 911s are similar. No headgaskets, so the valve-to-piston clearance is governed by shimming the cylinder-to-block interface. You really want to get your measurements right the first time because it is a pain to keep disassembling and reassembling to adjust and check.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I'll have you know I paid extra for the AWD on my SUV. Mobbing at 60 while your cars are doing 25.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Cross posting here for your amusement

SlapActionJackson posted:

Cota is hard on the brakes, kids

Also, don't be a dumbass like me and run your brake pads all the way down to the backing plate and then some

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Early X5s especially have a poo poo ton of rear camber from the factory - it was part of BMW's effort to keep them shiny side up and understeery. Combine that with the portly curb weight, RWD bias, and general BMW driver enthusiasm and they're absolutely tire-eaters. Expensive tire-eaters.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

NoWake posted:

These guys are hustling, buying cars that have zero value in the US and hauling to Mexico where they'll have every last drop wrung out of them.

IIRC, a triple tow is legal in a lot of US states, but a quad-tow isn't. At least anywhere I know of. Even if these guys passed through a state where triples aren't legal, highway patrol just wants them through & out of their jurisdiction so they become someone else's problem.

Pulling them over and handing out tickets/impounding for unsafe operation just means you've wasted your time and a tow driver's time, and your impound yard now has three more junk vehicles that will never be claimed. These operators aren't exactly registered with the DOT, anyway, and I've never seen them driving so fast they'd create much of a problem if something broke loose.

20 years ago, you'd see the road trains 5 cars long here in TX. A coworker transplant from Michigan even called the highway patrol first time he saw one and they told him as long as it wasn't more than 5 cars and the rear one had some kind of functional brake lights, there wasn't much they could do.

But something must have changed de jure or de facto, I never see more than 3 these days.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I figured out why my clutch was dragging

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

are you supposed to get out and unhitch one side before all your turns?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Ruflux posted:

I was doing the slippery course part of my license

The what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

How much more training did the Swedish license require before you could even sit for the test?