Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, it's totalled. But if it's a 530d (which I think it is), someone could be doing a pretty cool engine swap soon.

No, definitively an E91.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

The Pennsylvania Turnpike is owned by the....wait for it...wait for it....Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission. They fight with PennDOT like carts and dogs, as PennDOT has been trying to take over or get millions of dollars of highway funding back from PTC. They owe them something like $450 million dollars a year now, and all they get is some lousy maintenance.

The bonds issued to build the turnpike were paid off on schedule and it should be a free road now according to the bill of goods sold back then. Surprise, that's not going to happen.

Is this one of those turnpikes owned by a sovereign wealth fund through a bunch of shady companies that Matt Taibbi writes about?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

People from other states are bad drivers. Just like people of other ethnicities are bad drivers. And other genders. Basically anybody not you is a bad driver.

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot, anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Punching three holes into the door of an R34 was a far greater crime than blowing up that thing.

Surely the doors on the GT-R are the same as on any two-door R34?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Wouldn't doing it on a car with catalytic converters cause all the poo poo that loosens to clog up the cats?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

We do this. We charge around $600 for a pre delivery inspection. It takes about two hours and the breakdown is thus:
-Peel interior+exterior plastics off the car, about 30 minutes
-Wash and groom car to an anal-retentive degree, about an hour
-Drive to the petrol station and fill up, which is about fifteen minutes plus the cost of a tank of gas
-Configure the various electronic settings
-Inspect the car inside and out, on a hoist, set the tyre pressures, adjust handbrake/drums, check the fluids, affix lube sticker, enter PDI online on the government's system, stick on a warrant of fitness (mandatory safety inspection for all vehicles)

Can the customer opt out of this?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Computer viking posted:

Corner to corner in Finnmark (the northernmost county in Norway) is apparently about 15 hours if you stay within the border. Cutting through Finland would save about one hour.

I've done Honningsvåg to Stockholm in one day. 1703 km, 16 hours and 45 minutes. 4 stops. Did it in the manual 1993 BMW 530i Touring I owned at the time, and averaged 1,2L/10km.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Computer viking posted:

Ha, Google thinks that should have taken you 21 and half hours. At a guess, the roads up in north Sweden are straight and empty?

Yeah, this was a Sunday if I remember right, and traffic the whole E4 was very light.

What was funny was that as I got a bit into Northern Sweden I started noticing that every third car was an old american convertible, filled with guys dressed up as greasers and girls with polkadot dresses and other 50s looks. I thought to myself that there was probably an amcar meet going on in the area, but I kept seeing that sort of thing almost all the way to Uppsala, so the raggare was strong in Sweden that Sunday in 2007!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Unlimited slip differential

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
In my BMW E91, there is a 10 amp fuse that controls two things:

1) The HVAC control panel
2) A light bulb at the bottom edge of the rear hatch, visible as the red spot next to the latch here :

What do you think happen when that light bulb socket on the hatch gets smacked every time the hatch is opened and closed, and builds up a nice layer of corrosion on the contacts after years of sitting next to a cold and wet gap on the car?

Exactly, your HVAC is dead, your windows are fogging up, and you have no idea why.

I went through 4-5 fuses and considered replacing my HVAC controls before it finally occured to me to replace the $12 socket module. Ever since that the HVAC panel has worked perfectly.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

There are no non haunted euro electrical systems. I once had a VW Rabbit Pickup with the horn shorted through the gearstick.

https://youtu.be/-qJx8i6ULwk

The switch on the steering wheel did not then, nor has ever worked.

I had a 1986 Audi 80CC where the ignition somehow shorted through the reverse switch. Backed into a parking spot, turned off the ignition and pulled the key out. Engine still ran. Put the car into neutral, and the engine stopped.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
What kind of truck is it supposed to be used on??

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I had an Audi 80CC where I could put it in reverse, then pull out the key, and it would keep running. Put it in neutral or any other gear, and the engine would stop.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

afen posted:

Tesla taxi went for a wild ride in Bergen. The police are not ruling out technical issues. Looks like the brake lights are on?

https://twitter.com/ingdal/status/1657320769502736384

The police is asking Tesla for the black box data, the driver is hosed.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Elviscat posted:

Speaking of gasoline in trash bags maybe that's what happened here?

Why don't they make the whole car out of license plate material?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

WTFBEES posted:

I am a fan of this, particularly when it's only the driver's door opening that kills the radio. Sometimes you've gotta catch the end of the podcast before getting out of the car.

I bought a 2015 BMW 3-series, and it did not shut off the radio until you actually lock the drivers door. It feels very unnatural to get out of the car, close the door and still see the screen on and hear the radio playing.

A bluetooth adapter and a few minutes with a coding app later, and the car now shuts off the radio when you open the drivers door... most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Alarbus posted:

Take your foot off the brake pedal and push the start/stop button again, and it should shut the car off.

On a manual, you can have your foot on the brake but not the clutch, and it'll turn off and OH MAN did I ever restart the automatic SO MUCH after years of training.

Turning the car off twice, a perfectly normal thing. I restarted it ONCE and decided this wasn't for me.

It's only getting worse.

https://www.carthrottle.com/news/ignition-modern-bmw-doesnt-turn-until-you-lock-it-and-i-dont-get-why