Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

BlackShadow posted:

That channel is a glorious source of :science:.

"We're not going to get the bubbling over till we hit 100-150 Kilowatt. Obviously I haven't got that in the house, but we'll get it from somewhere don't worry about that."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJI39lZoGpI

As an engineer myself, this man is now a loving legend.

N'awww, it's a cute little transformer. :3:

I mean hell, my solid-state exciter isolation transformers are at least 40kVA with a high K-factor to boot. I don't consider a transformer "big" until you get over 10MVA. I am curious where he's going to get the 100-150kVA from.

Anyways, it's also kind of neat to see that people this British actually do exist. And he's going to hook it to 300A at 240V, wow. That's greater than 4/0 cable.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Ossetepo posted:

I happen to be on a similar mailing list, but mine is for the worldwide electric power industry. Your failed turbine reminded me of these pictures, which I got several years ago.

This is from a fossil plant, which means I can post it here without getting fired. If you work in the industry, you've probably seen this before; it's the eight million dollar roll of paper towels picture that FME coordinators everywhere love.

That's a 500 MW gas turbine from a plant in Texas. Operators entered the turbine housing during an outage to clean the inlet guide vanes. Upon their exit, they left their paper towels inside the inlet mouth. This resulted in a partially blocked inlet, and thus a low pressure zone inside the turbine. 23 hours later, they had what you see above.

Wooooooooow! I've gotta show the people at work this. You lost a 500MW turbine? Unbelievable.

Now as far as the Corolla goes, it the car had a gun, this would've never... wait...

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 24, 2011

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
This was in the electrical A/T thread, but this is quite the mechanical failure for the gearheads here:

Overhead Crane Failure

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
There was also a Power Point presentation I saw out of I think Iran of all places - they had a power plant where something extremely bad happened - the generator was absolutely destroyed, and at some point it looks like the shaft coupling snapped off between the compressor and the generator.

When the coupling broke it crashed through a brick wall, knocked over a heavy control cabinet (looks like PLC and relaying), and landed on the other side of the room.

EDIT: Found it.

Oh, that trashed generator makes me want to cry...

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
There was a power station in South Africa that was doing a turbine overspeed test. Basically they pushed the turbine into overspeed on purpose, there were three systems that would automatically regulate or shut the system down, and a person ready at an e-stop button to kill the test if things went sideways.

In ten seconds the turbine goes from 3000 RPM to 4500 RPM, 150% of rated speed. (It should never exceed about 3450 RPM, or 115%).

All three systems failed, and the guy who was supposed to press the emergency stop if things went sideways did not press the emergency stop. (Reports say he wasn't even where he was supposed to be.)

Things went very, very sideways.

https://nolstuijt.wordpress.com/2011/11/27/duvha-powerstation-turbine-blowup-sa/

Things that were trashed:
  • The turbine
  • The generator
  • The turbine hall (serious facade and even some structural damage)

If you search for "Duvha power station" there are more pictures of the chaos.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

DocCynical posted:

Well poo poo, I forgot about the field excitation for voltage regulation. I'm used to AC motors, not so much on the generation side. Learned something new.

I just wanted to take a moment to say the unless you're in an explosion proof area that brushless exciters on large synchronous motors (>1000Hp and voltages >600v) are a tool of the devil.

Constant. Tension. Brush. Holders. Plus routine inspection and cleaning by qualified personnel. And making sure that the carbon brushes are cut in to give good surface contract with the slip rings.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 10, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

DocCynical posted:

Yeah, my camera has a max of 280˚C. Anything over it just says >280˚C.

The actual wire got to 160˚C, which is super bad for something rated at 90˚C. Only replaced the lug and bolts though.

I haven't seen low voltage terminations rated for 90C. THHN I believe is rated 90 but you pretty much always need to debate it for low voltage connectors.

Now I think the 13.8kV terminations I have are rated 115C. :getin:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

IT EEES EXTREEEMLY DAYNGAREOOOUS, AHND COULD AHTTACK AT ANEEE MOHMENT, SO WE MUST DEEEAL WITH IT

(Squish)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Staged Aurora attack on Diesel engine and generator (opening and closing downstream breaker while the generator drifts out of phase.)

https://youtu.be/fJyWngDco3g

This kills the generator.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

TotalLossBrain posted:

What a neat attack. I didn't realize generator protection operates on a 15-cycle window. That's long.

Companies that build protective relays like SEL have since released a lot of documentation about how to detect or prevent an Aurora attack.

One other horrible electrical failure:
https://youtu.be/42Kn9JlXE5w

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 23, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The worst thing about bad crimps is you can get a highly intermittent connection if you do it just the right (wrong) way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Platystemon posted:

Hitler can’t get anything right.

Wo ist die Heizung?