Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

LOO posted:

A-10 with some Battle Damage:

A-10s are so loving :black101: I bet the pilot kept killing tanks and poo poo for a while before returning to base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Ericadia posted:

IIRC they overloaded it by about 200,000lbs

This truck is rated to haul 800,000lbs, whats another 200,000 going to do?

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

orange lime posted:

That's amazing.

Left side: delicious chocolate pudding
Right side: huge pile of poo poo
Camshafts in the background: tar

I'm going to go outside and hug my BMW

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I just did the valve cover gasket, and it was spotless in there with about 200k miles on the clock. Regular oil changes with synthetic make a difference.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Fermunky posted:

I frequent the bimmerforum and the guy who worked on this did it for a friend. All he says is "The person had a reason for this, and thats all I'll say"... That's an E46 3 series engine, which due to some reason with the way it's valvetrain is built is prone to sludging problems.

It was more likely due to the 60k mile oil change interval than any design problem.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

InterceptorV8 posted:

Those have to be the worst storage shelves I have ever seen.

What else would you expect from a Russian vodka warehouse?

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
My friend's dad used to be a tool and die maker at Boeing, years and years ago. The attention to detail has stuck with him. He knows his poo poo, but it can be frustrating working with him.

"For fucks sake, it's a car hauler not an F-16. 2 Thousandths is a perfectly acceptable gap!"

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I know it's a bit tame for this thread, but what could cause this to happen to a spider gear from a Hyundai Elantra?

It started acting up in September before there was any ice on the road, but I guess my brother could have hooked the tires up after spinning out on an oil spot or something.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
That seems like something he might do. Whatevs, I got paid to replace the transmission.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
It sure looks like something smacked the plugs.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

KaiserBen posted:

Wait, whaddya mean oil's not supposed to be green-blue? And why is there 15 quarts of it?

Oh. Oops.

Hello there Mr. Wristpin! Fancy meeting you here!

More to come as I finish the autopsy.

That looks expensive. e90 M3 engine?

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I've found that the best way to remove a broken screw extractor is to wail on it with a punch and a sledge hammer. They're usually brittle enough that you can bust them up and pull them out in pieces.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
OK, so it's not as graphic as 90% of this thread but it very nearly caused a Horrible Sphincter Failure:

The wheel bearing went from fine to screaming to scattered all over the interstate within 2 miles. The horrible weight distribution, stiff springs, and huge rear sway bar kept that corner from dragging so I was able to tricycle my way to a controlled stop.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

kastein posted:

Huh. Another one (stolen from a friend on another forum)

I can smell it from here.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That's why I stopped doing trackdays. I couldn't afford to see my GSXR cartwheel through a gravel trap, and I'd be doubly hosed because then I wouldn't be able to get to work. It was sucking all the fun out of it, and was ultimately just a waste of money when I wasn't really pushing myself at all.

It's nice having a vehicle you don't give a gently caress about.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Raw_Beef posted:

Its really common for people to use oil line fed gauges when they cant figure out how to wire an electric one. Most of the time this is when the OEM gauge has failed, but in Alfa's case, who can say? I've replaced dozens of alfa convertible tops and frames, but i had to call the local alfa shop to ask them where the trunk handle was. The whole car is a mechanical failure.

I'm a bad person who is dumb and cheap and I have parts store mechanical oil pressure gauges in my 3 vehicles.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I'm surprised there aren't gouges in the pavement.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Mining Mayhem on Facebook is full of this stuff

User Error fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 24, 2013

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I recently got one of these, and I loving love torquing things now. Torquing is loving great.

Is that the one that can do torque angle as well? A friend has one, I used it to put bearings in a BMW motor once. It was magical.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

chrisgt posted:

It's possible that actually comes out if you weld a nut to the cut-off stump of the bolt.

I've never gotten that to work.

If you can get it out with an Ez-Out you'll be crowned AI moderator.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Krakkles posted:

His website (https://www.kleinbottle.com) is hilarious. Big Catch-22 and Hitchhiker's Guide energy.

I'm going to have to get one.

Amazing, now I know what to get my dad for Christmas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I just ordered one and he sent me a personal email including 13 pictures of him weighing it, showing it off in the garden, and packing it on his work bench. A+ would buy weird bottle from weird excellent dude again.