Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!

Geirskogul posted:

But, you see, this was mainly for a Walmart, and it's cheaper to do it the way they did. What, you think they'd spend money doing things properly?

Also, something something about groups of people and it being impossible to shift blame on a group.

I find the idea of the earth opening up and swallowing an entire Wal-Mart followed by a great belch of methane hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

My brother-in-law test-drove a Viper at some dealership in Arizona a few years back (when Vipers were new). Scared the crap out of him.

I'm pretty sure the Viper was designed to be an exercise in darwins law. Those with too much money and not enough sense will be removed from the gene pool. The ones that can harness the beast ascend to a new level of consciousness. Your brother in law wasn't afraid to stare into the lions eyes, and he got to taste the candy.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
Don't forget about the 3800 series motors. I don't think I've ever heard of a single timing chain issue with one of those. God bless push rod motors.

When I was shopping for vehicle awhile back I had a brief infatuation with the Audi allroad wagons. A little research revealed the terrors of timing belt service and multi thousand dollar turbo repairs. Despite the Tupperware interior I've never regretted buying my GTP. drat thing is built like a tank and cheaper than anything to fix.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Doesn't surprise me, I know some people who will take 2.5l Audi Turbodiesel blocks and use them for petrol racers.

I remember reading that the 80's GM Diesel small blocks are coveted among the drag crowd. As a Diesel they were tragically bad, but overbuilt and well suited to racing duty.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

For instance: GM failed to add a fuel/water seperator, resulting in the fuel lines rusting out, failed to instruct dealers how to properly take care of the motor, and failed to have them put proper heavy weight oil in the engine.

That's the thing. I had it in my head that the fuel injectors were weak or something. I distinctly remember a friend of my mom having a diesel caprice. The smell of it was memorable. I recall the red velour and the smell of fake air freshener cherries. Also, the lady bitching about what a heap of poo poo that car was.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
That's a drat shame. A 350 ci Diesel should have been a force to be reckoned with. Instead, GM pretty much ruined the idea of America driving oil burners.

Besides ze Germans the diesel is still dead here.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006

bisticles posted:

A fully loaded tire busting loose will fuuuuuck you up.

No kidding. One of the rear tires exploded on a trailer a few car lengths in front of me not long ago. Sounded like a shotgun and started spewing out giant hunks of rubber as it tore itself to pieces. Scared the poo poo out of me. The truck just kept on merrily bombing on down the road too. Never even slowed down.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
That Mythbusters ended up being one of those that they had to really reach to make happen. They basically made a big pitching machine out of that truck and fired a chunk of retread out of it.

Mythbusters aside, I sure as poo poo do not want to be around any exploding tires.

On the topic of shredded tires, I've been seeing a shitload of retreads on the shoulder and often in the middle of the goddamn road. One of them is responsible for violently bifurcating my air dam. Is this just a local PA phenomenon or are dangerously lovely re manufactured tires becoming more common?

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006

MadScientistWorking posted:

No. They didn't really reach at all for that one because all they did was measure how fast the tread was speeding out when it did actually fail. The problem being that it was being flung out in every which direction except the location of where the dummy was. At that point you know you can get a tire to fail and shoot off at 40 MPH now how deadly is it.

I only meant that they had to set it up so the tread fired directly at the dummy head. After all, the myth was that an exploding tire killed a guy. They didn't have much luck with just sitting the dummy next to the running truck and blowing the spinning tire up. Even so, having one explode next to you on the road wouldn't be fun at all.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
My spare is under the trunk carpet like most cars which reminds me that I should go check it.

On the subject of spare tire placement, was the under the hood spare on the old Subarus a blessing or a curse? It looks so silly, but its definitely convenient if you have a flat. Not so much if you have to get to the engine.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
Two days of bad luck. Yesterday my girlfriends Focus had a battery death. A few days ago the brakes on my GTP started grinding. I dug into that to find....

poo poo.

The friction material made a brake for it (forgive me). Ruined the gently caress out of the rotor too. I gotta say that Autozone rocks. New rotors and pads gratis. Unfortunately I got home and it started raining like crazy. I gotta get this done so I can get to work tomorrow.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006

Brigdh posted:

Easy, some accountant figured out the cost of a recall ($X) vs the cost of paying out for the expected number of failures ($Y), and figured out that the recall would be more expensive ($X > $Y).

It happens all the time.

This is the exact logic Ford used with the Pinto and its magical exploding fuel tank. People still remember the Pinto for that to this day.

If the problem with that gun became well know it could be the end of that manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006

quote:

This explains a lot about all the hopped up power strokes I see around here.

On the subject of local tuners and shops, I used to live very close to Quigley, a conversion company that makes kick rear end off road full size vans. The only time I ever actually saw them was on flatbeds, being shipped away. I wonder why I never actually saw anybody driving one locally?

There's also a pretty well regarded tuner shop near where I work and the only thing I ever see from that place is the owners GTR.

The Harley plant is just up the road too and the area is infested with those loving things. Every year the street rod nationals comes to town and brings a few thousand hot rods and muscle cars with it. I guess that makes up for it in a way.