Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

jamal posted:

This I-beam rod doesn't look quite right:

"What, that little guy? I wouldn't worry about that little guy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I never ran into the issue in California but as soon as I came up to Seattle I've been seeing a large number of sensor failures due to corossion from the metal caps and moisture so there is definitely something to it. Mine twisted off just like that picture, too. Use plastic caps and the new TPMS sensor hardware kits even come with plastic caps to replace.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

JD Brickmeister posted:

He was using a Dremel.

I'm not entirely sure sounding is supposed to be done like that.

E: well hello new page

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Totalled? Not on his watch.

Drove in under its own power for an oil change today.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Breast Pussy posted:

You're got a pit at your Firestone? Is it a big shop? We don't have one but it'd be nice.

Quite frankly the pit scares the poo poo out of me, it's the first shop I've worked at with one and if you don't watch your step its a long, hard, corner filled way down.

E: 10 bays total I believe.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Vanagoon posted:

Edit: also if you don't mind saying what on earth could the person driving that possibly have looked like? I can't even imagine.

Didn't catch the driver, only heard the buzz and then I got the ticket. And with how ticket happy police in Seattle seem to be, it's a huge case of :psyduck:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BuckT.Trend posted:

Jesus. What part of Seattle, so I can avoid driving anywhere near there?

Ballard. He called us today and tried to get us to fix his power steering and fix the hood latch and hood struts and the sales writer had to spend 15 minutes telling him no, get it road legal and more than a piece of a guitar for a seat and we'd be happy to help. I sat there with an I told you we shouldnt have even brought it in to begin with look while listening to the conversation :D

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My alignment specs after raising it 2" so the swingarm would stop chopping through the body were 9 degrees camber each side and 1.75 degrees toe in each side. Good times.

My laptop poo poo the bed so I've only got my phone, any way to mobile upload a picture of an E30 shock that decided it'd rather punch through the fenderwell instead? And I caused a mechanical failur at work today.....mis pressed a u joint. Didn't know you can shoot needle bearings out the backside of the cap!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Mechanical failure in progress at the shop. Somehow someone grounded the battery to short on the brake hardline and the master cylinder is boiling over and the lines are glowing red. On standby with the extinguishers.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

tater_salad posted:

How does one do that, did they try to really gently caress poo poo up?

I don't know. Batterys disconnected and its a bad day all around. I've been stuck on a phantom shake since 8am and someone else got hosed over ona passat hard. The gods have forsaken us this day. Managers on the warpath, no pics for now.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Boss diagnosed the Safari brake issue. Fault with the abs computer sent an electrical charge through the brake line somehow ( :psyduck: ) and when our tech disconnected the caliper it found new and interesting paths to ground, causing the abs computer and pump to eat itself alive and try to melt the hard lines. Got some pictures, gonna see how imgur mobile works out and try to get them uploaded.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
This should work, its not cooperating with the other pictures for some reason. Cluck for huge.

Man, todays been like one constant never ending kick to the nuts. And just when you think it's over you see the kicker for the Dolphins lining one up right between your goalposts, and from between gritted teeth you hear "laces out."

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well hell ill get them sent over to Texas then. Got your message, will get right on it. It shows up for me oddly enough.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
They were definitely orange at the point I looked but there was absolutely no tactful way to take a picture what with the managers and smoke and extinguishers at the ready.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Sent Texas Redneck a buncha pics from my NHRA race yesterday, hopefully he can get them posted for me. I had no idea that the noise was that vulgar.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Bet that made a nice noise.

:stare:

I was around the 300 foot line and my vision went blurry when they went past. It went so far beyond sound and became an elemental force. It was honestly the closest I've felt to a legitimate religious exerience and I wept because of it. God only knows what one letting go would sound like.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My dad had like a 30 year old paint can of some sort of industrial carb dip, I dunked one of my old carbs and it came out shiny new in about a minute. Got some on my hands and it seriously felt like I had poured boiling water all over them instantaneously. Wonder what it was.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Visibly not too impressive, but a Jeep Grand Cherokee came in running rough the other day and my coworker found that this part here....fell out. Consider that.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Couple randoms.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lowclock posted:

I want to pop them like bubble wrap but I would probably get a steel belt in the face somehow.

I did this to a car tire much similar to that but the entire tire was bulged out to twice its size, no individual bubbles. I figured I'd lean back and poke it real quick with a ream, and the entire sidewall let go much like a soap bubble popping. It pretty neatly knocked me onto my rear end. Front shop came running out thinking something exploded.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CaptBubba posted:

My bet would be on sidewall failure, that seems to be how those tires die if they are actually driven anywhere

And not, of course, the gigantic caved in spot where it would bend if say clipping an especially deep pothole or other solid impact.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I've got that license to buy R12 too, it literally took me about 8 hours of class and I didn't really learn anything because the teacher spent more time talking about his wife than AC. Haven't really had a use for it but hey I got payed to go get it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Motronic posted:

That's a shame. Its a 1 hour online course and test. For $20. Open book.

A: got paid to take my course :).

B: like I said, probably could have done it in an hour but this dude kept TALKING.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well it sure doesn't even come close to burning race cars but I saw this at work yesterday.

Bolts are still left in the bit attached to the block.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Every single time that things posted I can't stop laughing at the six second gap of silence

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So pour that liquid glass stuff in there too. Done.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It'll never beat the simple hilarity of a thermite bucket over the hood though.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Volkswagen, I don't think we can be friends any more. I mean sure, we used to hang out all the time and have :krad: adventures all the time, but come on bro. I looked the other way all those times you said all those painfully uncomfortable things about my mom, because hey what's a good joke between friends, right? And that time Steve told me he caught you checking out furaffinity at work. Look, I won't judge, we all have our kinks. But then you linked me to your Bad Dragon testimonial video. And showed the world not only your shocking lack of shame and decency, but your lovingly crafted hand made double appendaged "personal aide."

With a picture of me haphazardly glued to it.

I....I'll always remember the good times man :smith:

2000 Passat came in with a left front upper forward ( :ironicat: ) ball joint bad. Went to remove the bolt holding them in and it wouldn't come out. So we tried soaking it in penetrant. No dice. Tried hammering it. Nope. Tried air hammering it. Hah I wish. Induction heated till it was glowing hot. Bent me over and asked for more.

So we had to do whatever it took. Which involved dropping the strut, pulling the hub off, and all this bullshit.

Sure would have been nice to just unbolt the arms but no, that'd be too easy.

gently caress you, man. We used to be cool.

Oh did I mention the tie rod bolt was the same poo poo so I wound up unthreading it apart rather than deal with all this poo poo.

Behold, what originally was supposed to be a 1 hour job, 3 days later after everything had been approved.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

nm posted:

Those are notorious for that. Plus if you did it slightly wrong (i think there needs to be weight on it when you tighten something, I don't remember), it will be back in 10k mi.

Dont say this :(

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Noted, I was told she might be coming back in a few weeks to do the other 3 :suicide: and I'll just, ahem, touch it up as it were when that happens.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

dev/null posted:

I realized that with the head gone I could reassemble the nut and by tightening, extract the bolt the other way.

:aaa: I love you guys.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah that's what eventually got it out. It's also what bent it over in the first place. I couldn't get it to come out in the car after repeated attempts but for whatever reason after I had that poo poo all removed and clamped in a vice it finally decided to cooperate.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
After a certain point I'd just let 'em have the car, which is what I imagine he did.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Noise going over bumps you say?

:stare:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That is a Voyager :downs:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I saw that when it was first posted but hadn't followed up on the aftermath. That is an amazing photo no matter how you cut it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The safety cone sells it for me.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
In all seriousness do you know of any way to get ahold of a blown out headgasket like that for some wall art? Do any teams sell parts? I've seen a couple NHRA castoff odds and ends on ebay and the like but nothing nice and easy to hang like that head gasket.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kastein posted:

Unless you specifically want one from a funny car it's pretty easy, wait till you blow one (alright maybe easier in some vehicles than others...) and then hang it on the wall. I had the rear head gasket out of my M54A2 on the wall in my cube at Intel, it was a pretty good conversation starter.

I do want one from a funny car, I've been making a collection of the head gaskets pulled out at work and so far have Subaru and Jeep covered :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

EightBit posted:

I'd rather get covered in moly grease than cooking oil :colbert:. I didn't get that bit of olfactory weirdness that makes people retch upon smelling molybdenum disulfide, though.

It smells? :psyduck: