Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Nam Taf posted:

Here's pics from an EMD 710 I was doing some work on.

The Wikipedia article says that the EMD 710 is a two-stroke, but I think I see valves in the first picture! Are they just large mechanical injectors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

scapulataf posted:

This was posted many pages ago, but still awesome.

By 'many pages ago', you mean 'ten posts ago', right?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

dietcokefiend posted:

More like a year or more ago towards the beginning of the thread ;)

There must be something I'm missing because the quoted post is here, on this page:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222431&pagenumber=57#post387445407

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Longinus00 posted:

You can detect rail breaks because of loss of conductivity but how would you go about detecting that situation before it causes an accident?

Testing for an increased resistance in the rails? I don't know.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Two Finger posted:

Here's a mechanical failure to make up for it.

Oil mist?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Looks like the round sling failed - you can see the fibers seperating as it tears. They are clearly rated and labelled, don't suffer from wear/fatigue, and damage is easily noticable when inspecting the outer jacket. Someone must really not want their job any more.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

And here was me thinking it was a poor choice of sacrificial anode.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Jonny Nox posted:

One of the keys has a washer on top of the key.

It makes it seem like the owner put thought into this repair :psyduck:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Well, that's definitely a horrible mechanical failure :eek:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

I'm pretty sure lifting a car by the wheels' spokes isn't a recommended procedure :stare:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

You've got some ultra-low compression pistons there, I see.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Salvage the magnets - they are strong for their size and are great for recovering dropped screws when attached to the end of a long stick.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Horrible assembly failure. This car had 1800km's on the clock, never been touched. The lines are for the power steering. The clamps literally had never been fitted onto the hoses, they were just chillin' out halfway down so one of the lines just fell off. Someone missed a step in production I guess.

Must not a Leyland, then.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Maybe it's just the camera angle, but I wouldn't put too much faith in that particular ramp.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Billy Tully posted:

Looks like a Honda VTEC engine of some sort.

drat, you beat me to it. I was going to make a "VTEC just kicked in, yo" joke of some sort. :(

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

0toShifty posted:

VW keeps the flywheel on the transmission side.

Is there an advantage to doing this?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Devyl posted:

Ya know, it's pictures like these that make me wonder. The person who did that was competent enough to understand compressing the spring, but not the fact that Autozone rents out spring compressors. I mean, seriously.

Depending on where this person bought the zip ties from, they could have ended up being as expensive as a set of spring compressors.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Hell, I've driven the truck to Pennsylvania on a weekend trip (500 miles each way) with an engine hoist, full drivetrain, and full set of tools in the bed because I wasn't sure if it would make it and didn't have time to drop the new engine/trans in before leaving. Had all the accessories bolted on already, etc.

Well, this is probably the most AI thing I'm going to hear all summer.

GTi_guy posted:

The reason the announcer on the broadcast gave was parasitic drag. With the alternator running off the accessory belt, it would soak several HP from the engine.

Well, yes, but surely the alternator will add drag to the engine regardless of where it is in the power train (within reason).

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

"well it didn't break MY tables because my browser can stretch across two monitors :smug: "

That must make it a nightmare to read any text.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Great choice of team name, considering the circumstances.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Neither of my cars have retaining bolts on the rotors. The wheel nuts hold them in place through the wheel. I'm not sure what the purpose of the retaining bolt is, other than perhaps convenience when working on the callipers. Not that it's much trouble to just take the loose rotor off...

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

DrPain posted:

Customer said they attempted a DIY fuel filter replacement on their sweet '99 328i and now it has trouble starting and idling. Found these sweet brand new blue point hose clamps on the fuel line. Recommend customer stop attempting DIY stuff.

I hope they never try working on their brakes.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

:aaaaa:

Please send those pics to the manufacturer and post their response!

Better yet, mass-email all manufacturers claiming that it's their product, and post all the results.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Finger-tight is good enough.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

So if the Lincoln driver is found at fault, how are they going to work out the insurance payout for a car model that hasn't been released yet?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

MikeyTsi posted:

Guys, this spare is okay to use, right?

Give it a try and get back to us

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

So what the hell class is the Velostar, with it's asymmetrical 3-door hilarity?

Other than 'hatchback' of course.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Well, that's certainly something I've never seen before.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Basically, if you don't want heavy all-steel rims, you're going to have to deal with the fact that steel will be harder than your rim's metal.

Looks like you've created a market for titanium wheels.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

The King of Swag posted:

most people don't even know what that is

It's a hockey puck with a slot cut in it.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Your pressure plate looks as broken as my tables!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Are you sure you didn't accidentally drain the Mountain Dew and cream reservoirs instead?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If I owned an alignment shop, I'd do this on purpose :)

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

At first I thought the issue was the missing wheel studs, and didn't pay much attention to anything else - and then I was also like :stare:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

It's an AC compressor. A swash plate rides in the C cutouts of each piston. Many compressors use double sided pistons with the swash plate in the middle, to create a boxer-style arrangement.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 5, 2013

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If you remove the head, surely you can 'just' use a hydraulic press to push it out. Failing that, just drill the injector out. :D

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

When I was scrolling down and saw that top of that pic my first thought was "oh hey, somebody is posting a picture of a radial engine from an old aircraft."

I saw a gigantic 'fro.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

The fact that they have a tool like that in the first place tells you something.

I dread to think what it's doing to the engine mounts. Probably nothing bad.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

Never thought of it this way, but you're so right.

Does the fact that I've done both mean that I hate myself?

I think it gives you the right to hate everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

My favourite burn from the thread linked:

quote:

You'd have been better off using the tubing from the trampoline to make control arms.